Update: booked the cruise! Transatlantic with a 3 year old vs multi-city "land" trip

Aimeedyan

DIS Veteran
TL;DR: we are going somewhere in May with a 3 year old and older grandparents - either multi-city trip to Europe or a transatlantic cruise. Which would you do?

We are seriously considering the transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona in May vs a traditional multi-city European trip. The thought of checking in and out of multiple hotels, two long flights, navigating busy cities each day, and creating itineraries that my toddler (and seniors) can handle got to feeling a bit overwhelming. I randomly ran the numbers on a cruise, thinking that having an opportunity to dip into a few wonderful places, and having a "home base" for meals and sleeping might be easier with a toddler. The all-in cost is about the same but for almost twice the length of trip! Plus that kid's club is a big perk :teeth:

This trip also includes grandparents (all 70+) and a cruise would offer a bit less forced family fun and more mobility ease.

If we can arrange the time off work, both me and DH are basically sold but I realize that 13 nights + a couple nights in Barcelona at the end is a really long trip for a three year old. He has been a rockstar traveler so far, but we've never gone anywhere that long (8 nights is the longest so far). He loooooved the Disney cruise we did last fall and asks daily when we can go again. He did very well on that trip, but it was just a 4 night. The "land" trip would be 7 nights and the cruise would end up being 15-16 nights.

If choosing between an "all land" trip visiting a couple cities vs a longer cruise with just 1 city at the end, for the same amount of money, *with* a 3 year old and senior adults in tow, which would you choose? Am I not considering anything that you'd mention?

Bonus question: never used a travel agent but if we book, it'll be multiple cabins and would be worth the help and onboard credit. I have had a bad experience in the past. Can you anyone recommend an amazing agent that is responsive and knowledgeable on Disney cruises and international trips? Feel free to message me if it's easier :)

Last edited:
Only you know your son, but I’m going on that TA cruise…

There are several beautiful cities as stops, and some great history to explore.

I’m always a fan of getting more for my money - and as you’ve described, that might be case with this cruise.

On my last TA there were fewer than 20 people under 18 (different cruise line), so that may be a concern, too.

Of those two choices, I would definitely do the cruise, especially since you said your child loved your last cruise. We did a multi-city land tour in Europe when my DS was 7 and it was a lot for him. The next year we did B2B DCL Europe cruises and he loved them - it was just the right balance of seeing interesting, new places and having a home base with a lot of fun things to do. Moving around unfamiliar cities and changing hotels with a toddler will not be a vacation.

I agree with other posters. Since you have mobility issues with both young and old travelers, the ability to rest whenever necessary will be a major advantage.

At 3 years old, your son may not be bothered by the length of trip, since his family will be with him and he enjoyed the previous cruise. I agree staying in one room will be much easier on him than sleeping in a different place every night or two.

Another beneficial aspect of the cruise with a mixed-age group is that on sea days (and even on port days if you’re willing to do different excursions) everyone can do the activities that interest them even if they don’t work for or appeal to other group members. Then everyone can meet at dinner (without having to find a restaurant that everyone likes) to discuss their day.

A multi-city trip might be more interesting for adults, but many of the most interesting European attractions for adults would bore a toddler. I think a cruise followed by a few days in one city would be ideal for the group you have.

For your party, the cruise option seems like a no-brainer. With a 3yo (who still needs a booster/car seat and stroller) plus 4 adults, travel within cities is going to be complicated. You all won't fit into one regular size cab, for example. And it might be a lot to deal with trains. Older folks may have mobility issues in tourist areas, too (cobblestones), and just generally older buildings that aren't so easy to get around.

Having said all that - your 3yo is going to be older before you know, and travel with him will be much easier. You've got plenty of time to do stuff with him. By the time he's old enough for it to be easy, though, the older grandparents will be even older. So if they are still quite mobile and energetic and actually want to do a land-based trip in that fashion, with specific bucket list sites to visit - don't put it off.

Cruise would be so much easier. We have done London and France with a 3 year old. It was OK but not great. France has very little accessible access, ie escalators, stairs, so a stroller is mostly a no go except on sidewalks. London was better but still not terribly accessible. Eating was a hassle in France, because lunch and dinner are late. If you have a balcony on the cruise, you can sit on it while the child sleeps.

Living in Europe where people tend to take longer vacations I can tell you that the one thing nearly all my friends with small kids stressed was how they find having one or two home bases makes traveling with kids so much more relaxed. Not just for the logistical issues. But also that many small kids need to feel at home and find it stressful to adjust to new places again and again. So I think the cruise would be perfect for that.

We are totally voting for the TA on this one. Not just because we are fans of cruises, and longer with more sea days is only a bonus for us. There are very few vacations these days that let you relax and enjoy. With your party mix of older and younger family members, the DCL TA seems like one of the best options for everyone to get some together time as well as some relaxation.

We have done the TA on DCL as well as the inaugural Norway/Iceland and Scotland cruise. Happy to answer any specifics on our experiences.

Highly recommend cruising for an international trip with a 3 year old.

We did the Norwegian Fjords cruise last year and my daughter turned 3 - it was so wonderful. We did London before and after the cruise and that was fun but way more stressful with a toddler. Having your hotel essentially float to each destination with dinner and meals handled, and the kids club is something that can't be beat at this age.

We loved it so much we booked the Greek Isles for this year. She'll be 3, almost 4.

Definitely the cruise!!! We took our 4 yo son with his late 70s grandparents to Israel last October. We had a choice of land tour or cruise with RCL from Rome around Greece and Israel. So glad we took the cruise. Some say traveling with small children is never a vacation but cruises certainly work when you have the kids clubs with other kids to interact with. Our son was willing to "tolerate" the sometimes lengthy excursions knowing that he would get to play in the kids clubs at night. It also gave tired parents and grandparents a break. He actually preferred to be in the kids clubs till closing so we found ourselves having some free time which we just used to catch up on some sleep. We are taking the EBTA on Disney this May as we know this will be preferred travel for him. Even more so as we are hoping there will be other kids on the excursions to interact with as there were not many other kids on the October trip. I really think you would be totally exhausted if you tried to do the land tour. You would see more adult oriented sights on a multi-city tour but might have to deal with a cranky toddler. Have a great time!!

We took our 3 yo on a transatlantic. It was wonderful. No jet lag when we got to Europe. It was really a fabulous way to travel with our little one!
I hope whatever trip you take it is a a good one! :)

UPDATE: Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight! We are booking the transatlantic and are so excited! Plus, we got a great travel agent recommendation from @Flossbolna which I am so grateful for.

I joined the group on FB and it looks like a good amount of kids (esp his age) so I'm hopeful there will be enough for him to have playmates but no so many that the character lines are super long :laughing:

Good choice Aimeedyan! We will be on the same cruise. Only problem with late sign up is there may be limited excursion choices available. However, many independent tours are available. We used Around Lisbon tours 10 years ago and it was great for Lisbon obviously. Hope to meet you and your family on the cruise. Take care.

Hope you have a great time. We did all our EBTA excursions independently (in some cities, just wandered around) and it was an amazing trip.

UPDATE: Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight! We are booking the transatlantic and are so excited! Plus, we got a great travel agent recommendation from @Flossbolna which I am so grateful for.

I joined the group on FB and it looks like a good amount of kids (esp his age) so I'm hopeful there will be enough for him to have playmates but no so many that the character lines are super long :laughing:
Hope you have a fantastic cruise! We will be getting on the Dream the day you get off!

We are on the EBTA also! It is going to be great!

Hopefully, you will write a trip report. I always love them.
Oh thanks!! I want to. My last attempts got stuck and aren’t finished. I probably should still finish them. But I do feel that a cruise like this will be more contained and therefore easier to write.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter