Universal Hollywood 1st Visit Help

ADisneyFamilyof5

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of taking the kids to Universal in March. We are planning on 3 to 4 nights in LA. Our teens are HUGE Mario fans so that is the main reason for our trip. A few questions:

- How many days should we visit? I know Universal Hollywood is not very big, but we want to be able to do everything we want without being rushed. The most they sell from my understanding is 2 day tickets, but we could go for the lower tier Annual Pass and visit to see the Holiday decor when we go to Disneyland in Nov/Dec as well. I just don't know if that's overkill.
-We will be going the last week in March (our Spring Break). We will be going to Universal during the week, so do you think we will need to do Express Pass for a day?
- Any hotel recommendations near Universal? We either need a suite for six or 2 rooms preferably connected. We have previously stayed the Magical Castle and LOVED it, but I am trying to keep costs down and we are not that interested in doing the Walk of Fame area since we have done that already.

I really appreciate any help!

We are thinking of taking the kids to Universal in March. We are planning on 3 to 4 nights in LA. Our teens are HUGE Mario fans so that is the main reason for our trip. A few questions:

- How many days should we visit? I know Universal Hollywood is not very big, but we want to be able to do everything we want without being rushed. The most they sell from my understanding is 2 day tickets, but we could go for the lower tier Annual Pass and visit to see the Holiday decor when we go to Disneyland in Nov/Dec as well. I just don't know if that's overkill.
-We will be going the last week in March (our Spring Break). We will be going to Universal during the week, so do you think we will need to do Express Pass for a day?
- Any hotel recommendations near Universal? We either need a suite for six or 2 rooms preferably connected. We have previously stayed the Magical Castle and LOVED it, but I am trying to keep costs down and we are not that interested in doing the Walk of Fame area since we have done that already.

I really appreciate any help!

Will you have a car?

Anything near the Metro B/Red line should make it easy for access to the Universal/Studio City station.

Lines_802_804__12_16_18_____Metro_Rail___Metro_Red_Line__Union_Station__North_Hollywood__Metro_Purple_Line__Union_Station___Wilshire_Western_.jpg

Universal for us is a 3/4 day park. One day should do it, but if you would like two days you will be able to enjoy everything at a leisurely pace. You're other option is one day with the front-of-the-line passes. Those are game changers. If you really want to splurge and get a VIP ticket, I recommend Peter Gardner. He is a friend of the DIS and is a tour guide there.

The 2 day tickets would be plenty. In March 1 day would probably be fine (as long as you’re not visiting near St Patrick’s Day when there can be a bump in crowds). Or 1 day with a front of line pass as suggested above.

With 3-4n in LA I wouldn’t stay near Universal as it’s only close to Universal. Places with reasonable/included parking would be Loews Hollywood, Magic Castle Inn or Hollywood Celebrity Hotel all in Hollywood. Or further afield is the Beverly Laurel Motor Inn in Beverly Grove, a nice walkable area close to the Farmers Market, La Brea Tarpits and The Grove. Plenty of shopping, dining and other attractions in that area as well and about as central a location as you can get to enjoy more of what LA has to offer.

If Super Mario World is the focus, be prepared to spend at least half a day in that land, between wait time for the one ride and all the interactive games. Also be prepared to spend $40 per interactive band purchased.

No one really knows how access to the land will go, but it seems like the plan is to require a land "reservation" for access. Some annual passes come with a guaranteed entry to the land after 3pm, so getting an annual pass *might* be worth it of the opening weeks prove that getting into the land is actually a challenge. It's a TINY space so access will be quite controlled. We are planning to go mid March for my son's 17th birthday and I'm leaning heavily towards buying an annual pass JUST for this guaranteed land entry. My kids and husband had no desire to visit Universal until this land opened and it's the ONLY reason we are even going, so not getting to visit the land would literally ruin the day.

I personally like the Hilton in Universal City. I ate the Hollywood area in general and would not choose to stay there, but this is removed from all that and I think it's a nice quiet, well appointed hotel.

If Super Mario World is the focus, be prepared to spend at least half a day in that land, between wait time for the one ride and all the interactive games. Also be prepared to spend $40 per interactive band purchased.

No one really knows how access to the land will go, but it seems like the plan is to require a land "reservation" for access. Some annual passes come with a guaranteed entry to the land after 3pm, so getting an annual pass *might* be worth it of the opening weeks prove that getting into the land is actually a challenge. It's a TINY space so access will be quite controlled. We are planning to go mid March for my son's 17th birthday and I'm leaning heavily towards buying an annual pass JUST for this guaranteed land entry. My kids and husband had no desire to visit Universal until this land opened and it's the ONLY reason we are even going, so not getting to visit the land would literally ruin the day.
We are the same way, only reason why we are going to Universal is for my teens to see Mario Land. My 15 year old is never excited about anything, but he is so excited about Mario Land. I knew the one day tickets with Express Pass had guaranteed access into Mario Land, but I didn't realize some annual passes did as well. I had decided against the passes, but they might be on the table now. I will keep researching, thanks!

We are the same way, only reason why we are going to Universal is for my teens to see Mario Land. My 15 year old is never excited about anything, but he is so excited about Mario Land. I knew the one day tickets with Express Pass had guaranteed access into Mario Land, but I didn't realize some annual passes did as well. I had decided against the passes, but they might be on the table now. I will keep researching, thanks!

It's only the Platinum Pass. But it also includes after 3pm express pass. If you will go more than like 2-3 times, it's worth it over paying for express out of pocket.

I personally like the Hilton in Universal City. I ate the Hollywood area in general and would not choose to stay there, but this is removed from all that and I think it's a nice quiet, well appointed hotel.
I'm planning for November for two days at Universal, also mainly for Super Mario World. I initially thought about getting the two-day pass but I'm also a bit nervous about not being able to get into the new land without reservations. So I'm leaning towards getting a regular 1-day pass for Thursday and an express pass for Friday. Do you think that's too much? Of course this would be x4 for my family with a 5 and 7 year old so it's not gonna be cheap. I'm also planning to do a 3-night stay at the Sheraton. I've heard from some that I can get everything done with a regular pass and going to the park early morning and late evening. But I feel that the new Mario Land is going to throw everything up in the air. I don't know. What do you think?

I'm planning for November for two days at Universal, also mainly for Super Mario World. I initially thought about getting the two-day pass but I'm also a bit nervous about not being able to get into the new land without reservations. So I'm leaning towards getting a regular 1-day pass for Thursday and an express pass for Friday. Do you think that's too much? Of course this would be x4 for my family with a 5 and 7 year old so it's not gonna be cheap. I'm also planning to do a 3-night stay at the Sheraton. I've heard from some that I can get everything done with a regular pass and going to the park early morning and late evening. But I feel that the new Mario Land is going to throw everything up in the air. I don't know. What do you think?
I seriously doubt express passes will be any help at all for Super Nintendo Land as I’m almost certain it will not be included. As others have said it’s likely to be a reservation/virtual queue situation. I’d go with the 2 day tickets.

I seriously doubt express passes will be any help at all for Super Nintendo Land as I’m almost certain it will not be included. As others have said it’s likely to be a reservation/virtual queue situation. I’d go with the 2 day tickets.
Express pass will get you in the new Mario Land without reservations. Just not the Mario cart ride.
  • Includes ONE-TIME (per day) express access to each ride (excluding Mario Kart™: Bowser’s Challenge – opening early 2023), attraction, and seated show, and one-time (per day) reservation-free entry into SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™ (opening early 2023) when reservations are required to enter the land

https://store.universalstudiosholly...bg6qEAAYASAAEgJQkvD_BwE&Ref=Lite&View=DEFAULT

I think by November, they won't still be requiring reservations to get into the land. Especially if you will be there midweek ahead of Thanksgiving.

I think by November, they won't still be requiring reservations to get into the land. Especially if you will be there midweek ahead of Thanksgiving.
you think? The new land is so tiny, and people from all over the country is going to want to see it. I don't know. Maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of it.

you think? The new land is so tiny, and people from all over the country is going to want to see it. I don't know. Maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of it.

I mean, how long did this last in Hogsmeade/Diagonal Alley?

Can you budget for the VIP tour? It might be cheaper for the 1 day VIP tour (and 2 night hotel) versus 1 day of general admission, one day of express passes, and 3 nights at the hotel. Normally I would say express passes are worth it but I don’t know how long it will exclude ride access to the new ride. In sneak peaks, I saw that there is an Express sign at the ride (I assume it’s the ride), so I think that will be the eventual goal. It’s just uncertain when that will be implemented.

Universal for us is a 3/4 day park. One day should do it, but if you would like two days you will be able to enjoy everything at a leisurely pace. You're other option is one day with the front-of-the-line passes. Those are game changers. If you really want to splurge and get a VIP ticket, I recommend Peter Gardner. He is a friend of the DIS and is a tour guide there.

I booked the VIP tour for February. If I want to request him, do I just call? Ours is supposed to be the first tour of the day, though - so I’m not sure if they already have them scheduled for certain times?

I booked the VIP tour for February. If I want to request him, do I just call? Ours is supposed to be the first tour of the day, though - so I’m not sure if they already have them scheduled for certain times?
I'm not sure how it works, but it wouldn't hurt to call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter