Universal EVC

dizmom2mwjk

If only he loved Disney as much as I do
I was in an EVC at Univesal pre-covid, and they kept taking me to elevators, etc., which made our wait in lines much faster (no, we did not get to "skip" the lines, I do not have a permanent disability or any official type of medical pass, it was just a little faster). Now, we are going with a group, and I am again in a situation (having foot surgery) so I will most likely be in one again. My daughter wants to purchase an express pass because her friends are getting them, however, our entire group was kept together last time I was there. We are only going to be there one day. Do we need to buy the express passes? Our trip is early February. How much time do they really save? Do we need to make "reservations" for the passes like Disney? or are they just shorter walk up lines? We only make it to Florida every 2-3 years, so policies change every time we go.

We are also going to Disney, so will I need some kind of medical pass there? I am more familiar with Disney policies, but have not purchased passes yet. We are not staying on Disney property. I do have a temporary Handicap card for my car, and am planning on purchasing an annual pass (might be going again in the fall, so can justify).

Any advice, tips, or hints are appreciated!

I am not sure about Universal, but since they use the same system as Six Flags now, I will say you may have to register with the third party to be allowed to use your mobility device in the queues. It also, ECVs aren't allowed in most of their queues.

I don't believe ECVs are allowed in most queues at Universal and guests are required to transfer to a manual wheelchair. I haven't heard about access via elevators so I wouldn't count on that. Based on fairly recent reports on the Universal thread, I do not believe you need to register with IBCCES just to bring the ECV into the parks, or to use a wheelchair in the queues.

At WDW the vast majority of queues are accessible to both wheelchairs and ECVs. A few will require you to transfer to a manual wheelchair for the queue. There are a couple at MK that may issue a "wheelchair return time" to come back and enter via the Genie+ queue.

Guests riding Hogwarts Express can take their ECV, take a lift to the track level and might bypass part of the line.

Otherwise transfering to a courtesy wheelchair prior to entering the queue is common.

Universal is not as scooter friendly as Disney.

Universal allows ecv’s in the express line for MIB. I just learned this on our Jan. trip. I don’t know which others do. I know Hagrids doesn’t. Ask at each ride.

We are going to CA and doing Disneyland and USH. I have an electric wheelchair and I’m familiar with getting around Disney with it. 99%of the time, it’s treated just like a manual wheelchair. Am I going to need a manual wheelchair for USH?

We are going to CA and doing Disneyland and USH. I have an electric wheelchair and I’m familiar with getting around Disney with it. 99%of the time, it’s treated just like a manual wheelchair. Am I going to need a manual wheelchair for USH?
My experience is about 6 years ago, but I remember people with electric wheelchairs (not ECV but the type open on the front like a regular wheelchair) going into the lines at US/IOA in Orlando. These were people who I guessed had their own personal chairs and perhaps used them full-time as they didn't look like rentals. Not very helpful I know but hopefully it is the same in Hollywood.

If its the same size as a manual chair with a good turning radius you should be fine. The lines are too tight for ECV’s and some electric chairs that have a wide turning radius.

Ok good. I think I’ll be fine then. Mine turns on a dime, though when I have the basket on the back, it does make it swing wide, so I’ll leave it off that day.

Guests riding Hogwarts Express can take their ECV, take a lift to the track level and might bypass part of the line.
Well sorta. I wouldn't really call it a bypass. There is a lift/elevator, but it is small. Both wheelchairs and strollers use the same elevator, so it really depends how many parties have mobility devices at the same time. It is a bit like using an elevator to get in the monorail at the Contemporary. If if happens nobody ahead of you has any mobility devices, it could be a little faster. Much of the time though it will be slower.

For Hogwart's Epress itself, it also matters if a passenger can transfer. I think the ride has only so many spaces for passengers that are unable to transfer.

At Universal, a wheelchair is probably a better option than an ECV. At most attractions and EVc user will need to transfer to one of the attraction's loaner wheelchairs. This is also true for a few WDW attractions as well. I'm not sure about Universal, but the loaner wheelchairs at WDW were kinda dirty. Luckly, they were only required for a few attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter