Unique Resort Experiences Free & Paid

PrinceOfPeace

Mouseketeer
Hello!! I’m taking my kids for the weekend and one child is burnt out on Disney (nature lover). What kind of unique experiences can we do at the resorts (free or paid) that would fill his love for nature? I heard you can rent canoes?? Not sure if it is only for resort guests?

Last edited:
Hang out at FW. You can go horseback riding, rent bikes or boats, sit on the beach, lots of open space, dog park, etc.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/kayaks/

• During peak times of the year, only Resort hotel Guests or Guests with dining or recreation reservations may be allowed to enter the Resort hotel area to park.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/kayak-or-canoe-rental.3915594/

https://www.fairytalesandfitness.com/2022/07/canoeing-at-fort-wilderness.html
Great idea! Thank you!

There’s a paid tour at AKL Kidani-Sunset Safari where you go out on the savanna area of the hotel at night with night vision len . You learn about the different animals.
He would love that! I will look into it. Thank you.

Last edited:
Someone posted elsewhere that they were having trouble booking the Starlight Safari at Animal Kingdom Lodge. My comment was that pre-COVID, you could use night vision goggles at AKL without going on the tour. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

The "Sunset Safari" is no longer offered. That one happened during daylight hours and included dinner at Jiko.

This thread has the monthly activity calendars from the different resorts. You can browse to see if anything is of interest.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/monthly-resort-recreation-calendars.3871996/

As PP mentioned, there is a TON to do at Ft. W. My DS absolutely loved the archery experience there (need reservations), visiting the stables, renting canoes/kayaks, fishing, gem mining, renting bikes, etc. They also have very good QS food, IMHO, so you can have a meal there or even spend the day and then go to HDDR (need reservations and a bit pricier). You can also rent a pontoon boat and boat on the lagoon. So much to do there!

Go to each hotel on the website and you might find some interesting things.

Animal Kingdom Lodge you can go and observe all the animals from many vantage points at no cost. Dining is great there so you could combine with a meal. We have also sat in the lobby and enjoyed live music. They do painting (fee) classes there as well so you really could spend an afternoon doing many different things in a stunning hotel.

Wild About Painting at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge

Yehaa Bob Jackson at POR.
Make your own Mickey tie-dyed t-shirt at OKW (I think most/all DVC do this). It came out really nice.

Attachments

• 352385111_935148214420689_1072338261354022750_n.jpg
    352385111_935148214420689_1072338261354022750_n.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 7
Someone posted elsewhere that they were having trouble booking the Starlight Safari at Animal Kingdom Lodge. My comment was that pre-COVID, you could use night vision goggles at AKL without going on the tour. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

The "Sunset Safari" is no longer offered. That one happened during daylight hours and included dinner at Jiko.

This thread has the monthly activity calendars from the different resorts. You can browse to see if anything is of interest.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/monthly-resort-recreation-calendars.3871996/
I see. Thank you for the information.

If you go to the parks at all, animal kingdom has the Wilderness Explorer activity book that you can get by Tree of Life where you can do various badge activities around AK.
Thanks so much. We have done this before. Looking for more non-park alternatives.

AKL houses an impressive African art collection. Not just in the lobby but in the hallways. You can freely walk up and down all the hallways on all the floors and see some amazing things, both in cases and on the walls.

While you're there, walk out to the end of some hallways (not all--sorry, I forget which ones this works on) where there's an exit to outside. Step outside and get a great savanna view.

Would that be at Fort Wilderness?
No, the guided tour is in a private pontoon boat out of Yacht Club or one of the MK resorts.
Fort Wilderness has bicycles, horseback riding, Segway tours, archery, pole fishing, kayaking, and a gem mining activity - all for an extra cost, of course
* call to confirm activities, we’ve done all but the kayaks and segways, so can’t confirm they’re up & running right now

No, the guided tour is in a private pontoon boat out of Yacht Club or one of the MK resorts.
Fort Wilderness has bicycles, horseback riding, Segway tours, archery, pole fishing, kayaking, and a gem mining activity - all for an extra cost, of course
* call to confirm activities, we’ve done all but the kayaks and segways, so can’t confirm they’re up & running right now

You can also do the guided fishing tour from Fort Wilderness....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter