Universal Planning - Where to start?

CWIPPERMAN

<font color=FF99FF>You don't have to be clever and
I can't believe I'm doing this - because I'm still 23 days away from this years Disney vacation... but here goes.

We are already looking ahead to next year. By then, we will have done Disney twice - and would like to throw a little trip to Universal in the mix.

First - we will plan a Disney trip either before or after the Universal trip. We will stay on Disney property for the Disney portion - but will be off Disney property for the Universal stuff.

Second - we will probably have a vehicle - but would prefer to stay "on site" at Universal (if possible - I'll ask more in depth questions in a minute) and not have to worry about driving.

So.... here goes...

We will more than likely be a group of 4 late 20's to early 30's folks. We will want 2 rooms. We will want something similar to the "Ultimate Park Hopper" tickets at Disney (unlimited access to the parks during length of stay).

Does Universal offer "packages" like Disney does? This year we are doing the Fairytale Package - and last year we did the "Fall Fantasy Package". If so, where would I find info on a package like this and it's cost.

I am thinking 3 days to do both parks. Is this enough time? We would probably go during the "slow" season (about mid-September) if that makes a difference.

Is it going to be worth it to plan on staying on-site. Would we save a load of $$$$ by staying off-site? To me the Disney transportation and other "perks" of staying on-site at WDW make it worth it. Is it the same for Universal? I know if you stay on-site you are supposed to get "walk-on" privledges on some rides. Aside from location and "walk-on" is there anything else that makes it worth while?

If folks think it is better to stay off-site and just buy the tickets - what is the best way to get tickets? Is it worth it to wait for last-minute deals... or should we plan early.

This and any other important information would be appreciated. I would also like any links to useful Universal Websites (Something like "Deb's Guide" for Universal would be cool).

Thank You.

The MASSIVE perk for staying on site at Universal is front of the line access (FOTL). Universal operatesa system similar to Disney's fast pass system, non Universal guests can get "fastpasses" in a similar way to Disney's but if your a Universal guest your room key acts as your "fastpass" and you aren't limited to one ride at a time nor do you get a set time to use it in. It's like having an unlimited fastpass in your hand :D.
There is also transportation from the hotels. I stayed at PBH and they operate a launch/ferry to Citywalk but to be honest it was just as quick to walk and a quite pleasant walk as well. I think they are ( or were) running a 5 days for the price of 2 http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/tickets_and_vacations.html
another offer was a two year ticket for $169 ( but you need a voucher from BurgerKing here's the link https://tickets.universalstudios.com/USRG/us_store_secure2.jsp?merchant=UOBUYAYEAR )
They are also offering a 4th night free http://www.universalstudiosvacations.com/hotdeals/4thnight.asp

It is possible to get a cheaper deal by staying off site, there are loads of deals on http://www.hotwire.com and similar sites, but IMHO it's worth the extra to have that access to the big rides, it allows you the luxury of being able to get through almost all the rides in a ridiculously short time and gives you the option of going back to enjoy the great pool facilities at the hotel in the early afternoon before going back to the parks or Citywalk for an evening filled with fun and action. IMHO for a stay of 5 nights or more I would probably stay off site to save the money, but for a short trip the extra cost of the room frees up a lot of time to get other stuff done and when taken as a percentage of the overall cost ( including travel costs) is not a massive factor.

The best deals for Universal hotels are often found in the "entertainment" book. As you only need the book when you check in you can check on availability ( and reserve) the room before you buy the book :) .

Make sure to check these boards often and post. We will all be happy to answer your questions. Have a great trip!!!!

You are like me. One trip isn't even started yet, and I would also be planning the next one!!!

It's addictive!!!

We start planning next years trip while we are still on our trip. We start talking about what we want to do different next year, where we want to stay, etc. So it is never to soon to start planning:p :cool: :p :cool:

My advice:

Stay ONSITE at Universal! Do Disney FIRST because the FOTL perk at Universal will spoil you!

We always split our stays. We love both resorts.

Yes, Universal does have packages but it's much cheaper to do it separately. Book the resort directly through Universal with, hopefully an Entertainment discount...I'm paying $129 for a pool view at the Hard Rock. Then you can either buy your park tickets ahead of time over the Internet or through AAA or you can buy them at the front desk and have them put on your room key.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter