Universal's Epic Universe - News and Discussion

Are you excited for Epic Universe?

• Yes

• No

• I'm excited for everything but the name.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Alicia on Twitter just said that many of the rides are being built with single rider queues, which makes me very happy! The abundance of single rider lines at Universal is one of the things they do better than Disney IMO

She also guesses that Express won't be available for the first year but she doesn't exactly know.

Alicia on Twitter just said that many of the rides are being built with single rider queues, which makes me very happy! The abundance of single rider lines at Universal is one of the things they do better than Disney IMO

She also guesses that Express won't be available for the first year but she doesn't exactly know.
Disney doesn't have many single rider lines because they promote the family experience. They don't want to make you ride a ride with someone who is not in your party when at all possible.

Disney doesn't have many single rider lines because they promote the family experience. They don't want to make you ride a ride with someone who is not in your party when at all possible.
Test Track and Everest are the only 2 single rider lines worth it anyway. You wait longer than standby with Rock n Roller Coaster.

At Universal they're great except for Velocicoaster and Hagrid's. Very happy to see that Epic will have a lot of them (wasn't specified which rides have them but they're in the ride permits).

I'm surprised they're doing another dual launch coaster after the injuries that happened with the last one. I hope they make people go through metal detectors for this one but I could still see things like eyeglasses flying off and injuring people on the other track.
It seems designed to avoid it. Most of the dueling is side by side and not passes/near misses. The only one of those seems to be at the front when they swoop past each other at the midpoint out front, but they built a barrier between the tracks.

And glad to hear many single rider lines in place. They have been such a time save on many trips. The Marvel rides especially are amazing for them. There usually aren't many people in line so many times have practically walked onto Fear Fall and Spider-Man when they've had 1-2 hour waits, and about 5-10 minutes for Hulk when standby is 90+. Though a big part of this might be that many of the single rider lines in IoA seem hidden, where as the newer rides they are right next to the Standby and Express lines.

Well damn this place looks really nice. I am looking forward to the innovative rides they come up with.

If they get the transportation correct, this really could become a week resort experience.

The only real issue is nostalgia. That is the only reason I couldn't see Universal ever taking over Disney. You just get different " feels " at Disney. It still will be a really good park though.

Potter World and Super Mario World are the only two that make me feel really excited

No. This is a very specific universe that they had planned a whole series of movies around. It hasn't worked, which made me surprised that they'd plan a theme park land around it but it seems like they might have something here.
Yes, the Dark Universe movie plan went disastrously wrong for all kinds of reasons, but this idea for Epic looks like a brilliant way of taking Universal Horror back to it's roots - the gothic mansion looks incredible in the concept video, probably looking forward to this land than any other to be honest - though I think the HP ride will likely be the best, from what I've heard of it.

They need to tear down Fear Factor and remake JAWS!!
I still think that the Fear Factor area will still be used for a HP extension, there were rumours of a broomstick flight simulator but those plans haven't emerged, maybe that or something new - would love to see the Weasley's Burrow home brought to life somewhere.

They need to tear down Fear Factor and remake JAWS!!

As a former Jaws skipper, I can say, as much as I love this idea, it will never happen 😂 😭

Between the high labor costs and the fuel needed for the fire effects, plus the absolute nightmare it was to maintain underwater animatronics, Jaws was the highest-cost-to-operate attraction in the world.

As someone who visited WDW during the standby-only days (that is, in the years before Fastpass, and in the COVID era), I actually love the idea of Epic Universe being standby-only for its first year or so. I hope that's how it plays out.

Even though the lines are certain to be long, I think guest satisfaction will still be higher overall. There's a huge psychological difference between standing in a long line that is constantly moving (as with standby-only), and a shorter line that takes even longer, because other people are being let ahead of you (as in, Express Pass added): that difference is compounded when you're extra-excited because you're waiting for something BRAND NEW. There's a camaraderie that develops when everyone is waiting in the same line, and a sense of "let's just grin and bear it, because we're all in this together." As much as I love Express Pass when I have it, I think standby-only is the best way to introduce large groups of guests to all-new attractions -- on a level playing field.

It looks pretty nice but I’m not getting too excited. Doesn’t sound like there will be many attractions to start.

That makes sense and sounds right to me. New rides rarely have ExpressPass right when they open.

No. This is a very specific universe that they had planned a whole series of movies around. It hasn't worked, which made me surprised that they'd plan a theme park land around it but it seems like they might have something here.
I can see why Universal would want to give it a try as a theme park. Universal was known for horror movies, so it makes sense they would want to build a land around something that was their speciality.

Also, the monsters are very much classic characters that most people are somewhat familiar with, so it's technically IP, but barely.

This all assumes that the park will open with all their rides even open at the beginning. It's been a LONG time since a brand new park opened like this, so I would be shocked if all rides are ready at park opening.

Then again, this is the first real shot at making a dent in Disney, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were all ready

It looks pretty nice but I’m not getting too excited. Doesn’t sound like there will be many attractions to start.
It's really not too bad compared to other parks there. IoA currently has 16 (not counting play structures or Pteradon Flyers as have to be with a kid to ride) and Studios has 13 plus a couple shows. (could add half a point or so for Hogwarts Express to each park if wanted but again not available to absolutely everyone.
Epic is rumored to have 12 rides at opening plus multiple shows and likely many interactive experiences that are like attractions in away (like Japan's Nintendo World). So it will technically have fewer it's not by much and these all seem like they should be top notch rides and attractions. I could definitely see this being a close run for best park with IoA when it opens, and once they do expansions and it adds even more attractions I think it will easily take the top spot in Orlando.

The only real issue is nostalgia. That is the only reason I couldn't see Universal ever taking over Disney. You just get different " feels " at Disney.
For those of us who grew up on Disney movies and theme park experiences, that is true. What Disney should be VERY worried about is the generation growing up where Disney movies are no longer the must-do, everyone-sees-them events they used to be, and where Disney theme park vacations (due to rising prices, declining quality, or a combination of the two) are no longer an annual family tradition. Universal seems poised to become the Orlando vacation of choice for many people where today's kids are going to build their nostalgia, and where they'll want to take their own kids in coming decades.

Kinda funny talking about opening with "few" attractions when you compare it to what things like MGM (now Hollywood) Studios and Animal Kingdom opened with
It's even funnier when you think about how at opening, Epic is going to have more rides than what current day Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom have. Not combined but when looking at each park - HS has 9 and AK has 7.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter