• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

United Flight Change Question

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
United changed our flight next February and we now have a 35 minute layover at O’Hare instead of an hour and 17 minutes. It’s been years since I’ve had a layover at O’Hare. Should I change it?

35 minutes is cutting it close especially for O'Hare. Look at the stats for your particular flight and how often it's on-time vs late/extremely late. If that flight seems to be late a lot you would probably want to highly consider getting it changed if possible.

35 minutes is cutting it close especially for O'Hare. Look at the stats for your particular flight and how often it's on-time vs late/extremely late. If that flight seems to be late a lot you would probably want to highly consider getting it changed if possible.

Thank you! I called and switched it. We decided not to take any chances. We are now departing and arriving at comparable times, but have an hour layover in Newark instead.

Last edited:
In my experience with United at ORD you need at least an hour to be safe. I did months of weekly flights on AA with a 30-minute connection and never missed it. When UA was offering slightly better fares for the same route I booked two round trips with 45 minute connections and missed three out of four. YMMV, but UA seems much more stringent on closing the doors 10 minutes before scheduled departure even when they know there are connecting passengers on flights that are even slightly delayed.

The OP has already resolved this but I wanted to add that you should check out your other options online before you call. I usually fly United and I tend to book early so I always run into schedule changes. I have learned to check on my flights frequently. I have never had a problem switching but always call with a specific flight in mind.

The OP has already resolved this but I wanted to add that you should check out your other options online before you call. I usually fly United and I tend to book early so I always run into schedule changes. I have learned to check on my flights frequently. I have never had a problem switching but always call with a specific flight in mind.

Thank you. For once, I thought ahead and did exactly as you suggest. It did make the whole process of switching flights much easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter