• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unheated curry village in April

Mrspeaks

DIS Veteran
My dates have changed and I had to cancel my Yosemite Valley lodge reservation and could only get an unheated tent in Curry Village. It will be mid April. Staying will be myself, husband and two “city girls” 7 and 9 years old. Anyone have experience during this time and how cold it might be on the tent? I’m going to keep checking for other options.

Hi,

It will be cold at night.

I was actually in Housekeeping in May one year, when there was still snow and the roads were closed, plus it was raining (= leaky eating area)... We took our down throw covers and fleece throws (the kind you wrap in on the couch), and slept so toasty warm. It's been a while since I've been in a Curry Village tent cabin, and from what I remember we had sheets and army blankets - wool blankets (we stayed in June). Do you have any comforters that you could take with you? My brother is going April 10-15 and staying in Housekeeping, and I may join him. I'm planning on taking my comforter with me and a beanie to cover my head at night. You should also take some of those slipper socks, especially for the kids so they can keep their feet warm at night.

Keep in mind that the bathrooms are shared so you should have flashlights handy to walk to them if you need to use them in the middle of the night. At least, the bathrooms do have lights. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi,

It will be cold at night.

I was actually in Housekeeping in May one year, when there was still snow and the roads were closed, plus it was raining (= leaky eating area)... We took our down throw covers and fleece throws (the kind you wrap in on the couch), and slept so toasty warm. It's been a while since I've been in a Curry Village tent cabin, and from what I remember we had sheets and army blankets - wool blankets (we stayed in June). Do you have any comforters that you could take with you? My brother is going April 10-15 and staying in Housekeeping, and I may join him. I'm planning on taking my comforter with me and a beanie to cover my head at night. You should also take some of those slipper socks, especially for the kids so they can keep their feet warm at night.

Keep in mind that the bathrooms are shared so you should have flashlights handy to walk to them if you need to use them in the middle of the night. At least, the bathrooms do have lights. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Since we are flying to LAX to start our trip, I don’t know how much luggage room I could devote to blankets, lol. Glad to hear you stayed warm even when there was still snow out. I think I’ll hold onto the reservation while I’ve got it and continue to check. We will be coming from the south entrance. Would staying at Curry be better for enjoying our day in the valley versus staying at Wawona?

Since we are flying to LAX to start our trip, I don’t know how much luggage room I could devote to blankets, lol. Glad to hear you stayed warm even when there was still snow out. I think I’ll hold onto the reservation while I’ve got it and continue to check. We will be coming from the south entrance. Would staying at Curry be better for enjoying our day in the valley versus staying at Wawona?

From Wawona to the valley it is a haul. Easily a good hour drive.

That being said, it will be cold at night in April.
According to the NPS website: Weather in April is usually pleasant, with average highs in Yosemite Valley in the 60s and lows in the 30s. However, rain and snow are still possible.

If it were me, I would get a cabin in Redwoods in Yosemite, which is a community near Wawona Hotel. I would drive the 35-45 mins to the valley. I have done this a few times and the drive seemed shorter each time we did it during the trip.

I checked today and was able to get a heated cabin in Curry! I’m going to keep checking and hope to maybe get something at Yosemite Valley Lodge, at least now we have heat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter