Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

Does anyone know if you can go to GS with the approval if they don't call in time? I'm getting a little nervous because our trip is in about three weeks and I keep reading about 2+ week delays. My son was approved on the 19th and I haven't heard anything from Universal yet.

That post was taken down. Sorry you didn't see it. And how does the poster expect people to "just say what your comfortable with" when your medical issues are your medical issues. There is no "picking" which one is less uncomfortable for you. I know some of you are trying to help but you clearly are not understanding what some of us are saying. People should not have to go through all of these hoops, added expense, and give their information to random websites in order to get accommodations.
How should accommodations be provided then? What process would be acceptable but also not allow just anyone to take advantage of it and ultimately make it harder for people to use the accommodations when needed?

People should not have to go through all of these hoops, added expense, and give their information to random websites in order to get accommodations.
IMO, when accommodations are such that they have the potential for large-scale negative impacts to business operations, then people should have to prove they need those accommodations.

Is this the best way to do it? I don’t know. But I’d be interested to see what you recommend, other than the current free for all.

How should accommodations be provided then? What process would be acceptable but also not allow just anyone to take advantage of it and ultimately make it harder for people to use the accommodations when needed?
IMO, it would be better for the theme parks to directly deal with you, even if they do ask for a note from the doctor. Using this third party company is an added step and yet more people to have your information that don't need it. It is this random third party, that is primarily an Autism resource site, that is the problem for me. No one is able to answer how this company is even qualified to do this. Not even on their own website.

Does anyone know if you can go to GS with the approval if they don't call in time? I'm getting a little nervous because our trip is in about three weeks and I keep reading about 2+ week delays. My son was approved on the 19th and I haven't heard anything from Universal yet.
I would call to make sure, but I think they probably will accommodate you if you have the IBCCES card. They said I could get a one-time, one-day pass if I came to the parks before my visit. You could also try emailing or messaging them on social media and explaining when your trip is and they might be able to bump you up the list.

I've been approved for over a week and still no phone call. :(

IMO, it would be better for the theme parks to directly deal with you, even if they do ask for a note from the doctor. Using this third party company is an added step and yet more people to have your information that don't need it. It is this random third party, that is primarily an Autism resource site, that is the problem for me. No one is able to answer how this company is even qualified to do this. Not even on their own website.
You think theme park personnel are more qualified? OK.

As for how many people see the medical info, it would be the same, since IBCCES doesn’t pass that to the theme park.

However it eventually pans out, proof of a true need for accommodations needs to be part of the equation, IMO, including at Disney.

IBCCES is really just approving that one submitted documentation, not so much reviewing the contents of that documentation for merit. It doesn't take a medical degree to determine:
1. documentation is from an acceptable source (medical provider, government entity or school IEP or 504)​
2. documentation includes:​
a. medical diagnosis and/or​
b. explanation of the needs and accommodations​

It really sounds like #2 is fairly loosely determined; I think they are primarily approving #1.

The theme park employees are still the ones who will approve/deny accommodations, and they do so without access to anything you submitted.

I'm not defending or recommending the business. But it is a legitimate company that has been doing this for several years for many theme parks. Anyone who thinks a doctor should be reviewing your info isn't going to find that anywhere at any business -- I don't believe the DMV contracts physicians to review HA tag applications, either.

Everyone is free to make their own decision as to whether they are comfortable enough to go through this process.

I wish there was some kind of centralized agency (I mean yeah I know not another government Agency!) that would determine once and for all (like they do in some of Europe) what conditions are eligible for accommodations for people that are applying because of the inability to use a traditional line. You would submit your information/doctor‘s report to the agency to get an approval letter/card that you would then provide to any theme park to get a pass. It would take all the guesswork out of it- condition A will get approval, condition B will not, etc. I know the issue is need based vs condition based but at the end of the day that will never be something that can be proven so therefore is almost useless.

You think theme park personnel are more qualified? OK.

As for how many people see the medical info, it would be the same, since IBCCES doesn’t pass that to the theme park.

However it eventually pans out, proof of a true need for accommodations needs to be part of the equation, IMO, including at Disney.
No, but it sure as heck limits how many people have access to it. Again, you have no valid explanation for why this particular company should even be doing this job.

I've already seen people say they tried to do that at Universal Orlando and were told by GS that they can't do anything without the case number from the TM on the phone. Even with the approval. I really hope you hear back soon! I wish they had capped it, like you can't apply until 30 days before your trip or unless you're an AP. Seems like it would've helped a bit.

IBCCES is really just approving that one submitted documentation, not so much reviewing the contents of that documentation for merit. It doesn't take a medical degree to determine:
1. documentation is from an acceptable source (medical provider, government entity or school IEP or 504)
2. documentation includes:
a. medical diagnosis and/or
b. explanation of the needs and accommodations

It really sounds like #2 is fairly loosely determined; I think they are primarily approving #1.

The theme park employees are still the ones who will approve/deny accommodations, and they do so without access to anything you submitted.

I'm not defending or recommending the business. But it is a legitimate company that has been doing this for several years for many theme parks. Anyone who thinks a doctor should be reviewing your info isn't going to find that anywhere at any business -- I don't believe the DMV contracts physicians to review HA tag applications, either.

Everyone is free to make their own decision as to whether they are comfortable enough to go through this process.
I agree.
IBCCES does not appear to be making medical decision at all; they are making documentation decisions. That doesn’t require any medical knowledge or judgement.

My guess is that they probably have a list of conditions, along with a list of documents required for that condition and what that document needs to include. If everything required is checked off, the person is approved. If not, they might be rejected or asked for more information.

From what I’ve seen in other places, I agree it looks like they are primarily approving based on #1 above. People in quite a few posts I’ve seen in other places are reporting getting approved based solely on #1 - for example, copy of handicapped parking permit, letter from doctor that only says the person has a “medical condition” without saying what or needs/accommodations

I sent Universal an email earlier tonight asking what we should do if our trip rolls around before we are contacted and just got this response

"Hello (EveDallas)

Thank you for contacting Universal Orlando Resort.

Our resort has been carefully designed, and our Team Members specifically trained, to provide equal accessibility to all of our Guests. As a courtesy to our Guests with disabilities, various types of accommodations are available.

I'm happy to report that if you have completed all the required steps listed on the IBCCES website, you have completed everything needed on your end. Once we receive your information from IBCCES, a Team Member from our Guest Accessibility Team will contact you to further assist with your accommodation. This program has just been initiated as of last week, so we ask for our Guests' patience as we contact everyone as quickly as possible. Should you not receive a call before your trip, please visit Guest Services with your IBCCES card and they can further assist.

Thank you,

Emily
Guest Communications
Universal Orlando Resort"

So at least according to this I can just take the card to GS if they don't call in time for our trip. I will save this email just in case anyone tries to say otherwise.

Amusement and Theme Park Autism Certification by IBCCES is big business - and seems to be their major business. On their website, they point out the business benefits of certification to the company.
IMG_2462.png

The cost to the Amusement/Theme Park is not only the initial training by IBCCES for certification, but includes costs for ongoing training to remain/ be re-certified. If they choose to also use IBCCES to do their accessibility program (Accessibility Card), the park gets additional benefits, including advertising specific to travel with people with autism.

I strongly suspect that Universal is in the process of becoming a Certified Autism Center and rolling out the guest certification by IBCCES is part of that process.
Disney is Universal’s competitor that most people think about. But, Disney is much more ‘family oriented’ than Universal, with many less thrill rides. Six Flags parks are all (or at least I think all) Certified Autism Centers and use the IBCCES Accessibility Card - those parks have more of the thrill rides, so are Universal competitors, even they are not in the same state. And, if someone is already an Accessibility Card holder, they can just add other parks. That would also be an advantage to Universal using it

IMG_2463.png

Amusement and Theme Park Autism Certification by IBCCES is big business - and seems to be their major business. On their website, they point out the business benefits of certification to the company.
View attachment 780368

The cost to the Amusement/Theme Park is not only the initial training by IBCCES for certification, but includes costs for ongoing training to remain/ be re-certified. If they choose to also use IBCCES to do their accessibility program (Accessibility Card), the park gets additional benefits, including advertising specific to travel with people with autism.

I strongly suspect that Universal is in the process of becoming a Certified Autism Center and rolling out the guest certification by IBCCES is part of that process.
Disney is Universal’s competitor that most people think about. But, Disney is much more ‘family oriented’ than Universal, with many less thrill rides. Six Flags parks are all (or at least I think all) Certified Autism Centers and use the IBCCES Accessibility Card - those parks have more of the thrill rides, so are Universal competitors, even they are not in the same state. And, if someone is already an Accessibility Card holder, they can just add other parks. That would also be an advantage to Universal using it

View attachment 780369
AH-HA!! Finally an explanation that makes business sense to me. I’m not sure it is a choice that will result in actual monetary gain, but at least I get the (potential) logic behind it now.

AH-HA!! Finally an explanation that makes business sense to me. I’m not sure it is a choice that will result in actual monetary gain, but at least I get the (potential) logic behind it now.
Yep.
I think it’s a business decision and has very little or nothing to do with cutting down on abuse

So just "pick a disability" and have your doctor right a note for it? What are you saying? People don't get to pick what their medical condition is. And being older and having physical limitations is not even close to the same thing as people's disabilities. That is expected when you get older. I did post here what my medical issue is and called a liar for it. So much for the public being understanding.
Why don't you explain exactly where I said "pick a disability and have your doctor write a note for it?" And exactly where I said anything in the world about age-related limitations? As I have stated numerous times on this very thread, my father has severe spinal issues. He's submitted reams of documentation to Universal already, for his previous accommodations, including multiple doctors' reports, MRIs, and physical therapist reports. He doesn't have a made-up disability that he got his doctor to write a note for. And it certainly isn't age related, given that it stems from a CAR ACCIDENT, after which he was given a 10% chance of coming off the operating table alive, never mind able to walk.

What I DID say was that THIS particular third party has chosen to accept a wide variety of proof of disability. If they required his MRIs, or his physical therapy records, or the records of all his procedures, he would submit them, just like he did to Universal originally. But they DON'T. So in THIS case, and this case alone, he submitted his handicapped parking permit application, because it contained everything that this particular company required. So my suggestion was that, for those who are concerned about data privacy, there is the option of submitting something that describes the person's physical limitations without going into detailed health information. That's it. And from there you jump to made-up disabilities and age-related limitations. Very nice to see how the disabled community supports each other.

So submit something that you don't really care if it gets out into the public sphere. My dad submitted his handicap parking permit application. It's got his name and address, his doctor's info, and a brief description of his physical limitations. If you look at him, you can guess that he has physical limitations. The entire free world can get hold of his address on the internet. If you happen to see his car, you'll see the handicap parking permit in it. If there's a data breach, it's really not going to rock his world. Don't submit something that you would feel uncomfortable if it was viewed publicly.
Why would a physical disability require the pass?

1. documentation is from an acceptable source (medical provider, government entity or school IEP or 504)​
2. documentation includes:​
a. medical diagnosis and/or​
b. explanation of the needs and accommodations​

It's a marketing ploy that is making tons of money off of people's disabilities. That should turn everyone's stomach sour, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter