Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it, obviously.

You don't like the new system, you don't trust IBCCES, so it's easy - if you go to Universal, you won't get the AAP.
You are defending this company like you own it. Do you have insider info in this company or are you just trusting?

I was recently at an Accessibility Expo and one of the neurodivergent panelists explained that when it comes to Autism, “If you’ve met one autistic person, that means you’ve met one autistic person” and when I read about this company offering “expertise” on Autism that quote was all I thought of.
Switch out "autism" and insert many/most diagnoses that may necessitate this pass. "But if you eat cinnamon and don't eat xxxx your condition will be cured!" Eyeroll.

The fact that every autistic person is different doesn't mean that there can't be expertise in the study of autism.
Absolutely - no doubt they’ve come with a wonderful “certification” program but I do question what their background is that makes this particular company able to go to these different businesses (I imagine some of whom already have their own departments concerning disabilities) and “certify” them. Is is like college? Pay a fee, get a B? Just kidding ☺️ But seriously, if every person is different and each disability is different what parameters are they using and why if the parks do not require an official diagnosis does this company? Is there something that makes them capable of reading through numerous medical diagnosis and determine which is a disability? Or is it just they read a doctor’s letter and say, “yep that person is disabled” - if that’s the case, why not just go to UO or Disney with that information? Why have this company determine disability?

I’m really happy for everyone this is working for but I just have some questions. I doubt either side is really going to change their mind and I’m struggling with the “you must not be that disabled/you must not really need accommodations” if you’re not willing to just jump right in with both feet vibe so I think shall bow out of this conversation.

Absolutely - no doubt they’ve come with a wonderful “certification” program but I do question what their background is that makes this particular company able to go to these different businesses (I imagine some of whom already have their own departments concerning disabilities) and “certify” them. Is is like college? Pay a fee, get a B? Just kidding ☺️ But seriously, if every person is different and each disability is different what parameters are they using and why if the parks do not require an official diagnosis does this company? Is there something that makes them capable of reading through numerous medical diagnosis and determine which is a disability? Or is it just they read a doctor’s letter and say, “yep that person is disabled” - if that’s the case, why not just go to UO or Disney with that information? Why have this company determine disability?

I’m really happy for everyone this is working for but I just have some questions. I doubt either side is really going to change their mind and I’m struggling with the “you must not be that disabled/you must not really need accommodations” if you’re not willing to just jump right in with both feet vibe so I think shall bow out of this conversation.
Just so there is no misunderstanding, I'm not in any way, shape, or form stating or implying that anyone on this thread isn't really disabled or doesn't need accommodations. All I'm saying is that even people who need them won't get them if they don't follow the process that Universal has laid out.

This isn’t a perfect system. The previous system wasn’t perfect. The system at Disney isn’t perfect. I’m sure IBCCES isn‘t perfect. What these theme Parks are struggling with is a balance of wanting to accommodate patrons to the degree that they can without negatively affecting the experiences of other patrons (as outlined by the ADA) all while dealing with a wide variety of disabilities that affect different people in different ways as well as people who choose to scam the system to benefit themselves. Since the theme park employees aren’t really equipped to determine eligibility via a medical Document, if they are going to require such proof they have no choice but to outsource it. IBCCES has been in this game for a while, so they are probably fairly competent in this arena. Will they make mistakes? I’m sure they will, but I’m sure mistakes were made in the previous system as well. I believe that these systems will continue to change over time and people will have to adjust to these changes (much as they did will the change from GAC to DAS).

I get that doing something different, and having to obtain medical records that you might not have readily available, will be frustrating and challenging to some. But hopefully over time this system will begin to feel more normal and will provide people with the accommodations that they need in order to be able to visit the parks.

On the 19th, I applied for the IBCCES Accessibility Card for my daughter (she was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when she was 5…she just turned 16) for our upcoming trip. I logged in and saw that she was approved today. I am honestly gobsmacked that she was approved because the only thing I had on hand to submit was her lab orders for her upcoming bloodwork appt. I had applied for the card and honestly assumed we would be denied, but I just wanted to see exactly what they wanted from her doctor since we have an endocrinologist appt next week. I will probably still get a letter just in case, but I am truly shocked that they approved her with just that lab order.

We have never tried to get the DAS at Disney, and we didn’t know that Universal had a program like that since last year was our first trip there. My daughter is so painfully shy and has had some bad experiences where she was left out/made to feel different as a result of being diabetic, so she didn’t even want to try to get any assistance passes. But this whole online/over the phone option is a huge game changer and she would like to try to get them now. She is a lot more comfortable doing the video chat with Disney or talking on the phone with someone from Universal than she would be standing in front of people and trying to “plead her case.” She didn’t even want me to do it on her behalf at the parks.

I am being cautiously optimistic about this and am interested in seeing how long it takes to hear from Universal.

I have a rare genetic mutation too and I didn't even include that diagnosis on the paperwork I used. I used my short-term disability paperwork which only includes mental disability-related stuff. IBCCES approved me for all the accommodations I requested, even though they weren't all mentioned by the form I used. I've heard you can actually block out your diagnosis if you don't want IBCCES to know what it is. They just need info about how it impacts you or what accommodations you need. They weren't very strict about it at all, but I have heard of people getting denied. I'm not sure what they're using exactly to prove disability, but anything official seems to work, and it doesn't seem to need your official diagnosis.
Thanks, this is super informative

Instead of being upset about they could do or might do, or what they could approve or not approve, or what they could say or not say, if you go to Universal and need the AAP, then why not apply and see what happens?

I can understand people being concerned about the short notice of the changes, but I don't understand all of angst over the "what ifs". If someone needs the AAP, they should apply, and if denied, then look at what next steps are for appealing/reviewing that decision.
I thought this was a discussion forum... are we not allowed to discuss our thoughts and concerns about a process now?

I'm very confused. I didn't realize this forum was only for talking about things that have already happened. I didn't realize discussing possibilities or discussing our concerns around access was not allowed here.

Security
IBCCES takes precautions to protect your Personal Information. When you submit Personal Information, your information is protected both online and offline. IBCCES uses encryption to protect your Personal Information transmitted online. Additionally, only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to your Personal Information. The computers/servers in which IBCCES stores your Personal Information are kept in a secure environment.
And yet somehow multiple banks who also do all of these things have had security breaches in their online system.

Just because someone tells you they're going to do something doesn't mean it will work.

You're missing the point. The point is that it sucks that these are your only two options now.

And for whatever reason, you are all over this thread, arguing with people who keep telling you this.
You're missing the point. The point is that it sucks that these are your only two options now.

And for whatever reason, you are all over this thread, arguing with people who keep telling you this.
I thought this was a discussion forum... are we not allowed to discuss our thoughts about a process now?

I'm very confused. I didn't realize this forum was only for talking about things on which we all agree. I didn't realize that disagreeing about something or pointing out the obvious wasn’t allowed here.

On the 19th, I applied for the IBCCES Accessibility Card for my daughter (she was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when she was 5…she just turned 16) for our upcoming trip. I logged in and saw that she was approved today. I am honestly gobsmacked that she was approved because the only thing I had on hand to submit was her lab orders for her upcoming bloodwork appt. I had applied for the card and honestly assumed we would be denied, but I just wanted to see exactly what they wanted from her doctor since we have an endocrinologist appt next week. I will probably still get a letter just in case, but I am truly shocked that they approved her with just that lab order.

We have never tried to get the DAS at Disney, and we didn’t know that Universal had a program like that since last year was our first trip there. My daughter is so painfully shy and has had some bad experiences where she was left out/made to feel different as a result of being diabetic, so she didn’t even want to try to get any assistance passes. But this whole online/over the phone option is a huge game changer and she would like to try to get them now. She is a lot more comfortable doing the video chat with Disney or talking on the phone with someone from Universal than she would be standing in front of people and trying to “plead her case.” She didn’t even want me to do it on her behalf at the parks.

I am being cautiously optimistic about this and am interested in seeing how long it takes to hear from Universal.
Does it have her diagnosis on it? Both my kids have hashimotos thyroid and their endocrinologist has their dx on all their lab slips. If that is the case, maybe people can submit insurance statements that have the.dx.

So you have no problem with giving your medical information with this random company? Where you don't know how they are handling that information or if they are even qualified to verify anything? You are that trusting and carefree about your personal information?
So submit something that you don't really care if it gets out into the public sphere. My dad submitted his handicap parking permit application. It's got his name and address, his doctor's info, and a brief description of his physical limitations. If you look at him, you can guess that he has physical limitations. The entire free world can get hold of his address on the internet. If you happen to see his car, you'll see the handicap parking permit in it. If there's a data breach, it's really not going to rock his world. Don't submit something that you would feel uncomfortable if it was viewed publicly.

So submit something that you don't really care if it gets out into the public sphere. My dad submitted his handicap parking permit application. It's got his name and address, his doctor's info, and a brief description of his physical limitations. If you look at him, you can guess that he has physical limitations. The entire free world can get hold of his address on the internet. If you happen to see his car, you'll see the handicap parking permit in it. If there's a data breach, it's really not going to rock his world. Don't submit something that you would feel uncomfortable if it was viewed publicly.
So just "pick a disability" and have your doctor right a note for it? What are you saying? People don't get to pick what their medical condition is. And being older and having physical limitations is not even close to the same thing as people's disabilities. That is expected when you get older. I did post here what my medical issue is and called a liar for it. So much for the public being understanding.

So just "pick a disability" and have your doctor right a note for it? What are you saying? People don't get to pick what their medical condition is. And being older and having physical limitations is not even close to the same thing as people's disabilities. That is expected when you get older. I did post here what my medical issue is and called a liar for it. So much for the public being understanding.
First, the PP said nothing even resembling “pick a disability and have your doctor right (sic) a note for it”. She gave an example of what her dad was able to submit, that it worked, and that it wasn’t anything that is t already in the public domain, which I would think would alleviate some of the fears of posters here who don’t want to submit their information.

Second, it’s insulting (and incorrect) to state that age-related physical restrictions aren’t really disabilities. In some cases they aren’t, and in some cases they are; none of us is able to determine what constitutes a disability for someone else.

Third, I don’t recall seeing anyone ever call anyone else in this forum a liar, but I hope you reported the post to the moderators.

Last edited:
First, the PP said nothing even resembling “pick a disability and have your doctor right (sic) a note for it”. She gave an example of what her dad was able to submit, that it worked, and that it wasn’t anything that is t already in the public domain, which I would think would alleviate some of the fears of posters here who don’t want to submit their information.

Second, it’s insulting (and incorrect) to state that age-related physical restrictions aren’t really disabilities. In some cases they aren’t, and in some cases they are; none of us is able to determine what constitutes a disability for someone else.

Third, I don’t recall seeing anyone ever call anyone else in this forum a liar, but I hope you reported the post to the moderators.
That post was taken down. Sorry you didn't see it. And how does the poster expect people to "just say what your comfortable with" when your medical issues are your medical issues. There is no "picking" which one is less uncomfortable for you. I know some of you are trying to help but you clearly are not understanding what some of us are saying. People should not have to go through all of these hoops, added expense, and give their information to random websites in order to get accommodations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter