• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal Day from WDW?

mjmarshall1510

Earning My Ears
Hi all, wondering if anyone has tried to work a Universal park day into a Disney trip and what your experience was with doing so. Is it worth the travel and giving up a Disney park day? We are going to be staying on-site at Disney for a week, but my son is a big Harry Potter fan right now so we were considering taking a day just to do the Harry Potter thing. The rest of Universal doesn't really interest us at this point, as our kids are too small to enjoy many of the attractions.

Hi all, wondering if anyone has tried to work a Universal park day into a Disney trip and what your experience was with doing so. Is it worth the travel and giving up a Disney park day? We are going to be staying on-site at Disney for a week, but my son is a big Harry Potter fan right now so we were considering taking a day just to do the Harry Potter thing. The rest of Universal doesn't really interest us at this point, as our kids are too small to enjoy many of the attractions.
I plan on doing this in 2024, and I will post how it goes. We are doing a Universal day, 1 day only, at the front end of the trip, then the rest at WDW.

You didn't mention how old your kids are, but if they're too short to enjoy many of the attractions I would say wait until they're a little older. Even the Harry Potter attractions have height requirements where little kids may not be tall enough for. Also you would need to get a 2 park ticket if you want to ride the Hogwarts Express and see both sections of the Wizarding World.

I've done this before and felt like it was worth it but I didn't have any small kids with me. The drive from WDW to Universal is about 25-30 minutes (with traffic). I took an Uber there so I didn't pay for parking but I think parking is $30 and preferred is $60. Resort guests get 1 hour early park admission so if you were to get there around opening you would be held in Seuss Landing (if going into IoA) until official park open.

I took an Uber there

Follow up question if you don't mind! What was your experience like using Uber to travel between WDW and Universal? Planning a solo day for a future trip and have never used Uber/Lyft between the Parks before. Did you try to get to Universal for rope drop, and if so, you have trouble finding an available driver? Where did it pick you up/drop you off at your resort?

Follow up question if you don't mind! What was your experience like using Uber to travel between WDW and Universal? Planning a solo day for a future trip and have never used Uber/Lyft between the Parks before. Did you try to get to Universal for rope drop, and if so, you have trouble finding an available driver? Where did it pick you up/drop you off at your resort?
I don't mind! : )

I did try to get there at rope drop since I wanted to be in the front of the offsite holding area (Seuss Landing). I was physically standing outside my resort around 6:50-7 am and was in Citywalk around 7:45. Didn't have any problems finding a driver to and from Universal. I stayed at Kidani/AKL so I was picked up and dropped off right in front of the lobby doors. At Universal you are dropped off at the top of the parking garage in the Jurassic Park section (unless that has changed since I did this in 2022.) It is quite a hike to the park gates so take in account the time to walk through the parking garage, get through security, walk through City Walk and then line up at the gates and/or the offsite holding area.

I don't mind! : )

I did try to get there at rope drop since I wanted to be in the front of the offsite holding area (Seuss Landing). I was physically standing outside my resort around 6:50-7 am and was in Citywalk around 7:45. Didn't have any problems finding a driver to and from Universal. I stayed at Kidani/AKL so I was picked up and dropped off right in front of the lobby doors. At Universal you are dropped off at the top of the parking garage in the Jurassic Park section (unless that has changed since I did this in 2022.) It is quite a hike to the park gates so take in account the time to walk through the parking garage, get through security, walk through City Walk and then line up at the gates and/or the offsite holding area.

Thank you so much!!! I know the hike from the Jurassic Park lot all too well :faint: I really appreciate this great info!

We do this regularly. We have not had issues getting ride shares, but we don't go at rope drop.

Another option we sometimes choose is to stay at a Universal resort the first night of our trip. If you stay in a deluxe resort, you'll get express passes included for the days you check in and check out, plus early park entry.

Like someone else mentioned, I might hold off on the Universal day if your kids are very small.

Another option is to get dropped off at Hard Rock or Royal Pacific resort and walk from there. Unlike Disney, you will not be questioned about it.

There are some online travel agencies which sell Universal tickets with the same early entry perk enjoyed by resort guests. You can google and research it, I make no recommendations but reports on here have said they were legit.

Another option is to get dropped off at Hard Rock or Royal Pacific resort and walk from there. Unlike Disney, you will not be questioned about it.

There are some online travel agencies which sell Universal tickets with the same early entry perk enjoyed by resort guests. You can google and research it, I make no recommendations but reports on here have said they were legit.

Appreciate this so much!!!

You didn't mention how old your kids are, but if they're too short to enjoy many of the attractions I would say wait until they're a little older. Even the Harry Potter attractions have height requirements where little kids may not be tall enough for. Also you would need to get a 2 park ticket if you want to ride the Hogwarts Express and see both sections of the Wizarding World.

I've done this before and felt like it was worth it but I didn't have any small kids with me. The drive from WDW to Universal is about 25-30 minutes (with traffic). I took an Uber there so I didn't pay for parking but I think parking is $30 and preferred is $60. Resort guests get 1 hour early park admission so if you were to get there around opening you would be held in Seuss Landing (if going into IoA) until official park open.
Oh that's a good point. My son is tall for his age and he wants to go see all of the Harry Potter things, but we're not sure what else he'll want to do since he's probably at the point where he's "too cool" for Seuss-land.

I personally don't think the Flight of the Hippogriff is worth waiting in line for unless you have express passes or the line is super short. We had express and it still took us about 45 minutes to get on this disappointing coaster. The line moves super slow.

Other rides that may interest your kids besides the Seuss dark ride is the Spiderman ride (one of my fave's), ET dark ride, Men in Black and Transformers. The Bourne Stunt Show and the Monster Makeup show are also highly entertaining. The Monster Makeup show is funny, not scary.

Hippogriff is basically HP version of The Barnstormer at MK.

You can buy an interactive wand and do spells in both HP sections. Each section has a HP quick service restaurant, gift shops , shows, butter beer. 🍺

On whether or not it is worth for you giving up a Disney day to go really depends on your relationship with Disney, how long you'll be there, what you want to do, if you'll be going back to Disney, etc.

Now on the merits of Universal: for a Harry Potter fan it is an absolute must. The two worlds in the parks are amazing in their detail and immersiveness. I especially like just wandering around Diagon Alley and could spend hours there even without doing the rides. Just seeing the dragon burst into flame, drinking butterbeer, walking through knockturn alley, exploring the shops, etc. There's just so much to explore and discover. Park hoppers and Hogwarts Express (in both directions) are a must for a Harry Potter fan and it can be ridden and enjoyed by all ages.

With little kids, I'd also highly recommend Camp Jurassic in Islands of Adventure. It's a giant playground with lots of nooks and crannies to explore, including caves, rope bridges, slides, etc. There's also the Pterandon Fliers which can only be ridden by kids under a certain height.

Someone else also mentioned ET - this is a really great ride that would also be doable by younger audiences. Minions also has a newly expanded land if your kids are interested in that IP.

So there's definitely lots to do that would be worth going to for a day even for a family with small kids. Taking one day to go while already in town for Disney would allow you to see it to check it out without the risk of planning a full vacation there. Now whether it is worth exchanging a Disney day for is something that only you can decide.

We visit Universal every single trip when we go to WDW. We travel a long distance to get to WDW so we want to make the most of our holiday. Harry Potter is SO well done and not to be missed. I would get a park to park ticket and make sure you get there right at opening as there is lots to see. There are lots of other great attractions there too.

We went to Universal for one day while at disney one time. However, we only went on the studios side but got to see the HP land on that side. We wished we had more days to see both sides and also ride the hogwarts train back and forth. The next time we stayed overnight in a premium hotel to get the express passes included and we got to go back and forth to each park.
I would recommend 2 days or at least get park to park tickets (I don't know what they cost) because the HP lands are fantastic! You feel like you are walking into the books or movies. Don't miss Knockturn alley. It is hard to find and we found it by accident one day. It is dark and scary with Borden and Burkes store which is just like in the movies.
I can't say enough about the HP lands. They are worth the ticket price alone, to us. Have a great time:)
Just answering yor question too:)
We just took a taxi and did just fine. There are many taxies lined up in the parking area at Universal, so there is no problem getting one back. I've never done Uber either, but just stick with taxis.

I think this went away this year. At least, I think that's what my travel agent said. Just verify before you make plans including early entry without staying onsite.

I think this went away this year. At least, I think that's what my travel agent said. Just verify before you make plans including early entry without staying onsite.
That is why I told them to do some research on it. I have only heard of it from previous threads, I have an AP so never used this myself.

How many times have you been to WDW? When we started doing USO with my kids, they were 10 & 12 before they would ride everything. We've been going to WDW almost annually since my oldest was 15mo (he's 20 now). We'd go to WDW for an average of 10-days so giving up 1 or 2 days to do USO was fine. We've done rideshare without an issue but we've also had a rental car at times as well.

If your son wants to see HP, you might consider getting a 2-park ticket as Hogsmeade and taking the Hogwarts Express are both really cool parts of HP. Maybe consider adding an extra night to stay at a USO resort and then head over to WDW? If my boys were able to go with us this trip, we'd be doing just that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter