Underrated/Overrated: Restaurants Edition

I have never seen Marrakesh full
I think Marrakesh suffers from location. You don't see it at all when you're touring the park. San Angel is a focal point of the Mexico pavilion and the ride. Chefs de France is seen as you stroll by. Via Napoli is clearly visible when you are in the Italy pavilion. Marrakesh is hidden away in the back and has no windows. I think in hindsight that was a design flaw.

I think Marrakesh suffers from location. You don't see it at all when you're touring the park. San Angel is a focal point of the Mexico pavilion and the ride. Chefs de France is seen as you stroll by. Via Napoli is clearly visible when you are in the Italy pavilion. Marrakesh is hidden away in the back and has no windows. I think in hindsight that was a design flaw.

i think the style of food is not super appealing to a lot of park goers though as well. We at at Spice Road Table this past trip which is right there, on the water, and was still rather empty. even during Illuminations (and it had a very good view of Illuminations) it never got more than 2/3 full

i think the style of food is not super appealing to a lot of park goers though as well.
What do you think is going on here? Is it an I've got my kids with me and I know they won't like anything on the menu or is it a I know I'm spending $$ at an Epcot restaurant so with that kind of money I'd rather go with French, Mexican or Italian (arguably more comfortable & approachable) menus for North Americans.

I've found great food at lower prices at eg Marrakesh for lunch. At dinner, the comparable plate is hiked in price for the evening guests. But lunch is a very good value OOP. I've also chatted with couples next to me at lunch & they have explained they are frequent lunch diners here b/c they love the lunch specials and enjoy a different, lower cost, getaway lunch at a somewhat 'romantic' atmosphere when grandparents are taking care of the kids for the day.

Sanaa at Kidani is a great lunch value. Great food at decent prices b/c it is tucked away, outside of the parks & it requires a wee bit of homework to figure out (actually how easy & fast it is) to get here from AK on the bus. Now, getting back to AK on the bus takes more time but still worthwhile esp for adults who view AK as a less intensive touring park.

What do you think is going on here? Is it an I've got my kids with me and I know they won't like anything on the menu or is it a I know I'm spending $$ at an Epcot restaurant so with that kind of money I'd rather go with French, Mexican or Italian (arguably more comfortable & approachable) menus for North Americans.

I've found great food at lower prices at eg Marrakesh for lunch. At dinner, the comparable plate is hiked in price for the evening guests. But lunch is a very good value OOP. I've also chatted with couples next to me at lunch & they have explained they are frequent lunch diners here b/c they love the lunch specials and enjoy a different, lower cost, getaway lunch at a somewhat 'romantic' atmosphere when grandparents are taking care of the kids for the day.

Sanaa at Kidani is a great lunch value. Great food at decent prices b/c it is tucked away, outside of the parks & it requires a wee bit of homework to figure out (actually how easy & fast it is) to get here from AK on the bus. Now, getting back to AK on the bus takes more time but still worthwhile esp for adults who view AK as a less intensive touring park.

It might be the kids, but could also be an adult. I just think that when you are on vacation it is usually with your family/group and if there is one or two people that are picky/not adventurous then you are going to avoid the places that seem to only have things that won't appeal to them.

Like you said, you spoke to a couple at Marrakesh and I noticed several couples at Spice Road table as well ... it is harder when you have more people and someone in that group thinks there is nothing for them at a particular place.

I noticed that Skipper's Canteen updated their menu and for the most part the main thing that changed was the names of entrees to be more "normal" sounding and, at least when we went there, it was more full than previous reports I had heard

Overrrated: Flame Tree BBQ. Many consider this one of, if not, the best QS inside any park. I don't think it's on any level above all the rest of the QS locations.

Underrated: Trails End. Good food. Lower price and less crowded than most buffets.

Overrrated: Flame Tree BBQ. Many consider this one of, if not, the best QS inside any park. I don't think it's on any level above all the rest of the QS locations.

Underrated: Trails End. Good food. Lower price and less crowded than most buffets.
I'll totally agree with you on Trail's End. Love the comfort/home cookin' food there, and it's awesome to chill out on the beach and watch the EWP and Wishes after dinner, too! :)

Underrated: Sanaa ... don't hear a lot of mention of it but I think the food is wonderful with a lot of variety and even if some of it sounds exotic they have plenty of options that even non-adventurous eaters would like such as the amazing bread service. Added bonus that you can see the animals while you eat and it makes for a great break spot for lunch during your Animal Kingdom days as short bus ride over to Animal Kingdom Lodge

Totally an underrated favorite. Their bread service is legitimately one of my favorite things in the world.

Underrated: Tokyo Dining in Epcot. I eat here nearly every time I'm at WDW and have never had a bad meal. The service is always great, the food is good, and even when it's full, it's never too loud for me to carry on a normal conversation with others at my table. That last point is a big deal for me...I want to be able to talk without yelling to be heard. It's relatively easy to get an ADR here and I've also had pretty good luck walking up without a reservation and being seated quickly.

Tried this for the first time during our mega meet trip and it was lovely! It was a nice respite from a hot day and the food was yummy.

Underrrated....Olivias (I am always hesitant to post this, as it is also the best kept secret in Disney Dining!!)

Oh this is another favorite. The one time I was able to get my mom to come to WDW with me, we had the loveliest lunch at Olivia's.

For deep dish that's definitely true. There is a distinct chicago-style thin crust too.

True story: I had no idea there was a thin-crust Chicago style until our local New York-style pizza place was replaced with a Chicago style one. I went in expecting Uno's and was totally surprised.

Adding to the thread:

Underrated: Tangerine Cafe. A great place to grab QS at Epcot that isn't too expensive. It's a great break from the hamburgers. Plus you can generally get a seat with ease. Last school trip to Epcot, many of the students ate at the Tangerine Cafe and really enjoyed it. It was nice to get to see them try different foods than some of the usual things they have at school.

Overrated: Chefs de France. I've eaten there a few times and my experience has always been okay, but not remarkable. Their French Onion soup was even just okay - I've assuredly had better. It's not a place that I'll put high on the list to go back to anytime soon.

Underrated: Tangerine Cafe. A great place to grab QS at Epcot that isn't too expensive. It's a great break from the hamburgers. Plus you can generally get a seat with ease. Last school trip to Epcot, many of the students ate at the Tangerine Cafe and really enjoyed it. It was nice to get to see them try different foods than some of the usual things they have at school.
Love Tangierine Cafe! Definitely a "must do" for me when I'm in Epcot, usually for a nice lunch.

[QUOTE="disneysteve, post: 56296762, member: 42533]
Underrated: Pecos Bill's. I think their chicken fajita platter, embellished with salsa and guac from the toppings bar, is one of the best meals and best values on property. (but don't go telling everyone or else it will get smaller, more expensive, and less good)[/QUOTE]

Agreed! We can actually share one of these platters! Big and delicious. But don't tell Disney!

I will say that when it comes to buffets....Cape may cafe should never get thrown in with any regular buffet in Disney
I really enjoy Cape May. All you can eat snow crab legs, shrimp, calamari, etc is exciting for me. Now, if you are on the East Coast & buy fresh, premium seafood at a decent price, then it may not be your thing. But for a landlocked Northerner, it is a real treat.

It's been awhile, but I also very much enjoyed the character breakfast buffet @ Cape May. So did the Team, who did a vlog and review not too long ago. Pete said he was pleasantly surprised.

Underrated: The Turf Club at Saratoga Springs, literally never heard anybody say anything about this restaurant and we had a FABULOUS meal there with outstanding service by a delightful server.

Overrated: Be Our Guest. May get some flack for this one, we went back in 2013 and it was exquisite, returned in May and it was just disappointing in terms of both service and food.

Underrated: The Turf Club at Saratoga Springs, literally never heard anybody say anything about this restaurant and we had a FABULOUS meal there with outstanding service by a delightful server.

Overrated: Be Our Guest. May get some flack for this one, we went back in 2013 and it was exquisite, returned in May and it was just disappointing in terms of both service and food.

Be Our Guest seems to be really inconsistent. you are not the first one I have heard say about food and service being disappointing but we just ate there last trip and both were quite good (one of the better servers we had and the food was not amazing but quite good)

Underrated-
- Pinnochio's Quick Service in MK. I love this place, I thought they had better Pizza Than Via Napoli.
- Sunshine Seasons in Future World in Epcot. I feel like they have very good food and a lot of choices for a walk up quick service place, I never see people talk about this restaurant.

Overrated-
- Via Napoli. I wanted to like this place so bad, I even went back and tried it 3 times thinking maybe i just kept getting it on an off night. But every time I went I either had a rude waiter, who would keep pressuring me to order more food.. When I say I don't need an appetizer or a dessert, it means I'm not that hungry, and I won't eat it, it doesn't mean keep asking me so you get a bigger order, since I'm by myself. Also "no ice" in my drink is not that complicated. All 3 times they brought back my coke with ice. And how hard is it to get a warm pizza? One that's not either room temp or cold. I also didn't really like any of the topping options. No hamburger / beef option. I'm not a fan of sausage, too spicy. And they didn't offer deep dish crust either. I'm just not a fan of cracker think pizzas.

- Ohana. I Just didn't like the food here at breakfast. I feel like other buffets such as Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's are so much better. I was disappointed with my experience, considering so many people always talk so highly about the food here.

Be Our Guest seems to be really inconsistent. you are not the first one I have heard say about food and service being disappointing but we just ate there last trip and both were quite good (one of the better servers we had and the food was not amazing but quite good)

I think it is mainly the luck of the draw depending on who serves you. Joint most disappointing meal on our last trip was the Yachtsman which has always been outstanding. Food was good but the service left a lot to be desired. She poured a drink over a member of our party and never apologized, didn't make any conversation other then to ask if it was my partners parents anniversary then when they said no but that it was my and my partners engagement just said "well, my notes are wrong". Wouldn't be major in any other restaurant in all honesty but with it being the Yachtsman it seemed off.

EDIT: I feel as though I have to qualify this by saying that I would still give my left testicle to be sat in the Yachtsman with a Filet Mignon right now <3

Last edited:

I have heard wonderful things about Turf Club but was always worried that I would take the bus out there & end up with a lukewarm prime rib. What did you order/what would you recommend?
I had a tough experience at BOG dinner last Fall. Left waiting on the bridge for 50 mins & when I asked CMs what was up, they explained they had lost my ADR & since I was a solo diner, they didn't think I'd mind & could always come back some time later. Once I made it in, my dinner was very good (lamb) but service & seating was rushed. In and out in less than 40mins. I was in the main ballroom at the back cheek to cheek with other guests. I don't mind BOG for a quick, tasty lunch but not a fan. Would much rather have a nice, relaxed dinner at Sanaa.

Overrated: Be Our Guest. May get some flack for this one
No flack here.

We had dinner there 2 years ago. I am very happy that we went. I enjoyed getting to see the inside of the place. But I would never do it again. You are paying a big premium for the location. The food was okay. The service was okay. It just wasn't worth the price.

I have heard wonderful things about Turf Club but was always worried that I would take the bus out there & end up with a lukewarm prime rib. What did you order/what would you recommend?
I had a tough experience at BOG dinner last Fall. Left waiting on the bridge for 50 mins & when I asked CMs what was up, they explained they had lost my ADR & since I was a solo diner, they didn't think I'd mind & could always come back some time later. Once I made it in, my dinner was very good (lamb) but service & seating was rushed. In and out in less than 40mins. I was in the main ballroom at the back cheek to cheek with other guests. I don't mind BOG for a quick, tasty lunch but not a fan. Would much rather have a nice, relaxed dinner at Sanaa.
I actually had the Chicken Pasta and hugely enjoyed it, it was a nice light option where steakhouses usually fail on that front. we had a party of 6 and we all had something different and there was not one complaint which is always a good sign. Special shoutout goes to the desert, they do this gorgeous chocolate espresso torte with the most amazing raspberry sauce. It was a cheap dessert that felt like it could have been priced ALOT higher. A couple of us got an extra one to take back to our studios. I think it was actually my favourite meal.

Have to totally agree on the Turf Club - had several wonderful dinners there, both food and service. Only reason I didn't say it was because even thought it was in my mind, somebody said Olivia's, and I decided to pick that, since we could only pick 1, but again - totally agree!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter