• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Upgrade question..

babesboo99

Veteren Disney Vacationer
Out of curiosity, I was wondering what makes either HRH RPH OR PB give free upgrades? I have read that they have done that and I was just wondering why?

No clue, we have stayed at RPR and received upgrades from garden to pool view rooms with no extra charge. We have also stayed PBH and received garden to bay view with patios for no extra charge. I think it all depends on how busy it is, and what they might have available when you check in.

Plus it always help to be friendly :)

Free upgrades in hotels are purely luck. Depends upon multiple things; quantity of room types booked, $$$ paid for room, "Necessary" requests (connecting), Asking for upgrade, how generous the agent feels and how polite and friendly you are. The biggest determining factor is $$ paid for the room. For instance if there are 10 standard view rooms left and of those the agents know that there are 11 reservations for those 10 rooms they will begin looking at the different factors ($$ paid for room) if 10 people are paying $100 a night for the room but the 11th person is paying $150 then they will look to upgrade the $150 reservation.
You can always ask if an upgrade is available (normally doesn't work but always worth a shot). Most importantly don't be an @#$, we understand you have driven/flown for hours to get here with bored kids and a sometimes nagging co-pilot but we have also been working for hours with guests that can sometimes be real pains. If you are patient and kind things could happen in your favor!!!

Free upgrades in hotels are purely luck. Depends upon multiple things; quantity of room types booked, $$$ paid for room, "Necessary" requests (connecting), Asking for upgrade, how generous the agent feels and how polite and friendly you are. The biggest determining factor is $$ paid for the room. For instance if there are 10 standard view rooms left and of those the agents know that there are 11 reservations for those 10 rooms they will begin looking at the different factors ($$ paid for room) if 10 people are paying $100 a night for the room but the 11th person is paying $150 then they will look to upgrade the $150 reservation.
You can always ask if an upgrade is available (normally doesn't work but always worth a shot). Most importantly don't be an @#$, we understand you have driven/flown for hours to get here with bored kids and a sometimes nagging co-pilot but we have also been working for hours with guests that can sometimes be real pains. If you are patient and kind things could happen in your favor!!!

I have been upgraded many times at WDW and I booked with 35-40% off. I think it has more to do length of stay and availability. I have never been upgraded at Universal, but we usually stay club level so there really isn't anything to be upgraded to.

Over the years with many stays at Loews hotels and Universal using a discounted rate every time I have had many upgrades some offered some asked for. Maybe loyalty programs are factored into that also.

Ofinn and JessicaR, those also play a part. Hotels try to fill 100% every night and they try to fill the gaps as much as possible, Kinda like putting a puzzle together, always looking for the right piece.

Loyalty programs are huge to hotels so the higher you are in the program the more likely upgrades are. Also, if you are not a program member sheer number of stays and length of stays counts. When a team member looks at your reservation they can see the number of stays and overall room nights you have been with them.

Last trip we were upgraded to pool view at both WDW and UO! Lot's of pixie dust! Especially at BC looking over SAB... wow, now I really wanna go...

I think if you are celebrating something special, it helps as well. We booked 2 nights in a king suite with connecting 2Q room at Hard Rock for my daughter's sweet 16 and we were upgraded to club level. This was awesome with 5 teenage girls!

So let them know if you are celebrating something special.

Actually, we are celebrating my twins birthday and my 13th anniversary so I think I will tell them you never know

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter