:flower1: A third of my dues are now set for 2024! 10% discount plus the $9 back for the Costco Visa is pretty good considering I didn't have to jump through any hoops or anything.

I'm excited for the Costco offer! I have 5% back at warehouses on my Best Buy Citibank card. Hopefully that applies to Costco online. If not , 10% off my annual dues is still good :)

I do hope Costco starts carrying Disney gift cards. Especially since I didn't renew my Sam's membership that expired a couple weeks ago...

I saw your post shortly after you posted it, was about to text my DH, then remembered he had said we’d spent our DGC budget on several of Best Buy’s $50 DGC for $42.50 last week. Guess who came to me a couple hours later, having seen the Costco offer on FB! Turns out we hadn’t blown that discounted DVC dues budget after all!

I'm sorry for the confusion, ShopRite offer stands:

ShopRite
  • Buy 3rd Partygift cards & Get $20 Off next purchase
    • Must be one transaction.
    • Limit one per customer, with card
    • Excludes: ShopRite, Visa, Mastercard & all financial products.
    • Coupon prints at register and must be presented to redeem $20 on your next shopping order.
    • Minimum purchase of $20 required (excludes prescription medications, gift cards, postage stamp sales, milk, cigarettes, fuel, tobacco products, and alcoholic beverages or any other items prohibited by law).
    • Maryland: Expires 12/07/23.
    • Outside Of Maryland: Expires 12/09/23.
    • Post #21066
IMG_2024.jpeg
Just got next week’s circular and the $20 for $100 in GCs (excluding ShopRite and visa & Mastercard) is repeated.
offer valid 12/10/23-12/16/23
Redeem the $20 12/17/23-12/23/23

I always wonder where the discounts on these cards come from. Is Disney selling these to Costco for $220 each and Costco making 5 bucks a pop?
Mostly Disney. For them it's about cash flow and getting you to use/visit and spend more. There's also a small percentage of people that forgets or loses their cards, but mostly about cash flow.

They're giving away some of their "profit" to get your money today. It helps if they're struggling with cash flow, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're short. They can also use it for investments, improvements, etc.

It's like an interest free loan for them. You give them a loan and they'll pay you back at some point in the future. The difference is they'll pay you back with a service they have full control of the margins. So instead of a 20% profit in dining (made up number), they'll only have 10%, but got you to pay and commit to use it months/years in advance.

The second one is they're giving you a $25 discount betting that you're going to spend even more than $250 with them and they can recover what they gave you.

One of the few areas where I can see it really hurts them is DVC dues. They don't have any profit there, so technically that's lost money to them.

Mostly Disney. For them it's about cash flow and getting you to use/visit and spend more. There's also a small percentage of people that forgets or loses their cards, but mostly about cash flow.

They're giving away some of their "profit" to get your money today. It helps if they're struggling with cash flow, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're short. They can also use it for investments, improvements, etc.

It's like an interest free loan for them. You give them a loan and they'll pay you back at some point in the future. The difference is they'll pay you back with a service they have full control of the margins. So instead of a 20% profit in dining (made up number), they'll only have 10%, but got you to pay and commit to use it months/years in advance.

The second one is they're giving you a $25 discount betting that you're going to spend even more than $250 with them and they can recover what they gave you.

One of the few areas where I can see it really hurts them is DVC dues. They don't have any profit there, so technically that's lost money to them.
Yup and that's going to be where I spend most of it! I guess it's also very similar to Rakuten where the companies give us whatever marketing money was set aside directly through the shopping portals to get us to shop. When Costco or BJs or Sam's gives an extra discount on gift cards, such as when Southwest goes to 429 or 399 is that coming from the big box store's bottom line or have the companies basically subsidized those extra discounts as well.

For some reason, I wrote off the Costco DGCs as I was thinking it was 5% not 10%. I can't do math! Ordered my two, once I get them I will see if I can do one more order. Too bad I already hit my $1500 on my Chase Freedom lol. Depleted my gc stash on my last trip and with Dopey to Dumbo coming up this is a big help!

Edit: Placed 2 orders with 2 cards each, waited to get the 1st order before placing the 2nd order. No issues receiving both orders in under 15 minutes, will not try a 3rd based on experiences here. Used same Costco account and email/address but different credit cards. Thanks all!

Last edited:
I was just coming on to say this! I don't know what made me wake up this morning and check Costco's website but something told me to do it!
I'm excited for the Costco offer! I have 5% back at warehouses on my Best Buy Citibank card. Hopefully that applies to Costco online. If not , 10% off my annual dues is still good :)

I do hope Costco starts carrying Disney gift cards. Especially since I didn't renew my Sam's membership that expired a couple weeks ago...
My SAMS membership expires in 4 days so I'm hoping Costco will continue carrying DGC too! I have to pay off our April cruise!

Thanks everyone! I bit the bullet and got a Costco Membership. Even though the closest one is 24 miles away. I used a code that is supposed to give me a $40 shop card. Looks like I'll be going into town the next few days to make it all official. I was able to place the on-line order right after getting my membership. Will update when the gift cards arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter