universal Studios Hollywood opening April 16!

This is exciting to see. Wondering if they will offer a SoCal pass with this or multiple visit in 3month like they've done in the past.

With the drop on April 8, think Disney dropping their reservation/tickets before that date will be less now -- then again; they will have to fill up GC hotel too which isn't the issue for Universal Hollywood.

Super excited for this! Does anyone know what prices will look like? I'm hoping they do a season pass again, but if not, I'll happily throw all my money into a single day.

Sharing this here in case anyone missed this! Update to USH policy:

OOS can now purchase tickets online (special OOS tickets) and make reservations. No more having to hope there's availability at the ticket booth day of! Hopefully this will simplify things/lower any stress for those wanting to go that are OOS.

You do still have to be fully vaccinated (2 weeks post final dose) and that's currently only those 16+. You show your vaccination card and ID at the gate according to the FAQ.

Has anyone used an Express Pass ticket recently? If so, what are the waits like with Express Pass? Also, how does the Express Pass work with the Virtual Line for the Pets attraction (do I still need to join the Virtual Line)?

I've been to Universal Hollywood many times in the past, but have never used an Express Pass and I'm wondering what to expect. Does it make the rides walk-ons or should I still expect a wait? Thanks!

I’m also curious about that. I can’t seem to find any info on it.
Yeah, I’ve asked here and elsewhere and can’t get an answer. I even emailed Universal and haven’t heard back!

The only info I see over and over is that lines have been crazy long, which is why I bought an Express Pass. But it makes a big difference in planning whether it makes the rides walk-ons or if you still need to wait 30 minutes (even if that is better than a 180 minute regular line).

For Pets, I THINK that if you have Express Pass you can just walk into the Express line and not do the virtual queue, but again, I can’t say for sure.

Either way I’ll be going next weekend and I’ll report back for posterity!

Has anyone used an Express Pass ticket recently? If so, what are the waits like with Express Pass? Also, how does the Express Pass work with the Virtual Line for the Pets attraction (do I still need to join the Virtual Line)?

I've been to Universal Hollywood many times in the past, but have never used an Express Pass and I'm wondering what to expect. Does it make the rides walk-ons or should I still expect a wait? Thanks!
I’m also curious about that. I can’t seem to find any info on it.
Yeah, I’ve asked here and elsewhere and can’t get an answer. I even emailed Universal and haven’t heard back!

The only info I see over and over is that lines have been crazy long, which is why I bought an Express Pass. But it makes a big difference in planning whether it makes the rides walk-ons or if you still need to wait 30 minutes (even if that is better than a 180 minute regular line).

For Pets, I THINK that if you have Express Pass you can just walk into the Express line and not do the virtual queue, but again, I can’t say for sure.

Either way I’ll be going next weekend and I’ll report back for posterity!
I haven’t been during COVID, but I did go February 2020 on president’s day when it was packed , and used express pass. It helped a TON! I honestly won’t ever do universal without it now. You would pretty much go to the front of the line. The Simpson ride has a slight wait with it but that was because the loading process takes forever. I went with my aunt and as we were walking through she said “oh yeah this was worth $100”. We finished everything by about 2? Then did some of the shows and ate.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade to express pass when we get there? I bought the regular tickets thinking it wouldn't matter much because when I used to go more frequently, the lines weren't that long and when I used to work there, no one really bought the more expensive passes. But seeing the 110+ minute waits on the weekends, I'm thinking my kids are going to be miserable.

Yeah I'm sure you can, they have offered that to me at the gates before. You can always try anyway.

I was able to find some info about express pass by googling online ...
apparently they have a calendar to check pricing for specific arrival dates and probably should buy in advance since they are limited availabilty , especially day of arrival Inside theme park purchase!
Do you actually have to show your Covid vaccination card for entry?

Does anyone know if I can upgrade to express pass when we get there? I bought the regular tickets thinking it wouldn't matter much because when I used to go more frequently, the lines weren't that long and when I used to work there, no one really bought the more expensive passes. But seeing the 110+ minute waits on the weekends, I'm thinking my kids are going to be miserable.
My understanding from recent YouTube vids is that you can upgrade at the park... however, the express passes have been selling out so if you want to upgrade you should do it in the morning.

In case anyone is wondering...

Went to Universal today. Official opening was 9am but they opened the gates plenty early, I’d say around 8:20. There were a lot of people waiting but the lines moved fast once the gates were open.

Wait times did not seem crazy at all. Previous weekends there were some crazy wait times reported but I never saw anything like those 180 minute Jurassic World waits today. Forbidden Journey was 20 minutes much of the afternoon but when I got in the regular line for it around 7pm, that “20 minutes” was a walk on.

Thuy were selling express pass upgrades in the park in the morning if you are interested in upgrading your ticket.

I did have the express pass and every express pass line was walk on, except Simpsons, which was about a 15 minute wait for some reason (standby was 90 minutes at that point and was the longest wait in the park).

With express pass there is no need to enter the virtual line for Pets. You just walk on. Although I don’t think they were even doing the virtual line today.

The park is really clean and nice looking and felt heavily staffed. There were team members everywhere and they were all very friendly. Felt way more staffed than Disneyland to me.

I have to say I think Universal has done a better job at feeling “normal” than Disneyland. Mask enforcement was good. There were distancing markers, and stores had dedicated entrances and exits, but the park felt “normal”. Rides were operational, stores and dining locations were open. The Harry Potter area felt much more normal at Universal than Galaxy’s Edge felt at Disneyland. The entire park felt more normal than Disneyland.

Sure, Universal is not the same as Disneyland, but I felt like I was getting the full Universal for my money. As opposed to Disneyland, where I felt I was only getting a lesser percentage of the park.

By the way, Universal has shows - Animal Actors and the awesome Waterworld show. Not only is that nice to have, but it adds to the full park experience.

I have nothing but good things to say about Universal. They’ve done a great job reopening and providing their full experience for the money. And at least today, seem to have solved whatever was causing crazy wait times the last couple weekends.

Is there a good park strategy when starting the day. After visiting Disneyland, we're going to be in Glendale, CA for a week and that's just a 15 minute drive to Universal. Already got our park tickets for the first Monday in August, to avoid the weekend crowds. Since our hotel is a close drive, we plan to be there as the parks open. Any suggestions on what to visit first before the lines get longer later on that morning?

Thinking about knocking out the Simpson's ride and Harry Potter first thing in the morning. Will be in the virtual que for Secret Life of Pets and pending what time we get, we'll also try to knock out the Universal Studio Tour. Figure after that, the park will be filled up and we'll take a look at ride times and go from there. Is that a good plan or would anyone recommend a different park strategy as the park opens?

In case anyone is wondering...

Went to Universal today. Official opening was 9am but they opened the gates plenty early, I’d say around 8:20. There were a lot of people waiting but the lines moved fast once the gates were open.

Wait times did not seem crazy at all. Previous weekends there were some crazy wait times reported but I never saw anything like those 180 minute Jurassic World waits today. Forbidden Journey was 20 minutes much of the afternoon but when I got in the regular line for it around 7pm, that “20 minutes” was a walk on.

Thuy were selling express pass upgrades in the park in the morning if you are interested in upgrading your ticket.

I did have the express pass and every express pass line was walk on, except Simpsons, which was about a 15 minute wait for some reason (standby was 90 minutes at that point and was the longest wait in the park).

With express pass there is no need to enter the virtual line for Pets. You just walk on. Although I don’t think they were even doing the virtual line today.

The park is really clean and nice looking and felt heavily staffed. There were team members everywhere and they were all very friendly. Felt way more staffed than Disneyland to me.

I have to say I think Universal has done a better job at feeling “normal” than Disneyland. Mask enforcement was good. There were distancing markers, and stores had dedicated entrances and exits, but the park felt “normal”. Rides were operational, stores and dining locations were open. The Harry Potter area felt much more normal at Universal than Galaxy’s Edge felt at Disneyland. The entire park felt more normal than Disneyland.

Sure, Universal is not the same as Disneyland, but I felt like I was getting the full Universal for my money. As opposed to Disneyland, where I felt I was only getting a lesser percentage of the park.

By the way, Universal has shows - Animal Actors and the awesome Waterworld show. Not only is that nice to have, but it adds to the full park experience.

I have nothing but good things to say about Universal. They’ve done a great job reopening and providing their full experience for the money. And at least today, seem to have solved whatever was causing crazy wait times the last couple weekends.

Thanks for the update. We are going on a Thursday at the end of June. Trying to decide about Express Pass. I’m worried about the combo of summer crowds and lifting of capacity restrictions. Not likely to get back to CA anytime soon so I’m tempted to just drop the $$ but it is quite the chunk of change. Any thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter