Universal, wheelchairs, Wish trip?

MarieS

DIS Veteran
I posted on the Universal board and Sue gave me a link to the Rider's guide. But I wondered if anyone has taken their child to Universal as part of their Wish trip? I didn't realize that Universal's IOA has spiderman and my son is a big fan. We are going to try to get in the character meal for spidey and I believe the Seuss Caroseul (sp?) takes wheelchairs. Because my boys need to stay in their chairs and because of medical reasons, I think most of the rides are out. We have been so excited about going to WDW that I really didn't take a look at the possibility of going for a day to Universal or IOA until now. Any suggestions welcome--thanks!

I believe if you are staying at GKTW, they offer Universal passes and Seaworld passes? Some of the posters on this board that have stayed at GKTW for their MAW trip could probably tell you more in depth on that.

My dd was granted her MAW trip and we went last June. We opted into not staying at GKTW, but at a deluxe resort on property. I did ask my dd's wish granter if it was possible we can get passes to IOA instead of Universal. He said it was fine and we did do IOA one of our days. The day we went to IOA, we only stayed 2hrs. at the most because of our time restrictions( we had to board our plane to leave for home that afternoon). The only area of rides we went on was the Dr. Suess/ Suess Landing area. Unfortunately, I don't remember about kids in wheelchairs and rides there.My dd does not use a wheelchair at all. I'm guessing in the Suess Landing ride area, the CMs should accomodate your son well. The CMs at Universal and IOA seem to be familiar with MAW families.

Also, both Universal and IOA have their own GAC cards. You just pick it up at Guest Relations at either park.

You should also be aware that IOA is a separate entrance from Universal. There is a ton of walking just to get to the entrance to IOA because from the parking lot, there is a lot of walking, then you walk by some of the restaurants, then you walk by the entrance to Universal, then you have to cross over CityWalk ( more restaurants and stores), then at the end of all that is the entrance to IOA. We didn't realize how much walking was involved to get to IOA until we got there!

Hope this helps somewhat. Have a great MAW trip!

Roseprincess princess: :earsgirl:

We went to Universal and it was great. DS is in a wheelchair and there were no problems. Again, treated like kings and queens.

enjoy!

Roseprincess, what can you tell me about the GAC at Universal? How does it compare to WDW? The cm's at WDW treated DD7 so well, I am sort of afraid to go to Universal in case they aren't as understanding/accomodating.
Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Suzy V.

I assume your son either uses a manual wheelchair or can transfer to one.

A couple of years back I went to Universal (Studios not Islands of Adventure) in my power wheelchair.

Almost all of the rides there were wheelchair accessible, but not for powerchairs.

They asked me to transfer to a manual (which they had at the ride for that purpose), which I was unable to do. They gave me a full refund and I left.

Andrew

Excellent point, Andrew - and one I forget quite often since DS is in a manual chair.

riu girl,
The GAC ( called GAP, for Guest Assistance Pass at Universal) works the same at Universal/IOA as it does at WDW. We only went to Suess Landings at IOA. We showed the GAP card to a CM at each ride, they had us come in the exit area or moved us up a little in the regular line. The wait wasn't long at all.

Roseprincess princess: :earboy2:

Yes, my son has a manual chair. He cannot transfer out of it so I was looking for things he might be able to do and still stay in it. But if he can get to see spiderman, I think that will make a great day for him without any rides! I am just now starting to look at Universal or IOA since our Wish coordinator told me we might get tickets for there as well.
We are really looking forward to this trip and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the boys stay healthy enough to go!

Marie, the boys will love it. Especially meeting Spiderman! I think they will really love everything there. Will you email me when you have a chance please. Thanks bunches!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter