Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

I got mine approved through email a couple of months ago without a phone call. I assumed (correctly) it was for the standard AAP. The approval email was sent by a specific team member (a form approval letter, but sent by an individual person, not general guest services), so I could have easily replied back to that specific person if I had any concerns or thought the standard aap would not have worked for me.

Also, I don't think I was "auto-approved" even though I didn't have the phone conversation. My process went like this:
- Got card approved through 3rd party (sorry can never remember the acronym/letters!)
- Week later got a standardized email from both universal guest services asking for availability and travel plans so they could schedule a phone call
- I replied to both, but also gave a couple of details (albeit still vague) about a concern I had in USH last summer, and indicated unexpected phone calls at unknown times are difficult for me so requested a heads up before the phone call
- Several weeks of waiting, no phone call and not hearing anything back
- Got personalized email with case number/approval. The email was sent as a reply from the USH email where I had had more details about my situation. So it seemed more like an accommodation to do it through email rather than an automatic approval.
I'm so glad they were able to work that out for you! And good to know that the email came from an actual person you could contact if you needed more assistance.

I'm wondering what's going on now with the people who need an accommodation greater than the AAP. My dad got into the new program early, when they were doing phone calls for all, and he was able to have the higher-level accommodation that was already in their old system transferred to the new system. An auto approval for the AAP would have done him no good. So I hope there's still a way for people who need something more to speak to the disability team and get that approval.
I would assume you’re still free to reach out if you require additional / different accommodations. As Keladry84 suggested, guests requiring different accommodations or that just have additional concerns they need to discuss could respond to the email and/or arrange a phone call to discuss further. My guess is that they’re trying to minimize the calls required since they were backed up for awhile and since the majority of guests use the AAP it’s probably cutting down on the calls they need to make to assign accommodations. This is what I’m guessing their mindset is at least, which I can understand from a business perspective.

I totally understand the concern though as I was also granted a higher accommodation via phone call early in the process when my partner called to set it up on my behalf (I got mine back in July) and since I’m aware the regular AAP failed to help me on busier days when I did use that in the past, I’m grateful they offered something else.

My only concern with the email approvals would be for guests that aren’t aware there’s something else that exists other than AAP when they may need it. The phone calls gave you more of a chance to discuss your needs in detail. I didn’t know there were different accommodations in Hollywood until I was assigned one and I’m sure that’s the case for lots of people.

This is heresay from the lawsuit that was filed in California. Also not sure how they "tore up his card" when you can just show it in the App. Very suspect. Knowing the type of guests at Six Flags I feel more like this guy was being a real tool to employees (I go to my home park in Gurnee all the time and use their pass, never had a problem).
Why is the fact that the card was torn up suspect? I printed out my daughter's IBCCES card and brought a paper copy so I wouldn't have to deal with my phone. I highly doubt I'm the only one that does that.

I submitted a one page letter from my son's doctor (he is an adult), I had other documentation but wasn't sure how to submit it. I got the temporary approval from IBCCES, and an email from Universal promising to contact me closer to our trip dates. I expected a phone call, but it was another email approving him and it is on the app. We arrive on Tuesday, so it will be interesting to see how it works, first time for us under this new procedure. So fairly painless, other than his doctor having us wait for his annual physical visit to discuss it (worked out fine as that was in December and trip is February).

And as I said IF they had a physical card they tore it up, allegedly is true there, but I believe it given how bad their employees are. Hopefully with the Cedar Fair merger that changes.

My home park is a Cedar Fair park and I’ve seen comments online by multiple people claiming their disability passes were torn up by employees this past summer because they didn’t look disabled enough. Cedar Fair is horrible with disability accommodations. Like dozens upon dozens of ADA violations and a couple extremely serious ride safety violations. Enough for a lawsuit much bigger than the Six Flags guy. Don’t expect anything to get better after the merger. There’s also a culture of openly laughing at and mocking disabled guests by ride operators at my home park. Disney and Universal are a trek for me but at least I know that behavior isn’t tolerated.

My home park is a Cedar Fair park and I’ve seen comments online by multiple people claiming their disability passes were torn up by employees this past summer because they didn’t look disabled enough. Cedar Fair is horrible with disability accommodations. Like dozens upon dozens of ADA violations and a couple extremely serious ride safety violations. Enough for a lawsuit much bigger than the Six Flags guy. Don’t expect anything to get better after the merger. There’s also a culture of openly laughing at and mocking disabled guests by ride operators at my home park. Disney and Universal are a trek for me but at least I know that behavior isn’t tolerated.
Actually my home park is Knott's (a cedar fair park) and my only complaint is that you have to go in every day to get the pass and it results in long lines at guest services. Honestly, everyone is very kind and polite and they take safety quite seriously. Same goes for California's Great America, I cannot attest to any other of their parks as I haven't been to them.

I’ve been trying to read through but there is a lot to go through and this is our first time going to Universal. I applied for IBCCES and got temporary approval for my son last week. I had to resubmit a different photo yesterday, so still waiting on the final approval. We are going to Universal Hollywood on March 20th. After we get the final approval, is there anything need to do at that time to trigger the phone call from USH? And from reading through, are we still going to need to stop at Guest Services when we get there? We are on the fence about buying early access tickets to Super Mario World, but I won’t bother if we will be spending that time in line at guest services. I will also be in an electric wheelchair. I am not getting an IBCCES since my son qualifies, but I’ve heard that it’s more difficult to get from the top to the bottom lot when in a mobility device. Anyone have any experience to share?

I’ve been trying to read through but there is a lot to go through and this is our first time going to Universal. I applied for IBCCES and got temporary approval for my son last week. I had to resubmit a different photo yesterday, so still waiting on the final approval. We are going to Universal Hollywood on March 20th. After we get the final approval, is there anything need to do at that time to trigger the phone call from USH? And from reading through, are we still going to need to stop at Guest Services when we get there? We are on the fence about buying early access tickets to Super Mario World, but I won’t bother if we will be spending that time in line at guest services. I will also be in an electric wheelchair. I am not getting an IBCCES since my son qualifies, but I’ve heard that it’s more difficult to get from the top to the bottom lot when in a mobility device. Anyone have any experience to share?

I can't help with the IBCCES stuff, but did go to Universal Hollywood in May of last year with my Mom using a wheelchair. At the top of the escalator areas, you will veer off to the right and go down an elevator. There will be a small line and then they have a bus that drives you down the hill. It is far quicker to go down the escalators so if you want to send some family that way, go for it. The bus only allowed 1 person with the wheelchair first thing in the morning (although it might be different if it is 2 parents and a couple kids (we were 5 adults with 2 kids). Later in the day, we all rode the bus back up, so kind of depends on time of day and how many people are waiting for the bus.

Just an update on where timing is for this process now:

1) Sent documents to IBCCES on April 7.
2) Documents approved & IAC card set to 'Current' status on April 8.
3) Call from Universal on April 16. AAP issued.

Our trip is scheduled for May 18, for context. Seems it has sped up a lot since this program first launched.
Enjoy your trip!! I'm glad they got you approved and your accommodations set up so fluently!

Just an update on where timing is for this process now:

1) Sent documents to IBCCES on April 7.
2) Documents approved & IAC card set to 'Current' status on April 8.
3) Call from Universal on April 16. AAP issued.

Our trip is scheduled for May 18, for context. Seems it has sped up a lot since this program first launched.
Was it a 407 number? I’m waiting on a call but I don’t want to answer spam calls. 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter