UP! Great Bird Adventure - worthwhile?

I'm pretty much a sucker for anything animal related & I would say nope. Old show was way better. One and done for us.

Wow! We have such a different opinion. Our family loves the Nemo show. In fact, I think it is my husband's favorite thing is all of Disney World. I like the Lion King show, but I'm the only one in our family that does!

We had not done the bird show for many years (we really enjoy the one at Dollywood and felt the one at AK was not nearly that good). We happened to be passing by in January when a show was starting and decided to try it. We were surprised that we very much enjoyed the new bird show and thought the Up characters really added to the fun. So, it might be worth seeing if you can slip it in, but I wouldn't choose it over Nemo or LK. They are both just much bigger productions.

Previous show was so much better. I seen the new show in December and was not impressed; it's watered down. Don't see the point of the Disney characters being part of the show. It added absolutely nothing to the show.

I would rather see Nemo twice.

I enjoyed the old bird show... once. Is it worth seeing this one or is it really just a revamp of the old one with a lose story?

For us, it would be instead of Lion King or Nemo.
I don't feel the new show is nearly as good as the old one was. To me, the UP characters are a distraction, and take away from the show. For sure I would pick Lion King over Up, and it's kind of a toss up with Nemo. Nemo is, at least, air conditioned, which can be a big plus in AK where it seems it is always hot.

Let this thread be a lesson to you, Bob Iger. IP done poorly or in the wrong place is not more popular then a "non descript rollercoaster....themed like India (sic)."

We liked the old show. We haven't made it to the UP show yet and it's not on the itinerary this trip either. I hope they fix it. I did like seeing the birds.

Sad to hear. We love birds of prey shows. We thought Flights of Wonder was good, but too much talking and not enough birds. Sounds like this show is a step in the wrong direction.

We only saw the new show (second iteration, I think) once after having been longtime fans of FoW. The main thing we noticed was that much of the audience interaction has been removed. (I always liked being the "dollar bill guy".) And the "hostess" seemed to be trying really hard, but she had just an awful script to work with.

Last edited:
Do they sell UP merch there? I'm looking for a Carl shirt. The last two trips to Disney World, I have found nothing except a couple pins.

I saw the new show last August and my daughter and I thought it was pretty boring. I liked FoW better. I doubt we will bother seeing this version again. FotLK and Nemo are both way better options. I enjoy both shows but Lion King is my favorite.

I liked FOW much more. Found FOW entertaining and informative. UP seems lackluster and as JB said fewer birds. Found UP characters out of place and serving no purpose to concept of the show. HOWEVER, i hate nemo so would pick UP over it (unless I need a nap). FOTLK is a must see for us and no contest deciding UP or FOTLK
I agree with every bit of this.

I love Lion King, too, but the rest of the family whines when I suggest it. I don't actually remember Nemo, other than we had to get there early to get a seat. I wonder if they still have standing room only?
We saw Nemo about a week ago (Sunday, 24 February). We walked in about 10 minutes before the show and got seats towards the back of the theatre. The show did not completely fill up.

I agree with every bit of this.
I also agree. We really enjoyed the old bird show the one time we saw it several years ago. We saw the new version in February. We enjoyed it and were once again very impressed with the birds. We didn't think the UP! characters added anything - we would have preferred to see more of the trainers interacting with the birds. We were able to walk into the ampitheatre about five or ten minutes before the show and get a seat about halfway back, so it was a relaxing and still enjoyable attraction to do without any pre-planning other than to check the times guide about one hour earlier. I would definitely rate Festival of the Lion King more highly (although I haven't managed to see it for many years). We also enjoyed Nemo but did find it to be a bit of an odd show. If I had to choose between Nemo and the bird show, I would do it based upon the weather on the day, times of shows and how they fit within my other plans.

Agree with PPs - we prefer the old bird show as opposed to the Up one. Agree that there are fewer birds, and more focus on the characters and story rather than the birds. We were disappointed by it.

Lion King is one of our favorite shows on property, so I would most definitely choose that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter