• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal VS Disney trip 2021

gambrellfamily

Earning My Ears
Last week we had the pleasure of spending a few days at Universal and a few days at Disney World. We are a married couple with older children (21 AND 22) and have been coming to Orlando parks for many years. We spent 2 nights at Universal's Dockside resort and 3 nights at Disney's Art of Animation

Bought a season pass from universal ( not offered from Disney) Early entry Perks at universal ( not Disney). So with my season pass got a discount on a room at Dockside resort that was yes much cheaper than Disney. The Universal resort was so top notch and so cautious yet still a resort you can relax and have fun.

Entry at both resorts universal did temp checks and gave out arm bands daily ( disney did not) The guest services at universal had 4 people compared to disney all mobile checkin. Pool time goes to Disney for the hours going strong till 11pm vs universal 10pm. Long days at the parks need pool time! The beds at universal were comfy and the room was huge slept 6 people while Disney presented the same cookie cutter 2 double beds and curtain bathroom. Both resorts present issues with distance to cafeterias and transportation.

Food at universal resort was so enjoyable! Never thought I would say that but the place was loaded with food options not just mobile where Disney seemed shut down with few workers no food or menus on display. I was stopped by a concerned disney employee wondering if I needed help? I stopped by for a coffee which I guess I should have ordered mobile. Your not allowed to fix your drinks at Disney Resort of by the way Starbucks was an option at universal resort. The park was another story we got the same terrible food universal always serves and no refills ( disney also does no refills) which at the price. Mobile ordering went a little easier at Disney but food at both quick serves were mediocre. We did enjoy mama melrose on our trip but very limited menus this time

Transportation to universal was by bus and it was pretty timely and the driver seated us pretty adequately. Now Disney skyline resort option was amazing it took 15 minutes to get to the park and no matter how long the line or exchange it was such a better option. Now the bus transportation at Disney was terrible and my thinking is skyline resorts seem to get less buses even to Magic Kingdom and AK. We waited 1.5 hours for a bus MK and I get it Covid limited seats but saw numerous buses when we got to MK leaving other resorts. Not sure the whole issue here but when you pay to park at a resort I shouldn't be forced to drive to resorts

As for the parks the virtual que is so limited but after numerous attempts we got a Star Wars and a Hagrids pass. Now the wait for Hagrids was 45 mins even after the question time as opposed to the Star Wars rise due which was a walk on. The waits overall were better at Disney but we found most of our issues at Hogwarts express where we waited 45 mins for a train. The average wait for most rides at both parks were 30 mins excluding Harry Potter area. Disney and universal did a good job policing mask and social distancing and as for the rides themselves neither stopped to sanitize rides but universal enforced hand sanitizer on every ride. Disney had tons of sanitizer but most were empty.

In conclusion, Universal had a lot of perks for the value spent even though their park food was terrible and they allow most food and drinks but limit bags on rides so lockers are such a hassle. I felt the stay at Dockside and way Universal handled COVID made more sense than Disney. We love Disney and the skyline was so awesome but the bus issue along with the mobile ordering was so bad I think we will continue to visit Universal and stay away from Disney until things change

Last edited:
Universal Studios Orlando is even more fun during the holidays. I am happy to hear you had a great trip. I am curious about the Dockside and have a reservation for a quick one night visit at end of month. I love Cabana Bay more than POP Century (which I love). I also love splurging at Hard Rock for my holiday visit / Universal’s Express Pass advantage. I still love BLT more than Hard Rock Both offer quick walk to theme park. I wish USO had a SkyLiner option since I love Riviera Resort.
I love the Starbucks in resorts at Universal Happy to hear it is at Dockside. Did you know Starbucks will give AP discount and in general, offers discounts frequently. I have had success getting AAA discount also .So don’t forget to ask .
You didn’t mention The Bourne Stunt Show Spectacular. You must remember next trip. TODAY CAFE nearby is incredibly fresh and so good food .
Visiting Universal Studios offers so much fun and lots of ways to enjoy a vacation without all the planning , etc. It is an option for visitors to explore & take time to get to know as much as we all have learned to love Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter