Update on Airport Security Proceedures?

Laz

DIS Veteran
What is the latest rules on security proceedures at airports? I recently read that they were going to start searching ALL luggage (checked and unchecked). Is this true? I also heard that business travelers were getting special passes to aviod security. If this is true this is very unfair for the leisure traveler! After all, I am an American by birth, why should I be discriminated against because I don't fly for business or as frequently? I will gladly allow any prescreening to get the pass. As a teacher, I already have an extensive search done to get my license. Any info would be appreciated.

That is a new one to me. I would think if you went to your airline's web site they would tell you what will be required.
BTW, it really does not matter what screening you went through to become a teacher, even high level military has to submit to searches if their number comes up.
When you buy the ticket it is a tacit agreement to go with the rules.

Certain airlines have started programs whereby their "elite" frequent travelers (and in some cases people holding first and business class tickets) would be directed to a separate security checkpoint where the lines are shorter. They will still be subjected to the same security requirements that everybody else is, they will just go through a separate line. Although I have not tried this yet, I'm led to believe that there is no noticable difference for leisure travelers. I don't think this is at all unfair to leisure travelers as "elite" frequent flyers give a significant amount of business to the airline (usually at least 50,000 miles per year) at the higher full fares (not the often discounted leisure fares), so I think a perk like this is not unreasonable.

BTW, I occasionally travel for business and have been subjected to the random liggage searches. Once you are by security, everybody is treated the same regarding random searches.

As for searching all of the luggage, I have not heard of that, unless the wrong answer is given to the questions asked by the baggage agent. Carry on luggage of all passengers is subject to search as before.

You will only be allowed 2 carry ons - purse counts as one.

I just flew this past weekend from NJ to Miami and it was tighter than in January when I flew from NJ to Orlando.

They are strict about the 2 carry ons per person. I had to put my purse in my suitcase or I would have had to check one piece in.

I totally disagree. Anyone who flys enough to be considered a FF should be able to get special privileges with that airline. Business travelers or frequent flyers should be able to get special cards saying they are frequent flyers. But if you think they won't get the same security searches as others, that is just not ture because this is something I know first hand. What they are giving FF is a special line for security and a plastic type card stating who they are. The airlines LOVE business travelers and does not want to discourage them in any way. There would not be as many choices of air travel time and airline companies if it wasn't for business travelers, not to mention the choices in destinations we are offered. I can only hope that they are x-raying or searching all luggage by now, no matter how long it takes.

RobinLyn:D

I completely agree with ballgame and Robin Lyn. It is a great perk for the business traveler or the FF.

The new Federal rules mandate that all luggage be screened in one of the following ways:

hand search, x-ray, bag matching. This way they can't have another Pan Am 103. Not that it really matters because someone intent on blowing a plane out of the sky isn't going to be deterred by any of the current regulations, and is willing to risk or give their own life to do so.

It's all just window dressing anyhow.

I've flown quite a bit since 9/11, and although it might look like a lot has changed, in reality nothing has. Except that with bag matching your bags are much less likely to be lost.

As far as giving special perks to high end frequent travellers, get over it. It happens, it's going to happen. Same thing as the Swan and Dolphin giving special incentives to teachers. They want the business, and need to make concessions to get it. It doesn't mean that the high end FF doesn't go through security, they go through the same thing. It's just that they have a shorter line to wait in.

It's the same as at checkin at the ticket counter, they have a seperate, shorter, line.

And by the way, nothing personal, but the screening you went through to get your teachers license means nothing. After all, Timothy Mc Veigh had served in our Armed Forces, swearing to protect America when he enlisted. All your screening means is that you haven't been convicted of any crimes. Neither have most of the people who have been involved with terrorism.

Anne

I work for an airport, and even though I am badged, and I am not boarding a flight, I still get wanded from head to toe and some seemingly private areas in between. :p

As for separate lines for FF, uh yeah, that's called doing good business. These are the airlines bread and butter.

Don't forget you may have to take your shoes off. :)

Just a reminder...all those terrorists on on AA and United booked first class.

My trick is not to be the first person to board the plane. The
"random" search selects that person 99% of the time.

My brother was recently flying someplace and the first person to board was a woman who appeared to be about 90 in a wheelchair. Yep, she was selected for search. As my brother and his friend said, they weren't too worried about her hijacking the plane, they figured they could take her without any trouble!

I will stand with my hat off to the majority. However, if you notice airlines are having an awful time making money right now. Until they make it convienent for us "cattle" passengers to fly, profits will continue to suffer.

Originally posted by CarolA
My trick is not to be the first person to board the plane. The
"random" search selects that person 99% of the time.

I found this out the hard way. On our first post 9/11 flight in December, we were in the back of the plane. So after they boarded the first class people, we figured our row would be called in the first group, so we got up and got in line. Well I got pulled. By the time they were done searching, they were up to row 12 (we were in 26 or something like that). So now we always hang back until our row is called.

One change I noticed on our May (PIT-MCO) and June flights (PIT-ACY) - they are no longer asking for ID at the security checkpoint. I had it out the first time and they said to show it at the gate. None of the remaining 3 times were we asked. I did get pulled at security at MCO in May and went through the bag and shoe check (no wand).

I will stand with my hat off to the majority. However, if you notice airlines are having an awful time making money right now. Until they make it convienent for us "cattle" passengers to fly, profits will continue to suffer.

What would you suggest? Making the FF go in a longer line and we "cattle " passengers go in the shorter line? I don't think so, Business, as stated before, is the bread and butter of the industry, we are just the "icing on the cake". Suffering, not anymore, however, without the business traveler, it would really suffer.

Give me the discounted fares anytime, I will gladly stand in the lines.

Just an FYI, you are selected by random for those searches.
SWA's computer, for one, randomly generates an "x" on the tickets, if you are the lucky one holding the "x" ticket, you are searched, it matters not where in the line you are.

Naturally, each time these "x" pax were selected they had HUGE carry on bags, held things up big time.

When we used USAir in December, they had a system where if your boarding pass had a "S" on it in the corner, you had to go to the search table at the gate. In May I noticed they did not do this, instead they called out the passenger's names and asked them to come to the desk. On both trips, they also pulled people randomly from the line. In December, my boarding pass did not have an "S" but I was pulled from the line in the random check. The guard just came over and asked me to go to the check table, without even looking at my boarding pass. Probably because I had a large carryon (my laptop was in it). In May they pulled mostly men but I noticed that each time they usually pull one little old lady, I guess to make it look like they don't discriminate.

When we went to Atlantic City (charter with Ryan Air), they were just pulling randomly from the line. I don't think they had a computerized seating system, the boarding pass was hand written.

What I "suggest" is that the airlines install an advanced way of screening passengers convienently. Will it happen? I don't know. A number of possible outcomes could happen. The almighty dollar will determine the future of air travel. The paying public will give us the answer. Without enough money, the airlines will have to change or beg from the federal gov't, turning them into another Amtrak.

You must understand, I am picky about how I travel. I don't care for wdw buses and I know most of the DIS freinds out there don't mind them. I chose to drive to the parks in my car. For airlines, I will let others stand in line and be herded, searched, and questioned, I will take the time and drive. I chose to spend my transportation dollars on what I feel is best for me. If I am in the minority, so be it. If more follow my path, who knows?

In the end, thats what makes America great--the right to chose:smooth:

OK here's a quick question. I will be flying woth a six year old in a few weeks. They don't pick children do they? I would hate for her to be searched. Also how the heck would you explain to a child about that!!!

Yes a child can be picked to be searched. Some people are making it sound horrible and maybe scary. It's really not. If you go with the thought that you may be searched and pack accordingly, it can be a breeze. Also, I think it is VERY important to prepare a child for what MAY happen when you go to the airport. Then it won't seem like such a big deal.

You wouldn't believe the attitudes and the nastiness that the checkpoint people and the airline people have to deal with because so many people believe they are above being searched.

Last week this was woman in her early 20s that had a carry on full of dirty clothes. ewwww. You couldn't pay me enough to search through that. :)

And ummm there is an advance "search" going on, you just don't know about it. The random search allows ailrines for the flagging of individuals that meet certain "requirements", heaven forbid I should say profiling here. :o :rolleyes: :D

Yes, I've seen children get flagged to be searched. no biggie. They have to take off their shoes and hold out their arms to be wanded. While this is going on their carry on is being searched. Why? Well, why not? In case you are too young to remember Viet Nam...you might want to look it up and find out how children were used to kill many allied troops.

Now, if you'd like to know how flawed this system is, earlier this year DH and I were travelling together. He was carrying one of my carryons (the larger of them actually), and I had my hand bag. I was selected for the search. Needless to say I didn't grab my other carry on from DH and offer it to be searched, I simply walked over with my handbag and literally snickered under my breath about how ridiculous the window dressing is.

Anne

I just flew a little over a week ago. I was "chosen" for search right at the security checkpoint. I had two bags with me (none were searched going thru the actual checkpoint - it's before you get on the tram to go to the gates). The guy had me take off my shoes and he wiped and tested them. He took my one bag, and wiped it, and tested it. The bags were never opened. I had a laptop in the bag that I never had to turn on at either airport. CD's, CD player, cables and wires for the laptop, zip drive, zip disks, electric razor - all this stuff was in the one bag and it was never opened (they wiped the bag with my clothes in it). It seems like as the days go on, airport security has decreased (I had to do a research paper on it in January, and found it to be at a much higher level). Hopefully it's just a decrease of cosmetic security, and not the true unseen security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter