Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

Completely disagree with you. They are going on rides with shorter less stressful lines, or seeing shows, or dining, or meeting a character or resting with a snack. They aren’t just standing in the middle of the park doing nothing waiting for their next ride. They are doing something just like the person waiting for their next Genie+ time is doing something.
All the people I know personally who use DAS are not going on other rides, seeing shows, or meeting characters, etc. Yes, we are "doing something" while waiting, e.g. lying down in First Aid or resting in a relatively quiet area, using the restroom (this can take a while for some of our friends), taking meds and hoping they work (If they don't work, we go home), or doing PT to keep muscles warmed up to try to prevent more pain, etc. I wish we were hale and hearty enough to entertain ourselves while waiting for a return time, but that just isn't the case for us. We all would LOVE to not need DAS and to be able to wait "like normal people."

Well you lot think this is fun for you?

Try travelling from the UK. I have just spent 2 hours sorting this out. Our health care works very very differently. I had no idea what that odd number for a health care provider was or is.

Our doctors would not write a letter saying why we would need a pass.

Lucky the online help was great. I ended up uploading my DS diagnosis letter from the NHS and they approved it.

Works so much easier here i walk up to Guest services, produce his diagnosis letter and or disabled parking pass and bingo.

HIPAA does not apply to medical information submitted by the "patient" or their "representative". HIPAA has no implications here. No protected health information or "PHI" is disclosed by a covered entity (those actually covered by HIPAA regulations like a hospital). Other privacy laws, such as CA state law(s) do apply.

If the park asked for information directly from the provider taking you out as the middle man, then HIPAA would be applicable and authorization required. No theme park is likely going to go directly to your doc, so this is moot.
They do ask for the license number for the provider, so is that to check/call to see if the documentation is correct?

Also, this means I have to waive my HIPAA rights that keep my documented disability private in order to get accommodations. That's just wrong - and putting that info online in a nonmedical database? Seriously?

They do ask for the license number for the provider, so is that to check/call to see if the documentation is correct?

Also, this means I have to waive my HIPAA rights that keep my documented disability private in order to get accommodations. That's just wrong - and putting that info online in a nonmedical database? Seriously?

A doctor is not going to talk to them unless you fill out a signed form giving consent. I don’t know if their fine print has this consent in it somewhere or not but I’m pretty sure I would need to fill out paperwork for my doctor before they would talk to this company and honestly I doubt my doc would want to waste his time doing this. He would probably prefer to write a letter honestly

Well you lot think this is fun for you?

Try travelling from the UK. I have just spent 2 hours sorting this out. Our health care works very very differently. I had no idea what that odd number for a health care provider was or is.

Our doctors would not write a letter saying why we would need a pass.

Lucky the online help was great. I ended up uploading my DS diagnosis letter from the NHS and they approved it.

Works so much easier here i walk up to Guest services, produce his diagnosis letter and or disabled parking pass and bingo.
I never considered those who are coming from out of the country. I feel this may be another reason that would have Disney not follow suit, as they are a much more international destination.

I never considered those who are coming from out of the country. I feel this may be another reason that would have Disney not follow suit, as they are a much more international destination.
They should have been clearer in the document requirements, but most people from outside of the US have government/national healthcare programs that register any disability that requires accommodations. That's why foreign parks (Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney) expect visitors to have something on them at all times. Because many people in the world do. The US is very unique in not having anything on the federal level, but we're also very unique in our absurd healthcare system.

You have to complete a HIPAA/HITECH compliant authorization (not consent) for them to obtain any information. Embedded consent is not enough. HIPAA authorizations are very specific in the fields that must be completed. You are not giving up rights.

The number they request is likely to verify the doctor exists. If it is the NPI, that is public info.

Just to follow up on my last one, people on face book from the uk with disabled children are getting around the issues by uploading a EHCP which is a document of need presented to a school.

The site needs to be much clearer in the documents they are willing to accept

I haven't read all the replies. But what concerns me about this in regards to Universal in particular is what it might do to people like my Dad who are already approved by Universal for specific accommodations. He has the next level of disability pass beyond the basic, and he got it by submitting reams of documentation to Universal and going through a lengthy review by their disability manager. It's all stored in their computer systems under a GC code number, and all he has to do is walk in and show his AP, give them the code, and they print out the relevant accommodation passes. I'm really hoping all that still works, and that switching to this new system doesn't close out that previous approval. I know several people in the same boat, and it would be horrible for everyone to have to start that whole process over again, or lose it altogether.

Len Testa from touring plans said recently on the Disney Dish podcast that they estimate about a quarter of people in the park are now using a disability pass and that this has been a big increase from before Genie + was added.
If true no wonder Disney wants to crack down!

As many have said, using IEPs or disabled parking passes as “proof” is not necessarily a good idea because they don’t speak to the specific need or the person with respect to visiting the theme park, especially because DAS isn’t for mobility related issues. Further, there are lots of anecdotes floating around of doctors offering to write notes for people to “cut the line.” If that’s all that’s required now I think it will backfire quite badly.

The only thing that will really work is to remove whatever incentive there is to “cheat” the system. If there is no (or very limited) advantage then DAS will be preserved for those who really need it. Eg if Southwest were to say that anyone who boards with a wheelchair must sit in the back of the plane and may end up in a middle seat, the number of “miraculously cured” fliers would likely be drastically reduced.

Len Testa from touring plans said recently on the Disney Dish podcast that they estimate about a quarter of people in the park are now using a disability pass and that this has been a big increase from before Genie + was added.
I'd need to see actual statistics to even begin to believe this. You can clearly see when someone goes through the FP lane with a DAS pass (it lights up blue) and there was no where near a quarter of people doing it when I was there for two weeks. I know that is a small sample size and there are other reasons the turnstyle can be blue, but I'm very suspicious of a quarter of people having DAS.

I'd need to see actual statistics to even begin to believe this. You can clearly see when someone goes through the FP lane with a DAS pass (it lights up blue) and there was no where near a quarter of people doing it when I was there for two weeks. I know that is a small sample size and there are other reasons the turnstyle can be blue, but I'm very suspicious of a quarter of people having DAS.
Either having DAS or being in their party. They worked it out by looking at the number of people using the LL and comparing that to the number of LL sold. You should listen it’s interesting.

The only thing that will really work is to remove whatever incentive there is to “cheat” the system. If there is no (or very limited) advantage then DAS will be preserved for those who really need it. Eg if Southwest were to say that anyone who boards with a wheelchair must sit in the back of the plane and may end up in a middle seat, the number of “miraculously cured” fliers would likely be drastically reduced.

I agree with this. Keep in mind that DAS was put in place after some (too many??) gamed the existing system (GAC) to the point of the negative publicity about groups "renting a handicapped person" to get the equivalent of "front of the line passes". It may not be fair to those who legitimately need the accommodations but there are clearly enough individuals trying to game the system for Universal to change the system. Consider the growth of fake "service dogs" and "emotional support animals" who do not actually meet the requirements because certain entitled individuals feel they do not need to follow the rules, which as usual hurts the ones who truly need the accommodations. It appears that the pendulum has again swung too far towards folks gaming the system and the parks (Universal) is pushing back and I am sure Disney will be watching closely.

Not here trying to argue with anyone, we are equally impacted by the decisions that Disney and other parks make. BUT I do realize that Disney is a business, that they have to do what is best for their operations, that they still are a magical place for many like my son and I appreciate the quality of the experience we get there. If the program has become cumbersome and they make changes - we will do what we have to do because that is our responsibility.

Of course they are not just standing in the middle of the park doing nothing. We are not walking across the park for a less stressful line just to come all the way back. We certainly don’t have the ability to wait for characters in a normal line. We will probably grab a snack, use the restroom or just wait in a shaded area or inside by guest relations in liberty square. All parties are different which is what makes DAS unique in helping multiple families enjoy the magic as much as possible with regards to their circumstances.
No one has to walk across a park and back - that is the plus of the DAS being in your MDE. You can plan your time in a way that while you are waiting for 7 Dwarfs DAS time you ride Small World, Carousel, Mickey Philharmonic (which is usually walk on for a seat and A/C), eating lunch, going the bathroom. All things the SB line folks are not getting to do.

Yes all parties are different and I think the ones who are just sitting waiting for the next ride are the minority of those using the DAS.

All the people I know personally who use DAS are not going on other rides, seeing shows, or meeting characters, etc. Yes, we are "doing something" while waiting, e.g. lying down in First Aid or resting in a relatively quiet area, using the restroom (this can take a while for some of our friends), taking meds and hoping they work (If they don't work, we go home), or doing PT to keep muscles warmed up to try to prevent more pain, etc. I wish we were hale and hearty enough to entertain ourselves while waiting for a return time, but that just isn't the case for us. We all would LOVE to not need DAS and to be able to wait "like normal people."
I think that is very much the minority of DAS users.

I'm not trying to diminish anyone's issues, my DS has some quite severe ones on top of multiple disabilities and medical issues. And many of us have medical issues that we don't use to obtain services. But as a family that has lived 24/7 with disability for 40 years - WE are responsible for our/his needs, and we have to recognize that sometimes the abuse of others (including those with disabilities) leads to changes in offerings and processes. I think the program needs changes (thanks to social media's wide offering of "how to get a DAS" and the two in advance) but I don't want the process to obtain to become difficult.

But if they want to use a third party system, that is their decision. Our choice is to make it work - apply for the card, move budget money to Genie+ (no TS for us now) or don't go. Disney is an optional luxury vacation and many who can't afford to go will call this "first world problems." NOT TRYING TO BE SNARKY - I have lived in the real world knowing that in the end, as long as nothing illegal is happening, it's on us to make the best and work with what we have.

And I suppose in this particular situation, Disney doesn't have to offer anything beyond the basic standards. I'm sure they always will but they might be adjusting the process.

I totally believe this. Social Media is full of how to videos to get a DAS. Unless Disney moves to a more vetted system, this is only going to get worse. Any time we scan in there are several in front and back of us that go blue and get automatic entry.

I think we are way past "a few" are scamming the system. There are literally accounts online Tik Tok and IG etc that their whole purpose is to discuss DAS, how to get and use. >:( Disney once again has an out of control system.

AI haven't read all the replies. But what concerns me about this in regards to Universal in particular is what it might do to people like my Dad who are already approved by Universal for specific accommodations. He has the next level of disability pass beyond the basic, and he got it by submitting reams of documentation to Universal and going through a lengthy review by their disability manager. It's all stored in their computer systems under a GC code number, and all he has to do is walk in and show his AP, give them the code, and they print out the relevant accommodation passes. I'm really hoping all that still works, and that switching to this new system doesn't close out that previous approval. I know several people in the same boat, and it would be horrible for everyone to have to start that whole process over again, or lose it altogether.
YEARS ago we had AP there where they literally printed DS AAP right on his AP card. Our cards had our photo on them, printed name and it stated he had pass right across the top. Maybe we had the same thing. In a way having this third party card would be a way to show it at any park that uses the system and they be able to give you the pass without issues. So say Disney and SeaWorld decide to use it (SW and Aquatica are already Autism approved by this same company) then when people go to Orlando all they have to do is show this card at the theme park and in exchange get their disability pass. That would likely save us lots of time not having to go through the approval process multiple times in a week.

If true no wonder Disney wants to crack down!

As many have said, using IEPs or disabled parking passes as “proof” is not necessarily a good idea because they don’t speak to the specific need or the person with respect to visiting the theme park, especially because DAS isn’t for mobility related issues. Further, there are lots of anecdotes floating around of doctors offering to write notes for people to “cut the line.” If that’s all that’s required now I think it will backfire quite badly.

Reminds of many years ago in NJ when DS was very young. DS went to a preschool special program that fed into multiple districts and we'd have lots of parent meetings. Several districts had become overwhelmed with the number of kids who were "special" and needed extra time to take tests and other extra help. Just because parents explained their kids issues (like we get a DAS). Well they decided any kid who received these special services would have to be evaluated and be classified aka label. Lots of kids were cured that year and no longer needed services.

People will always take advantage of special programs that gain them an advantage. Sadly. And sadly that sometimes means tightening up the qualifications for those programs. GAC went away due to abuse and overuse, and I'm afraid we are on path for another change.

Either having DAS or being in their party. They worked it out by looking at the number of people using the LL and comparing that to the number of LL sold. You should listen it’s interesting.
YUP. What this great MDE system has done is what folks feared with MB. TRACKS YOU. They know exactly how many people use DAS (holder and party) and they know exactly how many people paid for Genie+ and exactly how many LL each of them booked, and used.

MagicBand was developed to track guests movements, rides, purchases and more. Everyone jokes about what a failure MB was and how they don't give them to guests or push the sales. Last laugh is that Disney is getting all the info it wanted plus so much more via MDE. They could likely tell you what you did all day better than you can.

Last edited:
So universal have now said they will ring me once the process is completed.

Not a chance, i left my UK cell number. If they do i will be shocked disney needed a VPN before i could apply for a DAS.

Time will tell i guess

if Southwest were to say that anyone who boards with a wheelchair must sit in the back of the plane and may end up in a middle seat, the number of “miraculously cured” fliers would likely be drastically reduced.
Wheelchair chair pax are frequently able to walk the short distance from the end of the jetway to seats in the front of the plane. Requiring those pax yo sit in the back of the plane would require use of an aisle wheelchair to get those pax to the back of the plane. That would significantly slow the boarding process. Bring one pax to the back. Bring wheelchair back to the plane's door and bring the next pax back

Wheelchair chair pax are frequently able to walk the short distance from the end of the jetway to seats in the front of the plane. Requiring those pax yo sit in the back of the plane would require use of an aisle wheelchair to get those pax to the back of the plane. That would significantly slow the boarding process. Bring one pax to the back. Bring wheelchair back to the plane's door and bring the next pax back

My point is that it’s a well known issue that the line for wheelchairs is SIGNIFICANTLY longer boarding than deplaning, because there is a portion of the population that wants a front seat but doesn’t want to pay for it. Remove the incentive and then fewer people will request a wheelchair. It was an illustration of a perverse incentive structure, not a specific recommendation to the company.

The growth in DAS usage - especially if the 25% figure is close to accurate - may also reflect the incentive structure that Disney currently has in place. No question that there are people who legitimately need DAS. But it would be naive to think that everyone with a DAS requires it, and the pendulum seems to be swinging towards tightening the restrictions to cut out some of the cheaters. Making it less attractive FOR CHEATERS would also help to get DAS back to where Disney wants it to be without necessarily making people jump through more hoops.

I have bladder issues, some from trauma and general issues that woman who have kids get. Basically frequent urination and overactive bladder. I can sometimes go 2 hours without having to go or sometimes I have to go every 10 minutes. There is nothing that can be done for my condition. I don't regularly see a doctor because our insurance sucks and we have a high OOP deductible. I don't go unless absolutely necessary. So I don't have any kind of regular doctor. I would have to go to someone and hope that they believe me that I have this medical issue and are willing to go through this process, all so that I can enjoy a few days in a theme park once a year. Even with DAS, I barely go on any rides as it is. I mainly just walk around the parks.
Not everyone has issues that necessitate seeing a doctor on a regular basis and can just easily get a medical note. I am surprised that in this group that has to be explained.
This is going to turn into a "well if it is easy for me, it should be for you", type of thread. I think that it is fair to agree that not everyone has the same medical conditions and not everyone sees a doctor for them. That does not make them any less real medical issues that are helped by DAS.
I was about to write the same thing! I mostly use an OTC patch which helps more than the prescription I tried, but even then I still have the issue. Not much a doctor can do, so I doubt my current physician even knows that I have this problem.

$200 is the standard fee from our psychiatrist for anything they need to fill out. Online, physical, it does not matter.

They don't take insurance, it's all OOP, and they charge whatever.

The primary care physician does nothing for this. Literally zilch. And last I checked they still charge a paperwork fee at the regular doctor too.
All of my doctors charge to fill out the school sports forms, vaccination forms, or write notes. It's $25 a form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter