Universal?

As a previous poster said, which rides you’re interested in doing will play a big part in whether or not express pass is worth it. If you are only going to go on the train ride and flight of the hippogriff it’s not worth it. If you think you want to give all the HP rides a try at least once then it’s definitely more useful. Is there anything else in the park you are hoping to see?

We have done the stay at SSR or OKW and US/IoA trip many times. It is not hard to do.

Do you get the express pass when doing so?

I can get one day park to park for all of us for $800 (no express pass) or I could get the tickets plus stay overnight at Hard Rock which includes the express pass for around $1200.

Or. Add 4 more days to our Disney trip as we are out of points and will need to rent.

Decisions to be made. Hmmmm.

I can get one day park to park for all of us for $800 (no express pass) or I could get the tickets plus stay overnight at Hard Rock which includes the express pass for around $1200.

Or. Add 4 more days to our Disney trip as we are out of points and will need to rent.

Don't tell Mickey, we have or get annual passes, only do what rides/shows we want that trip, and do not worry about FOTL access.

You have to make your own choice as to what works best for yourself and family. I have been gifted stays at US/IoA hotels, gladly accept them, and then use the FOTL access to really make a day at the parks.

More than a few DVCers have broken thru the bubble and discovered the other side of what Orlando has to offer. It’s a great way to keep things fresh.

We stay at a sea world area property for the complimentary quick queue they offer. their holiday Presentations are especially well done & generally complimentary. We especially enjoy visiting Universal via split-stay vacations. I enjoy their take on the Macy’s parade and the Grinch being featured.

The three Loews onsite properties that offer complementary FOTL access are true deluxe properties. We enjoy the slower pace able to set there but still find the majority of attractions exhilarating. This vs the more emotional attachment we experience in Disney parks. Being HP fans, it’s introduction was an added bonus to our time spent in the Universal parks.

I always suggest to first-timers that they add one night onsite at the end of their trip to allow two days of FOTL access. Otherwise, you may find yourself in a long line later that week at WDW, daydreaming of that amazing hotel perk!

and people complain about Disney being expensive?????

I’d go spend some time o. The Hniversal boards-that’s what we did before our combined trio last March. We did two nights at Hard Rock-got the AP rate which was very reasonable and the jump from a 3 day pass to a seasonal AP for one person is very minimal. Buy-2-get-3 day park hoppers. Free Express Pass. Then did 5 nights in a BW studio. The Hard Rock is beautiful and the location absolutely compares well to BW. The walk is prettier, although the room wasn’t as big as BW and no balcony. Pool lovely. My 13 year old definitely preferred US-we all enjoyed it a lot and the touring with Express pass is easier than WDW. I highly recommend it, and it’s definitely worth staying there.

We do 2 universal days each trip. One day devoted to each HP in both parks and the other we hop between both parks to do whatever else we want. I’d say one day is enough for just the HP stuff but not for both parks, unless you just hit a couple highlights. Even with 2 days there’s stuff we miss. We always stay DVC and drive ourselves to US, usually going to US two days in a row towards the end of our 2 weeks. Staying onsite, as others have said, would be nice for the express pass, but you have to stay at one of the more expensive hotels. We’ve never stayed there, but always talk about doing it one day. We like coming “home” to Disney at the end of our Universal days. And remember you have to get the park hopper to see both HP areas in the same day and to take Hogwarts Express.

You have all been super helpful. We landed on....

Fly in early Saturday, spend day exploring CityWalk and pool at either Portofino or Hard Rock Hotel (haven't finalized which one we will stay at yet)
Sunday- wake up early and spend day at Universal- 2 park 1 day pass. Uber/Lyft to Disney in evening
Spend one night in a moderate at Disney Sunday night
Monday- check in boardwalk for 8 nights. Disney it up.

and people complain about Disney being expensive?????
Prices seem to vary more at U than WDW for hotels.

Non-peak times, one of the Loews onsite FOTL properties, RPH, is often priced well under $250 a night. Have seen the values in $80 range, but no FOTL. When especially slow, Loews properties do appear on hotwire. Threads detailing strategies on U side of the boards.

One day tix discounts are difficult to find at both parks. If doing a multiday stay, upgrading to U’s cheapest seasonal AP can often more than pay for itself in hotel/dining/merchandise discounts.

Fly in early Saturday, spend day exploring CityWalk and pool at either Portofino or Hard Rock Hotel (haven't finalized which one we will stay at yet)
Sunday- wake up early and spend day at Universal- 2 park 1 day pass. Uber/Lyft to Disney in evening
Spend one night in a moderate at Disney Sunday night
Monday- check in boardwalk for 8 nights. Disney it up.
This sounds perfect to me. I like to start my trip at Universal so I can stay in my Disney bubble once I get there. I think 1 day is fine with the express pass! You will love the HP experience, they do a great job! the only thing to consider is that you won't have the magic express upon arrival. (not a big problem just something to remember) So determine which is the best option to get from MCO to Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter