Universal & Volcano during Hurricane Irma, tips for making the best of it?

Does anyone know if they are honoring your previous hotel rate if you have to reschedule because of Irma? There is hotel availability for when I want to reschedule, but the room cost is almost $90 more/night. I am planning on calling myself, but want to hear other's experiences.

Also, right now our airline is reporting that MCO is hoping to have "limited operations" on Tuesday. In that case, what is the likelyhood that they'll be back to normal Wednesday? I hate the uncertainty and am debating rescheduling now just to have it all settled.

I rescheduled from the 14th to the 22 and the rate was like 40 more a night, but we r going to have to stay somewhere else for Thursday night since Royal Pacific didn't have rooms for thurs other then a king suite for 399...so we will just stay somewhere else and go to Royal Pacific on friday. we were not going to the parks in Thurs anyway so other then it sucks having to change hotels but at least we r saving a few bucks at the other hotel form the night.

Also, right now our airline is reporting that MCO is hoping to have "limited operations" on Tuesday. In that case, what is the likelyhood that they'll be back to normal Wednesday? I hate the uncertainty and am debating rescheduling now just to have it all settled.
I think they will need to see what damage is done by the storm before making that call.

I think they will need to see what damage is done by the storm before making that call.

And it seems impossible to predict right now. Sounds like maybe losing/getting back electricity is the biggest risk. I'm mostly afraid that if we wait, and find out Tuesday night that operations are not back to normal, at that point the flights and hotel rooms I am hoping to re-schedule to will be booked up at that point. I think I'm just going to do it, and eat the extra cost.

I'm supposed to be coming in on the 18th but am getting very nervous, especially with the new track that Hurricane Jose is taking, plus the potential of Lee/Maria out there. Really unsure what to do here.

While it's impossible to predict, my guess is that it's highly unlikely that MCO will be back to normal operations by Wednesday. Canceled flights throughout the state and as far away as Atlanta will come into play.

While it's impossible to predict, my guess is that it's highly unlikely that MCO will be back to normal operations by Wednesday. Canceled flights throughout the state and as far away as Atlanta will come into play.

I agree. I made the deposit for our back up dates at Portofino Bay today. Haven't switched the flights though, because getting refundable flights would have been an extra $225 (vs just using the hurricane policy to switch the current flights). Think I'll decide that first thing tomorrow morning.

Keeping everyone in Florida in my thoughts tonight, including several friends and family members riding out Irma alone :(.

Just for reference, both our airports in Houston had a "limited" schedule for 3 days before resuming full operations after Harvey finally stopped affecting our area. So they were shut down completely for almost 2 days and limited for 3.

Always get that when traveling to Florida during hurricane season. Every year at this time there is one out there and Florida almost always is involved.

Other than being stuck @ RPH during Matthew last year have never had an issue.

I understand hurricane season & perhaps with global warming = more storms, the big ones will be more frequent.

However, it's my understanding that majority of airlines/hotels have been accommodating as to hurricane policy & rescheduling when a storm is involved. Only a certain window of time, work schedules could easily throw a wrench in there.

Good luck to the posters who are trying to salvage their trips. I'd want to get my modifiedtrip jump-started quickly too.

I'd never cruise without TI, but even then, all policies are not equal as to coverage. Since deposits are refundable in this case, don't see the wisdom for us.

Would think though that those who have bought expiring tix media will be taking a substantial hit if they can't reschedule. I'd make sure to contact the park(s) and plead my case there as to an extension if you can't utilize them until after the stated expiry dates.

I'm supposed to be coming in on the 18th but am getting very nervous, especially with the new track that Hurricane Jose is taking, plus the potential of Lee/Maria out there. Really unsure what to do here.
It doesn't look like Jose will be a threat, but I had not heard about the other two??? We're coming in on the 21st!

Lee isn't a named storm yet, just a potential tropical depression NOAA is watching way out by the west African coast. Marie is the next name on the list and there is no storm to accompany that name yet.

No reason to be panicking over nothing.

Last edited:
Well we might actually make it to Orlando on Wednesday. Universal will be up and running tomorrow, and our airline (Frontier) says Tuesday flights are limited but our Wednesday morning trip is a go. I'll believe it when we take off, but I am getting more optimistic now that MCO is actually opening first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks. I was just saying there was a possibility of that depression becoming lee or maria but it washed away. All systems go!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter