Unused park tickets....

loinsley

Can we RETIRE here!?!?!?!
Has anyone had any recent (in the last month or two) success using unused park tickets towards the purchase or renewal of annual passes???

Has anyone had any recent (in the last month or two) success using unused park tickets towards the purchase or renewal of annual passes???

Yes. That is a very common process.

If you want help in procedure and cost, please provide all of the information on the tickets
that you HAVE.

What kind of tickets are they? (Number of days? Hoppers? Water Parks?)
Exactly WHEN did you buy them?
From WHOM did you buy them?
Where are the tickets currently? (Entered in an MDX account? On a plastic card? Etc?)
What kind of AP is wanted?

Cost to Upgrade Tickets:

"Price bridging" for Upgrading Tickets has changed in some cases.
Tickets purchased from stock issued before the most recent
price increase of Feb. 11, 2018 (this is not necessarily related to the date that you purchased your tickets) will be bridged only to the price that Disney sold these tickets to the public at the time.

That means:
There are currently three different ticket upgrade scenarios:

Ticket bought from an Authorized Reseller/Discounter
Ticket bought as part of a WDW Resort Package:
Ticket bought at a Disney Store:
A __ Created BEFORE Feb.12,2017 - (2016) Prices HERE.
B __
Created BETWEEN Feb.12,2017 & Feb.11,2018 (2017) Prices HERE.
C __
Created ON and AFTER Feb.11,2018. (2018) Price list HERE.

A __________
Find the full Disney 2016 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2016 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2016 price from the current 2018 full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT. 2018 Price list HERE.
Pay that difference price for the upgrade.

B __________
Find the full Disney 2017 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2017 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2017 price from the current 2018 full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT. 2018 Price list HERE.

C __________
Find the full Disney 2018 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2018 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2018 price from the current full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT on the (same) 2018 Price list.

Yes. That is a very common process.

If you want help in procedure and cost, please provide all of the information on the tickets
that you HAVE.

What kind of tickets are they? (Number of days? Hoppers? Water Parks?)
Exactly WHEN did you buy them?
From WHOM did you buy them?
Where are the tickets currently? (Entered in an MDX account? On a plastic card? Etc?)
What kind of AP is wanted?

I was just wondering this as well. My aunt has tickets she bought in the early 90s that were the ones that aren’t ever supposed to expire. Do they still honor those? Do you have to pay any extra to use them? Thanks!!!

Cost to Upgrade Tickets:

price increase of Feb. 11, 2018 (this is not necessarily related to the date that you purchased your tickets) will be bridged only to the price that Disney sold these tickets to the public at the time.

That means:

B __
C __

A __________
Find the full Disney 2016 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2016 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2016 price from the current 2018 full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT. 2018 Price list HERE.

B __________
Find the full Disney 2017 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2017 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2017 price from the current 2018 full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT. 2018 Price list HERE.

C __________
Find the full Disney 2018 price for the kind of ticket that you HAVE on the 2018 Price list HERE.
Subtract that 2018 price from the current full Disney price for the kind of ticket that you WANT on the (same) 2018 Price list.

As annual pass holders we have in the past bought a package deal which included free dining. BUT we had to buy a 2 day park hopper as part of the package to get the free dining - BECAUSE of the annual passes we did not use the 2 day tickets - but instead later used them towards the purchase of renewing our passes. Last fall we were led to believe that we would no longer be allowed to do this - I'm just wondering if anyone done this recently. Just trying to make a "plan" IF free dining is again offered for late fall mid/mid December, but includes the 2 day tickets as a part of the package....if we aren't allowed to use those tickets towards the purchase of our annual passes - the deal isn't quite as worth it! :)

Last edited:
Cost to Upgrade Tickets:

That means:

B __
C __

A __________

B __________

C __________
Can I upgrade my UT ticket to an AP online through the MDE (MDX) app before actually going to WDW, or would I have to wait until I get to WDW? Also, if I have a 6 day PH plus extra day from UT, does it upload as a 7 day PH? Thank you :)

I was just wondering this as well. My aunt has tickets she bought in the early 90s that were the ones that aren’t ever supposed to expire.
1. Do they still honor those?
2. Do you have to pay any extra to use them?
1. Yes.
2. No.

1. Can I upgrade my UT ticket to an AP online through the MDE (MDX) app before actually going to WDW,
2. or would I have to wait until I get to WDW?
3. Also, if I have a 6 day PH plus extra day from UT, does it upload as a 7 day PH? Thank you :)

1. Nope.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. Because it actually IS a 7-day PH. (The "one day free" is just another way of marketing the ticket.)

As annual pass holders we have in the past bought a package deal which included free dining.
1. BUT we had to buy a 2 day park hopper as part of the package to get the free dining -
2. BECAUSE of the annual passes we did not use the 2 day tickets - but instead later used them towards the purchase of renewing our passes.
3. Last fall we were led to believe that we would no longer be allowed to do this - I'm just wondering if anyone done this recently. Just trying to make a "plan"
4. IF free dining is again offered for late fall mid/mid December, but includes the 2 day tickets as a part of the package....if we aren't allowed to use those tickets towards the purchase of our annual passes - the deal isn't quite as worth it! :)
1. Yes. Buying the "minimum ticket" to get certain resort package deals has been a requirement for at least a decade.
2. Again, very common.
3. That was incorrect information. (Which, sadly, is ALSO far too common.)
4. Nothing has changed in the ability to use the value of unused tickets to help pay for APs and AP upgrades.

1. Nope.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. Because it actually IS a 7-day PH. (The "one day free" is just another way of marketing the ticket.)
Thank you so much!! I have been so afraid to do it this way because of the many different experiences everyone has had, but with the MM and parking being included, I really have to give this another look. Worse case scenario I have a hard time upgrading, but I still have my 7 day PH :) The reason I ask about doing it before getting to WDW is that I keep reading about how important it is to have your AP card and get your magicband in time for your trip; so does that mean the only way I can have those things is to purchase the AP directly from disney without upgrading my ticket?

Even if you buy directly from Disney, you won’t get your AP card and be able to choose your Magicband until you have activated your AP, which is done at a park or Disney Springs. Generally, you will not have your AP Magicband for your first trip using the AP.

Even if you buy directly from Disney, you won’t get your AP card and be able to choose your Magicband until you have activated your AP, which is done at a park or Disney Springs. Generally, you will not have your AP Magicband for your first trip using the AP.
Thank you :) I don't know why that has been mentioned so many times, but I am glad I asked ;)

1. Yes. Buying the "minimum ticket" to get certain resort package deals has been a requirement for at least a decade.
2. Again, very common.
3. That was incorrect information. (Which, sadly, is ALSO far too common.)
4. Nothing has changed in the ability to use the value of unused tickets to help pay for APs and AP upgrades.

Thanks RoBo!!

I also have 3 paper tickets from late 80's to early 90's that have one day each left on them. Do I have to change them to a current ticket? I was wondering because I can't upload them on MDE to make FP with these. How do I exchange them for current tickets?

I also have 3 paper tickets from late 80's to early 90's that have one day each left on them.
1. Do I have to change them to a current ticket?
2. I was wondering because I can't upload them on MDE to make FP with these.
3. How do I exchange them for current tickets?
1. Yes.
2. That is the normal problem with such old tickets.
3. Take them to any ticket booth or Guest Relations at WDW and the CM (at no charge) will issue current hard plastic RFID tickets (that can be used at the park gate(s) and for FPs) with the same asset(s) as your old ticket.

Will they combine the 3 one day PH to a 3 day PH or issues 3 separate tickets? And do they expire once they are traded in?

My stepmom bought 7 day park tickets and had to change her plans and will only be there for 5 days now. Is there any hope at all of her calling and getting the tickets changed to 5 days and getting reimbursed the difference? I would tell her to hold on to them if they didn't expire but she has to use all of her passes within 14 days of the first day she uses a ticket, right? Anyone ever tried calling and explaining to see? If not, no big deal, it is probably only $100-150 and she chose to change her plans and can live with the consequences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter