Universal rides vs Disney rides

The wetness level of Dudley Do Right is as if you were to take a bath with your clothes on. You might as well bring your shampoo and conditioner onto the ride

Oh wow. So this ride should be at Volcano Bay, eh? Lol

I do not go to Universal as I am a loyal WDW person. I can only say that Guardians of the Galaxy is a great coaster. I also find that Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster, Everest and the Mountains in MK satisfy my thrill seeker urges. Plus you get the added bonus of the Disney characters. IMHO that beats a dorky wizard every time.

Mickey or Mario? Is this even a question that should be asked? I mean for real.
Well, since this is the Universal section of the Disboards, you will have more posters having questions for the UO parks and have more chatter about Mario than Mickey.

What is great with the Disboards, everyone can can find a forum to participate in.

The UO side of the Disboards covers Universal Orlando, Seaworld, Discovery Cove, City Walk

Disboards has something about Florida for everyone.

Agree with the above - JP will get you dampened to fairly wet on the top half, also maybe the bum if the seat is wet.

Dudley Do-right flume & Popeyes barges will have you wringing out the undergarments. They are super fun, but designed for drenching. Popeyes you get soaked 80% of the time, Dudley pretty much 100% - the flume channels the water back up and over the edges of the log onto your lap. There are lockers for your bags at these, but they are pay lockers (since you can bring things on with you, if you don't mind soaked belongings). For other rides that you can't have loose articles, the lockers are free. That said, you can also stash your stuff in the nearest free ride lockers (FJ or Hulk), but just make sure that the wait for the free locker ride is long enough - they give you the posted standby time free plus a grace period - I think it's 20min grace period. Or you can bring plastic bags and bring stuff along (ziplocs are great for the phone). Either way, prepare for a great fun drenching!

Velocicoaster is an extremely smooth ride. One of the best in terms of comfort that I’ve been on. First time on hulk as in the front seat and was fine, second time was last row and I was exposed to too much gamma radiation.

On any coaster, the further back you sit, the faster and rougher the ride will be. The front also lets you see what’s coming so you aren’t surprised by a sudden turn or drop.

I’m also a fan of trying a ride at least once. If you don’t like it, you never have to do it again. But you might be surprised and like something. I would also try to get out of the mindset that you “can’t” do something. Relax and enjoy. If you tense up, anything you do becomes unenjoyable.

My daughter hates drops and loves the spinning rides-the upside down versions. Our family rule is you don't know if you like it or not until you try it, so ride everything once and if you hate it, then you never ride it again. If you get sick try a sea band- mention sickness medicine.

And if you can believe it, Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges is actually WORSE than Dudley in terms of how wet you get LOL

With Jurassic Park, I find that it depends on where you're sitting in the boat. In the front you can get pretty wet but if you're in the back it's not too bad.
Agree with the above - JP will get you dampened to fairly wet on the top half, also maybe the bum if the seat is wet.

Dudley Do-right flume & Popeyes barges will have you wringing out the undergarments. They are super fun, but designed for drenching. Popeyes you get soaked 80% of the time, Dudley pretty much 100% - the flume channels the water back up and over the edges of the log onto your lap. There are lockers for your bags at these, but they are pay lockers (since you can bring things on with you, if you don't mind soaked belongings). For other rides that you can't have loose articles, the lockers are free. That said, you can also stash your stuff in the nearest free ride lockers (FJ or Hulk), but just make sure that the wait for the free locker ride is long enough - they give you the posted standby time free plus a grace period - I think it's 20min grace period. Or you can bring plastic bags and bring stuff along (ziplocs are great for the phone). Either way, prepare for a great fun drenching!

So, me and my husband looked up Youtube and we were speechless! lol.

Do you know if we wear a poncho, will we stay dry at all?

Thankfully the first day of Universal is relatively cold, so we won't be going to any of the rides. We will see if our daughter wants to go or not. I don't like being wet (not even a couple drops) and our daughter also quite dislikes water being splashed on her - unless she's in her swimsuit. Maybe we will send hubby and watch him get soaked - that's what we did at Seaworld. ;)

Thank you so much!

Velocicoaster is an extremely smooth ride. One of the best in terms of comfort that I’ve been on. First time on hulk as in the front seat and was fine, second time was last row and I was exposed to too much gamma radiation.

On any coaster, the further back you sit, the faster and rougher the ride will be. The front also lets you see what’s coming so you aren’t surprised by a sudden turn or drop.

I’m also a fan of trying a ride at least once. If you don’t like it, you never have to do it again. But you might be surprised and like something. I would also try to get out of the mindset that you “can’t” do something. Relax and enjoy. If you tense up, anything you do becomes unenjoyable.

My daughter hates drops and loves the spinning rides-the upside down versions. Our family rule is you don't know if you like it or not until you try it, so ride everything once and if you hate it, then you never ride it again. If you get sick try a sea band- mention sickness medicine.

Thank you. I most likely will try Velocicoaster. I think I can handle 1 drop / day. :)
AND I will be taking my sea bands & medicine as well.

TBH, I am not sure about Hulk though and definitely will not be riding Rip Ride Rockpit and the drop tower.
I know my limit with respect to the 'drop', as I do actually get scared as if my heart will stop. LOL.
I was 19 and rode Viking because my ex-boyfriend forced me to (he got mad at me for not trying) and exited with my voice half gone from screaming of fear and like sobbing. He and his friends apologized so much because they didn't think I'd be that scared, given I was ok with most of the roller coasters. one friend even commented that he got so worried as I screamed, because he could tell the scream wasn't 'fun scream', but actual 'terrified scream'.
So when I tried Tower of Terror, it took me a lot of courage. I did not try it the first time we went, then we tried the 2nd time. Ever since, I did not try it - just waiting for that one last time that we go as a family. :)

I also try to stay away from too much spinning, as I have a very bad case of vertigo, once it is triggered, I throw up day and night for like 5 - 10 days. But this one I can handle slightly better - I close my eyes and start chanting "please stop, please stop", while my daughter goes crazy spinning and screaming with joy right beside me. :)

BTW, I must admit that life is such an irony that my husband used to skydive as a hobby and loves roller coasters. When we go to our local theme park, we usually split up and he hits all the big rides and meet us up for lunch. haha.

Oh wow. So this ride should be at Volcano Bay, eh? Lol
I've always wanted to see a waterpark put in big water rides like these. I love them but hate walking around drenched after.
Popeye's you will definitely get drenched on. Dudley Do Rights, if you wear a poncho you'll will remain relatively dry on the top half but your pants will likely be wet. If you can lift your feet at the right time you might be able to avoid getting feet too wet. As another mentioned, the water on some of the little drops will slosh back into the leg and get your pants wet, the drop itself sprays you, the worst for it is if people are manning the cannons. I have gotten to the end of the ride relatively dry then just gotten blasted by them and utterly drenched.

Poncho might work to some extent - make sure to sit on it and really tuck it around and over your bum, covering your whole lap so any water goes all the way down past your knees. The shape of the Dudley flume causes the waves to literally bounce off the flume walls, then back towards you and over the edge of the "log" to drench your lap. Popeye is more your typical raft ride, but on "wetness steroids" - more waterfalls, more water splashing at you, etc. It may or may not come up over the raft onto you (from behind/the side), depends on where you're seated. You'd want the poncho on this one to go over your head, and additionally under your bum & snug against your legs so water doesn't sneak in from the sides. Wear waterproof sandals, there's no getting around the wet feet.

If you really don't want to be splashed, don't bother with those 2. I like the option of bringing a bag of dry clothes to change into immediately afterwards. Popeye is so fun, and more so if you go a few times and can watch the unsuspecting / blissfully hopeful folks try to avoid the water. After they get a bit drenched, they kinda give up & just enjoy it. It's a nice fun way of rooting for others to lose in waterfall roulette.

... my DD started reading HP and fell in love. She really likes it, so we said we will go to Universal Studios for her birthday.
A couple of observations: Yes, the Harry Potter areas house some amazing rides, and they're some of the best rides in the park. But don't miss the fact that these areas themselves are attractions. Before adding the HP areas, Universal really had little of the kind of theming that sets Disney parks apart from other theme parks ("Imagineering"). But IMO the HP areas pulled off a feat of immersive theming and attention to detail greater even than anything Disney had done previously. They're more comparable to Galaxy's Edge: for a Star Wars fan, that makes a world that they've dreamed of come alive, and every little detail contributes to the world-building. Similarly, in the Harry Potter areas, there are plenty of tiny details to appreciate, and a fan would want not just to race to the rides but to set aside time simply to look and explore.

They can get very busy, and Diagon Alley is very compact, so it gets crowded. It can be nice to go straight to these Harry Potter areas on park opening, or visit them near park closing, to be able to see them with fewer people.

One of the most "magical" experiences is being chosen for the "wand chooses the wizard" ceremony. The first HP book describes Harry buying a wand, trying a few that don't work for him, before finally the wand-master finds just the right one. This is replicated as a small show in the wand shops in USO, with an actor as the wand-master, and one guest being chosen to try the wands. You can enjoy watching, but if your daughter wants to be picked, there are a few things that can help; we tried and got picked!

First of all, the wait for this show can get long. There is more room in the Diagon Alley wand shop than in Hogsmeade, and you might want to "rope drop" this experience, or at least do it earlier in the day.

Second, the wand-master often picks children, and it helps to show that you're a really enthusiastic fan by dressing the part. The Hogwarts robes sold in the park are about $140 (and the wand is expensive enough, around $70), so we bought robes on Amazon for more like $40, with a white shirt and Gryffindor-colors tie. It's a fun way to enter into the theming anway.

The wand can be used in many places throughout the HP areas, in which you wave the wand in a certain pattern and you can cause something to happen, like a fountain to shoot water or a window display to move. These spots also develop lines as the day goes on, so they can be good to do early.

A couple of observations: Yes, the Harry Potter areas house some amazing rides, and they're some of the best rides in the park. But don't miss the fact that these areas themselves are attractions. Before adding the HP areas, Universal really had little of the kind of theming that sets Disney parks apart from other theme parks ("Imagineering"). But IMO the HP areas pulled off a feat of immersive theming and attention to detail greater even than anything Disney had done previously. They're more comparable to Galaxy's Edge: for a Star Wars fan, that makes a world that they've dreamed of come alive, and every little detail contributes to the world-building. Similarly, in the Harry Potter areas, there are plenty of tiny details to appreciate, and a fan would want not just to race to the rides but to set aside time simply to look and explore.

They can get very busy, and Diagon Alley is very compact, so it gets crowded. It can be nice to go straight to these Harry Potter areas on park opening, or visit them near park closing, to be able to see them with fewer people.

One of the most "magical" experiences is being chosen for the "wand chooses the wizard" ceremony. The first HP book describes Harry buying a wand, trying a few that don't work for him, before finally the wand-master finds just the right one. This is replicated as a small show in the wand shops in USO, with an actor as the wand-master, and one guest being chosen to try the wands. You can enjoy watching, but if your daughter wants to be picked, there are a few things that can help; we tried and got picked!

First of all, the wait for this show can get long. There is more room in the Diagon Alley wand shop than in Hogsmeade, and you might want to "rope drop" this experience, or at least do it earlier in the day.

Second, the wand-master often picks children, and it helps to show that you're a really enthusiastic fan by dressing the part. The Hogwarts robes sold in the park are about $140 (and the wand is expensive enough, around $70), so we bought robes on Amazon for more like $40, with a white shirt and Gryffindor-colors tie. It's a fun way to enter into the theming anway.

The wand can be used in many places throughout the HP areas, in which you wave the wand in a certain pattern and you can cause something to happen, like a fountain to shoot water or a window display to move. These spots also develop lines as the day goes on, so they can be good to do early.
Thank you!
I am debating to get the robes from USO or Amazon.
Is the quality from Amazon comparable?

I see a big difference in Disney Princess Dresses, so we always get the dress from the Disney store, but never had purchased the robe.
We're leaving on Friday, and if we order today, we will get the robe by Friday!

Thank you. I most likely will try Velocicoaster. I think I can handle 1 drop / day. :)

TBH, I am not sure about Hulk though and definitely will not be riding Rip Ride Rockpit and the drop tower.
I know my limit with respect to the 'drop', as I do actually get scared as if my heart will stop. LOL.
I was 19 and rode Viking because my ex-boyfriend forced me to (he got mad at me for not trying) and exited with my voice half gone from screaming of fear and like sobbing. He and his friends apologized so much because they didn't think I'd be that scared, given I was ok with most of the roller coasters. one friend even commented that he got so worried as I screamed, because he could tell the scream wasn't 'fun scream', but actual 'terrified scream'.
So when I tried Tower of Terror, it took me a lot of courage. I did not try it the first time we went, then we tried the 2nd time. Ever since, I did not try it - just waiting for that one last time that we go as a family. :)

I also try to stay away from too much spinning, as I have a very bad case of vertigo, once it is triggered, I throw up day and night for like 5 - 10 days. But this one I can handle slightly better - I close my eyes and start chanting "please stop, please stop", while my daughter goes crazy spinning and screaming with joy right beside me. :)

BTW, I must admit that life is such an irony that my husband used to skydive as a hobby and loves roller coasters. When we go to our local theme park, we usually split up and he hits all the big rides and meet us up for lunch. haha.
What is viking? Which park is it in? Also it you do hulk, go in the front sest, it will be a smoother ride. Also something that mat help, pretend you are iron man flying around with the hulk battling thanos. Put your arms out like your flying.

We love the Harry Potter areas, but I disagree that Universal did not have much theming before that. Our first family trip to IOA in 2002 we were impressed with all 5 areas, especially Seuss area and Lost Continent.

Thank you!
I am debating to get the robes from USO or Amazon.
Is the quality from Amazon comparable?

I see a big difference in Disney Princess Dresses, so we always get the dress from the Disney store, but never had purchased the robe.
We're leaving on Friday, and if we order today, we will get the robe by Friday!
The Amazon robe was definitely good quality, though one note: I think the official robes have an inner "wand pocket," and the pocket inside the Amazon robe was not deep enough to hold the wand. That was about the only downside.

It did lose a button, and I went back through the Gringotts queue and eventually found it!

Hope you have a great time. I'm very much like you, hate the drop rides. I do not ride Tower of Terror any more. Just cannot. I used to enjoy Dr Doom, but I don't do that one either. Took me 2 trips to get up the courage for Velocicoaster, but I'm so glad I rode it. I love it! I don't even notice the drop, you're moving way too fast for that, haha. Took about 20 years to get me on the Hulk tho, but I'm glad I tried it, but VC is way better. I'll stick with it. I also don't do the spinning rides like teacups, unless I am in control, and we don't add to the spinning. Only ride I"ve not done at Disney is Mission Space orange and don't plan to. There's a bit of 'lean' in Gringotts, but it's so fun.
Hope y'all have a fabulous trip!

We love the Harry Potter areas, but I disagree that Universal did not have much theming before that. Our first family trip to IOA in 2002 we were impressed with all 5 areas, especially Seuss area and Lost Continent.
Yeah, we have 4 day park tickets + Volcano bay, so hopefully we will be quite thorough with all of them.
We all LOVE dinosaours and Dr.Seuss area seems to be quite exciting too.
So we're looking forward to it!

The Amazon robe was definitely good quality, though one note: I think the official robes have an inner "wand pocket," and the pocket inside the Amazon robe was not deep enough to hold the wand. That was about the only downside.

It did lose a button, and I went back through the Gringotts queue and eventually found it!
Thank you!
We couldn't find the good quality one (maybe because we're in Canada?) - as they said it was all single layered and inner pockets are not very deep, etc etc, so we didn't purchase one. And they dont have the adult sized ones, so we will purchase one from the shop. :)

We'll be focusing on the rides on our first day and then will be doing more wand thing the 2nd day and on.
Can you tell me a bit more about the wand-master picking children? I think that will be a definitely a cool experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter