Universal Newbie....Disney Veteran. Need help planning!

You will figure it out. Our first visit was in 2002; we took the kids to IOA for a day while we were at Disney. The next year we stayed for 3 nights/4 days at Hard Rock. I don't remember if they had the EP system back then or not. We went back in 2008 and I'm pretty sure they had it by then. I have done a lot of solo trips without EP, but have always had it when the family was with me. Thanksgiving 2018 we had 2 club rooms at RPR which was great with young adults. You are going during a slower time, there is no one right way to do it!

Be aware there is a large Christian music festival, Rock the Universe, at the Studios park in the evenings Jan 26 & 27, which may draw more people that weekend, and the Mardi Gras events start Feb 3.
where do you look to see when the special days are? i do not want to go when there are events or potentially really busy times!! are the always on the same weekend every year?

where do you look to see when the special days are? i do not want to go when there are events or potentially really busy times!! are the always on the same weekend every year?
Rock the Universe (Christian Rock Music) is always the end of January and Mardi Gras is the beginning of February. If you avoid the weekends you will be fine. I think weekdays before the start of Mardi Gras would be the best as far as low crowds. But Universal is just like Disney as in you can plan around all the major holidays and events and then end up with a large cheer leading or sports team convention and the parks will get crowded. That’s one of the reasons we recommend Express Passes for a first visit. Especially if you have kids or big Harry Potter fans. The Express will help you get through the rides quickly so you have time for the HP areas, magic windows, choosing a wand, and exploring both lands.

Jan. 26 and Jan 27 is the Christian Music Festival. Avoid those dates if you can.

I learned that today when I was double checking my stay and realized I forgot to hit the book it button on the Hard Rock Hotel stay I'd planned on two months ago. Nothing is available there now nor is there availability for both days at any of the premier resorts that weekend.

Since we are stuck with those days I was able to book us in Cabana Bay. I'm hoping I like it as I've never stayed there.

I also booked us a dinner at Mythos - there wasn't much available left for the date we planned to do that so I'm glad to get that reservation.
We figure we will make the best of it even with Universal being busier than we thought it would be.

Jan. 26 and Jan 27 is the Christian Music Festival. Avoid those dates if you can.

I learned that today when I was double checking my stay and realized I forgot to hit the book it button on the Hard Rock Hotel stay I'd planned on two months ago. Nothing is available there now nor is there availability for both days at any of the premier resorts that weekend.

Since we are stuck with those days I was able to book us in Cabana Bay. I'm hoping I like it as I've never stayed there.

I also booked us a dinner at Mythos - there wasn't much available left for the date we planned to do that so I'm glad to get that reservation.
We figure we will make the best of it even with Universal being busier than we thought it would be
do you know if it is the same weekend every year? we would probably go the last week in january, first weekend in feb or last week in feb

5 people in one room...Portofino has larger rooms. AP rates at Portofino can be very reasonable. Short walk, back driveway, to Walgreens. Fun food, adult beverages etc

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 3.48.21 PM.png

@lionqueen Looks like in 2019 it was moved from Sept to late Jan/early Feb. Last weekend in Feb 2024 is OI meetup weekend (after hours event Friday and Saturday) Not necessarily the same weekend every year either.

If you go during Mardi Gras I would suggest doing a Dining Package the includes tickets to ride on the floats. We did that during our trip in February and it was my girls favorite thing they did.

We just stayed at Cabana Bay and loved it.

My opinion as far as how many days to spend at the park... we always do 5. We don't think it's too much. We just like to repeat rides and do everything in a relaxing way. (Although we always have the Express Pass because we stay at Hard Rock or Portofino Bay.)

We like a lunch at Finnegan's, which is a table service restaurant. We also do the shows which take more time than going a ride.

We usually do a day at each park twice and on the 5th day we park hop.

We sometimes leave the parks a little earlier to go to dinner at CityWalk because we love Antojitos and Cowfish.
I agree with staying at least 5 days, disneymom93!
We just went to Universal for 4 days this december and it was Not enough! I could have stayed a week and been happy. We went at a slow pace, no plans made ahead of time. I like to wander into the various stores and check out their merchandise. All the stores have different merchandise relevant to the area. It sounds like you like to do things in a relaxing way too:) I can't imagine hurrying all over the parks to be on a certain ride, like at disney.
We ate at Jakes bar and grill a few times in RPR, where we were staying. The food was excellent and the service great.
I can't wait to get back to Universal later this year.

so i'm thinking either 4 nights in january or i can stay 6 nights in feb. the week of presidents weekend. is it better to go for longer but bigger crowds or fewer days at a less busy time?

so i'm thinking either 4 nights in january or i can stay 6 nights in feb. the week of presidents weekend. is it better to go for longer but bigger crowds or fewer days at a less busy time?
When we are only talking 4 nights vs 6, I'd choose the less crowded dates as 4 nights is plenty of time to see everything, and I always find the parks more enjoyable when they aren't wall to wall people.

It's not even the wait times that get to me. It's just missing out on the little details because you can't see through all the people. Also, the constant surrounded on all sides can't easily move feeling, I hate that. I want to be able to wander around, take in the details and Easter eggs on buildings, enjoy the street performers, and take lots of fun pictures.

The other factor for me personally is that when we do longer Universal only trips, we spend quite a bit of time pool hopping or at the water park. I know for us Jan / Feb is usually too cool for that, so we don't need as much Universal time as a summer trip.

Having said that, I'd check the crowd levels forecasted for the other days you plan to go around President's weekend. If they are low to moderate, it might still be worth doing. If you have 6 days and only half of them or less are busy, you might not mind the couple of crowded days.

In addition, the parks have much longer hours on the holidays, so you'll have more time in the parks to offset the higher crowds. This opens up opportunities for night time rides, dinner in the park, and longer lunch breaks which might be positives for your group depending on your touring style and interests. February is also Mardi Gras. There will be concerts, food trucks, and the parade is amazing, so there's all that to consider as well.

Lastly, if you haven't already do some price comparisons. I can tell you right now that would probably be my number one reason for going in January instead of over President's Weekend. I'm not sure I could afford it, especially if I wanted to stay in a premier restort to get the EP which will be needed for those dates.

If you are only planning to stay on property and experience Universal then I would plan on January for all the reasons the above poster listed.

Four days at Universal at non crowded times (and probably no need for pool time or an afternoon devoted to water rides) is plenty. I would much rather visit a few weeks earlier with really low crowds especially if touring and exploring the Harry Potter areas is important for you guys.

Yes, and I will add that we are going for a week in February when crowds are foretasted to be low, and I am looking for other non-park activities to fill that time as I know we don't need 6 days at Universal. When I booked everything, we thought oldest was going to have to remote work from the room every afternoon, so I was looking at 6 half days, but now that we learned she won't, we have way more time than we need, and I'm not sure how to fill it without a car.

You don't really need a full week in the winter when water rides and pools are out unless you plan to add in other parks or attractions in Orlando.

I stayed at Aventura for a few days earlier this month (8th- 12th). The resort was not busy at all, and the pool (heated and with underwater speakers) was heated to about 80 and was perfect. The hot tub drew most of the attention when it was cold outside; I really enjoy ~102 degree bubbling water while breathing in crisp, cool air. I spent 2 hours in the tub on multiple days.

I paid $108/night.

I didn't go into the UO parks, but based on this resort's attendance I would say EP wouldn't be worth the additional cost(s) mid-January.

Are there shuttles to Sea World or Cape Canaveral if we decide to spend a few extra days at the resort? Also, do the resorts have an airport shuttle?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter