Unfortunately disappointed compared to WDW resorts

I am talking about the natural beauty of Hawaii. Another poster was saying that "they have seen mountains", so the ones on Hawaii are not impressive to them. This was not about Aulani, and if you actually read my post, you would see that I was referring to the Island.
I got the gist of how you feel throughout the comments both about Aulani and Hawaii.

We live within hours of each other, I know what being landlocked in the middle of the U.S. feels like. But all of what someone else feels like still nets you the same result...more room for you whether that's at Aulani or Hawaii so I don't see the point in being that abrupt about your differing feelings, that's all.

Holy condescending meatballs Batman. I can see beauty in the world. I'm not miserable. A good country song can still bring a tear to my eye. Please don't project your relationships with your parents on me. I don't know why this is so hard for people. I said all the great things about the trip in my first post. The mountains are beautiful. But all things considered, for me it is overhyped and not worth the cost. Sorry if I find the Swiss Alps or the Rockies just as lovely. Sorry if travelling 6 times zones sucks. I'm glad I went. I'm glad I experienced it. I'm not racist to locals. I don't hate animals or small children. I didn't blow my kids college fund in a fit of unpreparedness. I simply didn't get that tingly skin sensation, religious angels singing experience that others have. For me it was good. Not great. Not amazing. Not worth more time and money than a trip to WDW, DCL, DL, DL Paris, Europe or the Caribbean. Some people love caviar. Others try it, and say its expensive fish eggs.

And with that . . . I say good day.
But I'm truly confused. No offense, but you said you did a ton of research, that every single person you talked to said that it was either overpriced or overhyped or just not that good, so why did you go? Now, as you know, I feel otherwise, but if I were researching a destination I hadn't yet visited, and every single person whose opinion I trusted was very negative, I think I might reconsider the trip.

I research everything as well. Regarding Aulani, menus, prices, restaurant reviews, merchandise reviews, YouTube videos and tours of every single part of the resort and every single room type, plus all the other Ko Olina hotels, are readily available online. And they're all pretty accurate, some positive, others more critical. Did your research include any of this?

Anyway, I'm sorry it wasn't for you, though it is a different type of vacation than what you get at WDW, and I'm thinking you might have been able to reach that conclusion before you went with an hour or two on the internet.

That said, I'm not a fan of any of the luaus, so at least we agree on that, and I think we're all fans of WDW.

Aulani hotel rooms are larger than Aulani studios and much larger than most WDW rooms.

Most WDW deluxe rooms? No, they are not.

They are 382 square feet. They fall in the middle of WDW deluxe room sizes. Rooms at several resorts are larger. In any event, they aren't large enough for daybeds and none of them sleep 5. The use of space in the rooms is inefficient. There is far too much space dedicated to the bathrooms and entry foyer, which is hardly usable space.

Most WDW deluxe rooms? No, they are not.

They are 382 square feet. They fall in the middle of WDW deluxe room sizes. Rooms at several resorts are larger. In any event, they aren't large enough for daybeds and none of them sleep 5. The use of space in the rooms is inefficient. There is far too much space dedicated to the bathrooms and entry foyer, which is hardly usable space.
We stay in the one bedrooms, and they seem super large and nice. I’ve never actually heard anyone complain about the entry foyer or the bathrooms, but, uh, whatever. In terms of Aulani, I do agree with Pete Werner, though. It’s hands down the best DVC property.

I'm not a DVC member. I would be booking a HOTEL room, not a villa. It's also a hotel.
So, to chime in…

I think this is an important point. We are DVC members and have now been to Aulani 5 times and hope to go back next year.

However, when we go, we always use points and get a 2 bedroom, which has a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Are other resorts great too? Yes, but at Aulani, I can use my DVC points to get a Hawaiian vacation. We always rent a car (parking is included for DVC members) and make Costco/Target our first stop. We eat in most nights, maybe eating out once or twice a week. Also, you can load up on Mai Tai’s at Costco as well. Last few times, we have had views over the Haleiwa lawn, so we get to watch the Luau multiple times for free, all while enjoying my Trader Vic’s Mai Tai’s, chips, and that awesome Maui salsa they sell at Costco. In the mornings, I enjoy my Vanilla Macadamia Nut coffee on the same balcony.

Now, would we do this if we weren’t DVC members? Heck no! However, the value proposition, at least for us, has changed a lot over the past few years. As our DD has gotten older and the parks have become so more not user-friendly, especially for us, who never get up early, the whole Genie+/park reservation thing just takes away from how we used to do the parks. We have found more value in the Aulani, Veros, and HHI’s of the system lately, and out of all those, we prefer Aulani.

Now, this is totally specific to us, but it is what works for us. And if we weren’t DVC, it would completely change the calculus. But for DVC folks, Aulani is a very good proposition.

For me the Hawaiian experience starts as soon as they open the cabin doors from the plane and you get to smell the Island. Combined with the landscapes, people, weather and geopolitical stability, I have yet to find a more perfect place to enjoy life.

PS. The poster above sums up everything that makes Aulani perfect for our family too.

Aulani belongs in the same conversation as Hilton Hawaiian Village and Turtle Bay. Not WDW. It’s silly to compare especially since Aulani doesn’t sell Tomato soup.

@CaptainAmerica, I’m here for you. Ready to join the Avengers. Then you rip my past time a new one. I’m not sure where to go from here?
I can't recommend it as a "lounge for a week" vacation for someone whose flights are 10+ hours and $1,000.

So, to chime in…

I think this is an important point. We are DVC members and have now been to Aulani 5 times and hope to go back next year.

However, when we go, we always use points and get a 2 bedroom, which has a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Are other resorts great too? Yes, but at Aulani, I can use my DVC points to get a Hawaiian vacation. We always rent a car (parking is included for DVC members) and make Costco/Target our first stop. We eat in most nights, maybe eating out once or twice a week. Also, you can load up on Mai Tai’s at Costco as well. Last few times, we have had views over the Haleiwa lawn, so we get to watch the Luau multiple times for free, all while enjoying my Trader Vic’s Mai Tai’s, chips, and that awesome Maui salsa they sell at Costco. In the mornings, I enjoy my Vanilla Macadamia Nut coffee on the same balcony.

Now, would we do this if we weren’t DVC members? Heck no! However, the value proposition, at least for us, has changed a lot over the past few years. As our DD has gotten older and the parks have become so more not user-friendly, especially for us, who never get up early, the whole Genie+/park reservation thing just takes away from how we used to do the parks. We have found more value in the Aulani, Veros, and HHI’s of the system lately, and out of all those, we prefer Aulani.

Now, this is totally specific to us, but it is what works for us. And if we weren’t DVC, it would completely change the calculus. But for DVC folks, Aulani is a very good proposition.
Indeed. We stay two weeks when we go. If I wasn't a DVC owner, no way would I pay approx. 20K for an ocean view one bedroom. But we love it, and comparisons to luxe WDW resorts aren't really valid.

We have our 4th trip to Aulani/Hawaii coming up late October. We are older parents. My husband is 76. Our adult children in their 30's are both disabled. We love Hawaii and had planned on going in the Fall of 2020, so this is a much-delayed trip. We always rent a car, cook almost all meals in our villa and go sightseeing around the island and stay on one of the other islands for a week or more after Aulani. While out of the resort area touring, my "kids" like to eat at one of the fast-food joints and food trucks. Just order the "local" breakfast at McDonald's and you will get something totally different than what you would expect. Hawaii is an experience. We have booked the Aulani luau even though we have gone to other luaus previously. Why? Because, as older adults, we are at the point in our lives when we realize that this might be our last trip as a family to Hawaii and we want to give our "kids" an experience to remember and cherish.

Any trip to anywhere in the world is what you make it. We have had bad trips, for sure. But those are often the ones we remember the most and laugh about them for years to come.

If your goal was cost efficiency, a nice hotel, and cheap food, there were many better choices than DVC (and hawaii/Disney in general). This is true in Orlando as well. I’d say DVC and Disney in general as a hotelier isn’t the value of the competitors. But at least in florida, Disney has the parks.

If your goal was cost efficiency, a nice hotel, and cheap food, there were many better choices than DVC (and hawaii/Disney in general). This is true in Orlando as well. I’d say DVC and Disney in general as a hotelier isn’t the value of the competitors. But at least in florida, Disney has the parks.
Except that in Hawaii you won’t find cheap food anywhere, and I can’t think of any brand new, from the ground up hotels that have been built on the islands since. Almost all of the nicer hotels have been around forever, have been remodeled but still show their age and look pretty generic, like the Four Seasons next door, which is kind of an outdated eyesore.
In my opinion, Aulani’s design is truly unique and beautiful, with a pretty magical location. And the Disney touches are all super fun. Not fair to judge it unless you’ve been there.

Except that in Hawaii you won’t find cheap food anywhere, and I can’t think of any brand new, from the ground up hotels that have been built on the islands since. Almost all of the nicer hotels have been around forever, have been remodeled but still show their age and look pretty generic, like the Four Seasons next door, which is kind of an outdated eyesore.
In my opinion, Aulani’s design is truly unique and beautiful, with a pretty magical location. And the Disney touches are all super fun. Not fair to judge it unless you’ve been there.
In fairness I think that's probably because in Hawaii the design is suited to appeal to the masses while still providing features of Hawaii.

You can get more unique style hotels, we found bungalow style tree house feeling ones on our search in Maui and Kauai when we were searching earlier this year but not bigger hotels throughout the islands and the ones we found were usually isolated and didn't have any food places except for maybe 1 or so. One we found it was more like intended for you to do grocery shopping and cook which was fine.

Anywho I think you'd probably find that Disney could get away with their design style because it's Disney and a specific clientele is going there. If you don't like Disney why would you go to Aulani? You'll find a lot more people wanting Marfiott or Four Seasons albeit the don't want places to show their age too too much.

I think OP said that? OP's main issue seems to be price. If the goal was cost effective, IMO Disney anywhere and Hawaii in particular were probably not optimal choices.

In fairness I think that's probably because in Hawaii the design is suited to appeal to the masses while still providing features of Hawaii.

You can get more unique style hotels, we found bungalow style tree house feeling ones on our search in Maui and Kauai when we were searching earlier this year but not bigger hotels throughout the islands and the ones we found were usually isolated and didn't have any food places except for maybe 1 or so. One we found it was more like intended for you to do grocery shopping and cook which was fine.

Anywho I think you'd probably find that Disney could get away with their design style because it's Disney and a specific clientele is going there. If you don't like Disney why would you go to Aulani? You'll find a lot more people wanting Marfiott or Four Seasons albeit the don't want places to show their age too too much.
We tend to like the larger, newer hotels, where as you know the options in Hawaii are surprisingly limited. So for us Aulani is perfect. Don’t understand exactly what you mean when you say “Disney could get away with their design style because it’s Disney and a specific clientele is going there.”

There’s nothing over the top Disney about Aulani, other than it’s got a soaring beautiful lobby totally unlike any other hotel in the islands. It’s the only hotel I can think of that’s actually made an effort to truly incorporate a sense of Hawaiian design. So I don’t think they’re ”getting away” with anything other than putting some creative thinking into high rise resort architecture, which Oahu kinda desperately needs. But, again, my wife and I generally like large, high end resorts, and are less interested in the secluded tree house kinda experience, no matter how nice it might be. I guess Aulani’s water slide and lazy river might be unusual, but who doesn’t love a water slide and lazy river? I wish every resort hotel had them!

I think non Disney fans might not have the correct perception of Aulani. There are many Disney fans, this thread’s OP included, who dislike it because it’s not Disney enough. So why would non Disney fans go? It’s a super nice hotel, and the lagoons in my opinion have the best swimming of any Hawaiian resort.

Except that in Hawaii you won’t find cheap food anywhere
I kind of disagree with this. One of the first great tips we got on Kauai was about Foodland Poke. It's $5 and is a really good meal. Costco exists and I don't find the prices insane. When we are on North Shore we go to places like Pupukea grill. We will eat meals in Kapolei rather than Ko'olina for variety.

I'll admit I don't do our yearly Hawaii vacation on the cheap or try to find value. We do a 3 nights at Aulani and then head for the north shore of Kauai for a week and a half. This may just be because I'm exchanging money from Canadian or that I'm from Toronto and so I'm used to higher prices. The Disney price is the Disney price and you make allowances. The rest of the island I find pretty well priced

I think OP said that? OP's main issue seems to be price. If the goal was cost effective, IMO Disney anywhere and Hawaii in particular were probably not optimal choices.
Ah got it! You’re right. Hawaii is not a bargain vacation destination, and prices there can be a bit of a rude awakening.

I kind of disagree with this. One of the first great tips we got on Kauai was about Foodland Poke. It's $5 and is a really good meal. Costco exists and I don't find the prices insane. When we are on North Shore we go to places like Pupukea grill. We will eat meals in Kapolei rather than Ko'olina for variety.

I'll admit I don't do our yearly Hawaii vacation on the cheap or try to find value. We do a 3 nights at Aulani and then head for the north shore of Kauai for a week and a half. This may just be because I'm exchanging money from Canadian or that I'm from Toronto and so I'm used to higher prices. The Disney price is the Disney price and you make allowances. The rest of the island I find pretty well priced
Absolutely true…if you look, and make the effort, you can definitely eat more inexpensively in Hawaii, especially Oahu. It’s the resort restaurants and restaurants near the resorts that are very pricey, more so than other non Hawaii locations.
Honolulu is also a great place for foodies, and has a ton of very expensive but excellent high end restaurants, so that figures into the issue as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter