10:03 a.m.

1662904413561.png

Meanwhile, a fourth California-bound plane–United Flight 93–was hijacked about 40 minutes after leaving Newark International Airport in New Jersey. Because the plane had been delayed in taking off, passengers on board learned of events in New York and Washington via cell phone and Airfone calls to the ground. Knowing that the aircraft was not returning to an airport as the hijackers claimed, a group of passengers and flight attendants planned an insurrection. One of the passengers, Thomas Burnett, Jr., told his wife over the phone that “I know we’re all going to die. There’s three of us who are going to do something about it. I love you, honey.” Another passenger—Todd Beamer—was heard saying “Are you guys ready? Let’s roll” over an open line. Sandy Bradshaw, a flight attendant, called her husband and explained that she had slipped into a galley and was filling pitchers with boiling water. Her last words to him were “Everyone’s running to first class. I’ve got to go. Bye.”

The passengers fought the four hijackers and are suspected to have attacked the cockpit with a fire extinguisher. The plane then flipped over and sped toward the ground at upwards of 500 miles per hour, crashing in a rural field in western Pennsylvania at 10:03 a.m. All 45 people aboard were killed.

I still remember where I was when I heard a "small plane" had hit one of the 2 towers. Being originally from the NYC area (I went to college across the river and could see the towers from my school). Still makes me mad... but it unified our country in a way that I wish we could be unified again today, just without the need for any loss of life. Never forget.

10:28 a.m.

1662906385834.png

More than 15 minutes after the terrorists struck the nerve center of the U.S. military, the horror in New York took a catastrophic turn for the worse when the south tower of the World Trade Center collapsed in a massive cloud of dust and smoke. The structural steel of the skyscraper, built to withstand winds in excess of 200 mph and a large conventional fire, could not withstand the tremendous heat generated by the burning jet fuel. At 10:28 a.m., the other Trade Center tower collapsed. Close to 3,000 people died in the World Trade Center and its vicinity, including a staggering 343 firefighters and paramedics, 23 New York City police officers, and 37 Port Authority police officers who were struggling to complete an evacuation of the buildings and save the office workers trapped on higher floors. Only six people in the World Trade Center towers at the time of their collapse survived. Almost 10,000 other people were treated for injuries, many severe.

I think this years anniversary has touched me deeper. We are still a divided nation struggling to keep our rights and our children safe, and many of us are feeling the loss of an amazing monarch who incidentally broke protocol to pay her respects and honor the lives lost on that horrible day.

Two days following the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II ordered the daily ceremonial parade to break a 600-year tradition to show solidarity with America in its time of great loss.

1662908518226.png

Behind the gates of Buckingham Palace, for the first and only time in United Kingdom history, at the request of the Queen, the Coldstream guards were ordered to play The Star-Spangled Banner.

Over 3,000 people watched the 45-minute ceremony at Buckingham Palace, including hundreds of Americans who were overseas during the attacks.

1662908656742.png

For hundreds of years, the Bands of the Household Division had only played a mix of traditional British songs of nationalism.

1662908667103.png

Queen Elizabeth arrives at ground zero to dedicate a wreath of flowers in remembrance of the victims of the attacks on September 11, 2001, on July 6, 2010, in New York City.

New York City's 9/11 Tribute Museum closes its doors for good, citing financial losses during the pandemic August 17, 2022

1662910398324.png

New York's 9/11 Tribute Museum closed its physical location in lower Manhattan Wednesday, less than a month before the 21st anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, citing financial losses during the pandemic.
"Financial hardship including lost revenue caused by the pandemic prevents us from generating sufficient funding to continue to operate the physical museum," Jennifer Adams, co-founder and CEO of the museum, said in a news release.

The museum opened in 2006 and provided information about 9/11 and the "unprecedented rescue and recovery operations and the rebuilding of both Lower Manhattan and of people's lives," according to their website.

The main difference between the tribute museum and the larger, nearby 9/11 Memorial & Museum at Ground Zero was their program's focus on first-hand stories from people who were directly affected which helped them in the healing process.

Added Offers ~ 9/11/22

Disney Gift Card Deals
Meijer: Earn $5 off your next purchase for every $50 spent on Disney Gift Cards
Limit 10. Direct link to offer.​
Expires 10/01/22. GCG

Discount District
Meijer: Earn $5 off your next purchase for every $50 spent on 3rd Party Gift Cards
Limit 10. Direct link to offer.​
Excludes: Meijer, iTunes, Amazon, Gaming, Sling TV, Google Play, CBS All Access, Spotify, HBO NOW, Hulu, Steam, Phone cards, Prepaid debit, Visa, Mastercard and American Express​
Expires 10/01/22. GCG

Note this Meijer offer is not a coupon you need to clip, all you need to do is plug in your mPerks account info at checkout.

Disney Gift Card Deals & Discount District

ShopRite: Buy $50 Any 3rd Party Gift Cards & Get $10 Off Next Purchase
  • Must be one transaction.
  • Limit one per customer.
  • Excludes ShopRite gift cards.
  • Coupon prints at register and must be presented to redeem $10 on your next shopping order
  • While supplies last. Subject to availability.
  • Direct link to weekly ad.
    • Maryland - Expires 9/15/22
    • Outside Of Maryland - Offer valid 9/11 - 9/17/22
    • GCG

There is a datapoint from a comment on GCG that this is not working for "any" gift card but only the ones pictured in the Shoprite ad (which is Best Buy, Dominos, Doordash, and Hulu).

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen as Shoprite is horrible with their wording when they do promos like this.

ShopRite:
  • Buy $50 Select Gift Cards & Get $10 Off Next Purchase
    • Includes: Best Buy, Dominos, Doordash, and Hulu
    • Coupon prints at register and must be presented to redeem $10 on your next shopping order
    • Outside Of Maryland - Expires 9/17/22
    • GCG
There is a datapoint from a comment on GCG that this is not working for "any" gift card but only the ones pictured in the Shoprite ad (which is Best Buy, Dominos, Doordash, and Hulu).

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen as Shoprite is horrible with their wording when they do promos like this.

Thanks for posting! Post # 1 & #2 have been updated.

ShopRite:
  • Buy $50 Select Gift Cards & Get $10 Off Next Purchase
    • Includes: Best Buy, Dominos, Doordash, and Hulu
    • Outside Of Maryland - Expires 9/17/22
    • GCG

Thanks for posting! Post # 1 & #2 have been updated.
Another data point: Home Depot cards at Shoprite this morning did not trigger the coupon.

And I was so sad to find out on here that the 9/11 tribute museum has closed. I had just been discussing making s return visit with my family. It was a sobering, gut wrenching experience. I may make a trip to Albany to see the collection agsin once it has all been moved. We also had an excellent experience with an extremely knowledgeable your guide associated with the museum through the memorial site itself. Sad that will no longer be available.😥

Looking for the best deal on Disney gift cards to pay off my cruise by the beginning of December. Let me know if you have any ideas on what to look for between now and then. I have memberships to all the big box clubs.

Looking for the best deal on Disney gift cards to pay off my cruise by the beginning of December. Let me know if you have any ideas on what to look for between now and then. I have memberships to all the big box clubs.
Welcome! This thread mod, FoxC63, does an incredible job of keeping the initial posts updated with the latest info so that's where you'll find the best current deals. Check back regularly as new deals are shared by the regulars here. :flower3:

Added Offers ~ 9/12/22

Discount District
Best Buy Online:
eGifter:
  • Buy $50 Banana Republic eGift Card for $40 with Promo code: BR922
    • Earn 2.5 eGifter Points per $1.00 spent
  • Limit 5. Direct link to offer.
  • Expires 9/30/22 or while supplies last.

Last edited:
And I was so sad to find out on here that the 9/11 tribute museum has closed. I had just been discussing making s return visit with my family. It was a sobering, gut wrenching experience. I may make a trip to Albany to see the collection agsin once it has all been moved. We also had an excellent experience with an extremely knowledgeable your guide associated with the museum through the memorial site itself. Sad that will no longer be available.😥
I share in your sadness. The closing of the Tribute Museum will have a profound effect on those suffering with PTSD. This was a place where they could share their story, a place for healing.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, are you willing to do some hoops & loops or are you a One Step Andy - see what I did there! I finally found the right moment to use it! :ssst: Have you looked at Post #1 Disney Gift Card Deals , that's all the deals I know of.

Last edited:

You need to pay it off by the beginning of December?

BlackFriday will be your friend.... lot more deals tend to pop up around then.

What do you think is the safest way to transfer DGC funds to another gift card? I am going to Disneyland next week and usually transfer big amounts, less than $1000, on 2 DGCs. This trip I'll have just under $1000. But with all the posts about drained cards makes me nervous. Am I better off ordering a card from ShopDisney and transferring everything to that one? Any suggestions?

What do you think is the safest way to transfer DGC funds to another gift card? I am going to Disneyland next week and usually transfer big amounts, less than $1000, on 2 DGCs. This trip I'll have just under $1000. But with all the posts about drained cards makes me nervous. Am I better off ordering a card from ShopDisney and transferring everything to that one? Any suggestions?
Transfer like normal and then delete your cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter