UO for Xmas Week- First Trip, Looking for tips

keepswimming76

Mouseketeer
We’re heading to Universal Orlando for the first time with our kids and are living dangerously by going from Dec 25-31. It will be a Christmas surprise for our kids. I can hardly wait!

I know Disney World inside and out, and I’m feeling really unprepared for this trip. I have several questions and appreciate any tips or advice on any of them.

We’re staying at HRH in a standard room. We haven’t decided how many days for parks so we haven’t purchased tickets yet. We have five days for parks, and I’m guessing we’ll do at least three, possibly four. We will be doing 2 park, park-to-park for sure. Our kids are 8 and 12 and we’ll want to do pretty much everything we can, at least as far as rides are concerned. We tend to wake up early on vacation, hit parks early and either take a break, or push through and leave mid-afternoon.

With park openings at 8 am what time do you recommend being at the gate for EE?

With the crowds, should we just be prepared to just schedule a mid-day break most days?

We are not super-picky about food and one of the hardest mental struggles for me is figuring out a fast breakfast, especially with EE so early. What do other people do? With no microwave in the room at HRH that makes my typical hotel breakfast of oatmeal cups a no-go. Where is the best place to grab a quick bite from HRH to the parks? Also, we will not have a car.

With it being our first trip to UO, which park do you suggest we start with? The kids are very much into Harry Potter right now, so we will want to head to those areas first.

We want to get the kids Ollivander wands, but can't decide if we should order them and give them as a gift for Christmas to tell them about the trip - or if we wait and get them at the store.

I’ve considered scheduling a day for Volcano Bay but I’m really apprehensive with the weather. I’ve also thought about a day at Sea World. With the holiday crowds I kind of think just sticking with UO would be less stressful, buying four day tickets and relaxing the rest of the time.

Again, I appreciate any tips, advice, suggestions, etc.

We haven't been around Christmas so I can't really give advice on crowd related things specifically but have a couple thoughts.

Regarding getting to the gate for EE, I would suggest not. If you're up anyway go for lower crowds for spells and ambiance but they don't take express pass during EE. You're going to end up waiting longer for the rides than you will at 9. If you are the type of person who wants to be sure to see all the queues, at least do EE once to catch the queues with lower lines (I am not that type of person but to each their own :duck:). We did EE one day and then decided we have a better time at park close and the kids can't do both.

I would get the wands at Ollivanders. It's part of the fun and there was a thread here recently that it's hard to find them for much cheaper anyways. We bought a stuffed Hedwig for our reveals again she brought Hogwarts letters. It's really easy to grab an image of the crest and Google the official wording. Or you can buy kits.

If you decide not to get the wands ahead of time, start with Diagon Alley to get the wands soon after you arrive. I would start there in general because it's more like the books.

I would go for a 4 day ticket. Less stress, less expense. We've done that the last couple of years and don't feel like we run out of things to do, especially with the extra holiday events going on.

We order cereal and milk, granola bars, etc from instacart for our breakfasts. It worked out really easy. We meant to meet the driver in the lobby but missed him or her and they just left the groceries with bell services.

Have fun. I'm sure you're kids will be very excited to get this Christmas present.

The Kitchen restaurant at hrh opens early for breakfast
Buffet breakfast or menu order

Rpr has orchid court which opens at 6:00 am each morning

Your time period for the trip will have crowds

Take advantage of the early entry to the parks each morning
Eat at 6 and head for the parks

Use the ep during your stay
It will help on line waits

There will be crowds that week but EP will help A LOT. With the shorter hours at UO we tend to start a little later (10ish bu the time we get to the gates) but then stay later. We find the crowds really start to clear out in the evenings.

If you do go early you can ride Hogwarts Express right at 9 (we actually found the first train leaving at 8:50) and there is a slightly longer process to verify your tickets so you can meander over early. I think wands at the park are a most for HP fans. You get to see a little show, maybe one of you will be picked, and then you get wands. Diagon Alley is bigger and tends to go faster but EE in Hogsmeade can also work.

We do breakfast at the little bakeries (or eat leftover giant pink donuts from the Simpsons!).
My only advice is be flexible with your plans. With EP you can usually take rides as you come to them. If one area seems really crowded hop to the other side (it can take 5-15 minutes to change gates so it’s nothing like WDW). Avoid HP during the middle of the day as it can be wall to wall.

Have fun! We’d love to hear what you thought after your trip.

HRH has a little grab and go in the lowest level called emack & bolios. They have premade breakfast sandwiches/bagels etc.
we usually get protein bars etc and eat those in the room, have a snack at 9, then have an early lunch.

Early entry is a good time to do the wand experience. Definitely get them in the park, it's a great experience.

Since you are at HRH, I strongly recommend just walking. The boat saves you no time or steps. You won't believe how close you are. Ask staff where the pool gate is onto the walking path.

We are also visiting during this same (exact!) time and staying at HRH. Definitely following, so I can learn also. My husband and I visited USO about 24 years ago, so it’s a bit different now. We’ll be traveling with our 14 yo son and one of his friends. Maybe we’ll run into you!

I, too, will be there almost the exact same time (arriving morning of 12/22 to leaving morning of 12/29), will be staying at HRH, and will be traveling with a (just turned - on 12/1) 15 yo son, and a (even more just turned) 16 yo old daughter.

We should plan a meet-up!

I plan to try to do Toothsome for dinner on 12/22, if able, as that is my daughter's "Sweet" Sixteen.

Also, my family has this tradition where we get together every Christmas Eve with friends and have dinner at a Mexican Restaurant (it helps that we all love Mexican food.) We call it Feliz Navidad. We were going to try it just us on 12/24 by having dinner at Antojitos at CityWalk. It would make it even more special if others would like to join us!

This Holiday Season is going to be very hard on me, as my Godmother, my paternal grandmother, my Granny, and my mom recently passed away, my Grandfather moved to NC to start a new life, my in-laws have medical issues, and my sister-in-law is out of the country. Basically, everyone who made the Holiday special is gone. So my Husband and I decided to go to Universal for Christmas to make different memories, rather than be home missing everyone that's gone.

Not trying to depress anyone. We're all really excited about the trip, and love meeting new people! Just 25 more sleeps left!!

We are overlapping a bit with our stay at Cabana Bay 12/25-12/29. Hubs and I did Disney last year (picking up the DCP kid who's program ended 1/4/18) and we went a few days early. I am anticipating crowds like that, but with less stress - we have premier passes with the EP after 4, so no stressing on FP times/selections!

Our 16 yo dd and 12 yo ds will be with us, and I am making them take their wands this time-doing the spells are FUN for adults too! All 3 kids got wands a few years ago in Diagon Alley-although they didn't get chosen it was a definite must do for our middle kid who is a HUGE Potterhead.

Definitely ride the Hogwarts express both ways. Start in Diagon alley like Harry did. Be sure to visit Knockturn Alley too! I think lots of folks miss Knockturn alley as it is a bit out of way and never seems to be too crowded...

I think the queues for Forbidden journey and Escape from Gringotts are an absolute must do at least once. Go into Gringotts and exchange dollars for goblin money.
Take your time through the FJ queue too-let folks pass if you want. It is soooo worth seeing each room fully, and the story of the ride is set up in the rooms. This is one queue if wait time is 25-45 minutes it is worth the wait to get to see all the rooms IMHO. The books literally come to life in the castle.

Also, my family has this tradition where we get together every Christmas Eve with friends and have dinner at a Mexican Restaurant (it helps that we all love Mexican food.) We call it Feliz Navidad. We were going to try it just us on 12/24 by having dinner at Antojitos at CityWalk. It would make it even more special if others would like to join us!
Sounds like the start to a new great tradition!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter