United Nations predictions for children - not good.

Louie7080

Registered
From reuters dot com

"But the U.N. report warned that “economic hardship experienced by families as a result of the global economic downturn could result in an hundreds of thousands of additional child deaths in 2020, reversing the last 2 to 3 years of progress in reducing infant mortality within a single year.”
With businesses shut down and more than a billion people told to stay home to avoid spreading the virus, the International Monetary Fund has predicted the world would this year suffer its steepest downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
The United Nations said an estimated 42 million to 66 million children could fall into extreme poverty as a result of the coronavirus crisis this year, adding to the estimated 386 million children already in extreme poverty in 2019.

The U.N. report on children also said 188 countries have imposed countrywide school closures, affecting more than 1.5 billion children.
“The potential losses that may accrue in learning for today’s young generation, and for the development of their human capital, are hard to fathom,” it said. “More than two-thirds of countries have introduced a national distance learning platform, but among low-income countries the share is only 30 percent.”
Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Tom Brown"

From reuters dot com

"But the U.N. report warned that “economic hardship experienced by families as a result of the global economic downturn could result in an hundreds of thousands of additional child deaths in 2020, reversing the last 2 to 3 years of progress in reducing infant mortality within a single year.”
With businesses shut down and more than a billion people told to stay home to avoid spreading the virus, the International Monetary Fund has predicted the world would this year suffer its steepest downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
The United Nations said an estimated 42 million to 66 million children could fall into extreme poverty as a result of the coronavirus crisis this year, adding to the estimated 386 million children already in extreme poverty in 2019.

The U.N. report on children also said 188 countries have imposed countrywide school closures, affecting more than 1.5 billion children.
“The potential losses that may accrue in learning for today’s young generation, and for the development of their human capital, are hard to fathom,” it said. “More than two-thirds of countries have introduced a national distance learning platform, but among low-income countries the share is only 30 percent.”
Certainly sounds reasonable. Sad, but believable.

Children have been living in extreme poverty before this happened. I have my own opinion on why everyone seems to car now but I’m not getting it that on the dis.

I’ve said from the beginning people were going to die because of covid and never catch it or be exposed to it.

There is alot of collateral damage from this and I have said that since the beginning. It is unfortunate and it is not given the attention it needs.

And some ppl said when this started that there were be deaths besides those from Covid b/c of the economic situation & they were dismissed.
Not dismissed just there would be deaths and impacts either way. In Honduras, things are closed down. Children may starve because their parents cannot work and get food. If no lockdown, many children wouldn't eat because their parent died from Covid and they starve. Between a rock and a hard place.

Not dismissed just there would be deaths and impacts either way. In Honduras, things are closed down. Children may starve because their parents cannot work and get food. If no lockdown, many children wouldn't eat because their parent died from Covid and they starve. Between a rock and a hard place.
I disagree. Their parent MIGHT have died but by being to work & provide for their children, starvation is much more certain.

I disagree. Their parent MIGHT have died but by being to work & provide for their children, starvation is much more certain.
Not necessarily. We are helping some in Honduras in that situation. They will live and eat. I realize not everyone will have that.

U.N. report on children also said 188 countries have imposed countrywide school closures, affecting more than 1.5 billion children.
This is very true. I'm an elementary teacher and as I've mentioned in other threads, young kids don't tend to teach themselves well. Especially ones with busy and/undereducated parents, ones who don't have much technology or Internet access, ones who barely speak English, and ones with developmental delays. Millions of challenged kids are hurting from the school closures right now. Extending school closures well into next school year would be absolutely devastating to them. Children's lives matter, too. We need to reopen the schools in the fall.

Another example of how the cure is worse then the disease. Children will die and will lose huge amounts of educational time, economies will collapse, families will be destitute, huge numbers of people jobless, but we’re preventing a Very small percentage of (mostly already medically fragile) people from death!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter