• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unarmed man shot by police in North Miami

I actually agree the cop is in the wrong here. I think most cops need more training and so forth. I just am sick and tired of every incident being racism when a cop is involved. It actually could be that the cop wasn't trained well and accidentally pulled the trigger. I also think they treated him horribly after he was shot, but that might have been for their own protection (with all the death threats on police).

How was that action for their own protection? He wasn't doing anything remotely close to threatening their lives or them. That is illogical.

The articles I have read stated that the cop was upset and didn't know why he shot the man. Of course we don't know all the facts, but right now it doesn't sound like racism or aggressive behavior. It sounds like the cop accidentally pulled the trigger when he didn't mean to.
A cop shot someone "accidentally" and didn't know why? I find that highly unlikely, but if so, that is one officer who needs to remove his uniform- permanently.

Making excuses for bad-apple cops is an offense to the majority of cops, who are hardworking, intelligent, brave and fair.

Jumping to judgement is the main reason our country is in the state we're currently in. I live in South Florida & have learned to wait for all the info to be released, before jumping to conclusions. There is almost always more to the story. The shootings of totally innocent people anger me too, but I'll wait to get upset, until the investigation is complete. You'd think that's one lesson we as a nation would have learned by now.
Ah, the voice of reason.

I'm wondering if in fact the police were trying to shoot the autistic person who was not responsive to commands and had something in his hands? Mind you, I'm not justifying this shooting not even an iota, simply trying to understand what is incomprehensible to me.

I see nothing to support the use of a weapon, particularly knowing the police were receiving information to explain the situation from one very compliant subject, information that merited much greater caution than was used here. Restraining the victim after shooting him? No. He was completely compliant and clearly explained the situation to boot. Nope, nope, nope.

Sad and unfortunate for sure. I'm glad it didn't end differently in that the man was shot and killed. I wonder if this proves LEO's do in fact have the ability to shoot and not have to shoot to kill?

Sad and unfortunate for sure. I'm glad it didn't end differently in that the man was shot and killed. I wonder if this proves LEO's do in fact have the ability to shoot and not have to shoot to kill?
I think whomever the cop was aiming for, he missed. I don't see any reason you would aim for the leg of a man who's not even using his legs at the time.

I actually agree the cop is in the wrong here. I think most cops need more training and so forth. I just am sick and tired of every incident being racism when a cop is involved. It actually could be that the cop wasn't trained well and accidentally pulled the trigger. I also think they treated him horribly after he was shot, but that might have been for their own protection (with all the death threats on police).

The races of the people involved don't automatically point to racism for me.

Where the situation really falls apart for me is, beyond the inexplicable use of potentialy deadly force, the officer(s) then approached the two subjects, one of whom had been shot despite clear compliance and explanation, and they found the other subject with a toy truck in his hands and they STILL restrained the gunshot victim? Much is wrong here, very much.

It's not only the use of force that we authorize law enforcement to employ that we should be concerned about. The use of restraint is another important power they are allowed, under strict rules. That should not be overlooked or taken lightly either. Good policing is an important concern for everyone who wants to live in a civilized society.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if in fact the police were trying to shoot the autistic person who was not responsive to commands and had something in his hands? Mind you, I'm not justifying this shooting not even an iota, simply trying to understand what is incomprehensible to me.

I see nothing to support the use of a weapon, particularly knowing the police were receiving information to explain the situation from one very compliant subject, information that merited much greater caution than was used here. Restraining the victim after shooting him? No. He was completely compliant and clearly explained the situation to boot. Nope, nope, nope.
I can't figure this out either.
The therapist identified himself as a behavior therapist at a group home and explained it was a toy truck. If the therapist was shot due to LE disbelieving that, I'm not sure what the answer is. It can't be OK to shoot compliant unarmed health professionals accompanying patients on the street.

Last edited:
My guess... and it is just that but a guess. We don't have all the information.

We are going to hear alot more cases like this. Officers are being shot. Officers are also receiving less training. Those two things together mean we have jumpy scared cops that aren't as well trained as they probably should be. So they are much faster to shoot then they should be.

Based on what information I have so far it sounds like someone paniced. Then once someone did and a shot went out everyone else responsed in kind and the guy was restrained and cuffed before anyone stepped out of the bubble of adrenaline and fear to realize that the guy was unarmed and complying and everything was ok and now he needs medical attention.

My guess... and it is just that but a guess. We don't have all the information.

We are going to hear alot more cases like this. Officers are being shot. Officers are also receiving less training. Those two things together mean we have jumpy scared cops that aren't as well trained as they probably should be. So they are much faster to shoot then they should be.

Based on what information I have so far it sounds like someone paniced. Then once someone did and a shot went out everyone else responsed in kind and the guy was restrained and cuffed before anyone stepped out of the bubble of adrenaline and fear to realize that the guy was unarmed and complying and everything was ok and now he needs medical attention.

Oh, I absolutely believe this man was cuffed simply because they shot him. Neither action is to be undertaken lightly, ever.

Jumping to judgement is the main reason our country is in the state we're currently in. I live in South Florida & have learned to wait for all the info to be released, before jumping to conclusions. There is almost always more to the story. The shootings of totally innocent people anger me too, but I'll wait to get upset, until the investigation is complete. You'd think that's one lesson we as a nation would have learned by now.

Do you think we should react the same way to rape allegations? When I was in school, I was taught to by default believe someone who said they were raped. Or while a child says he or she is being abused.

I'm just waiting to find out exactly what to get upset about, because guaranteed - no matter how much more to the story there is - this is a story worthy of getting upset about.

Because no matter which way you look at it, the cop was way, way out of line. Either he shot at a disabled man, who - regardless of how much his toy car might have resembled a gun, was neither looking at him or pointing the toy at him - and missed and hit a bystander instead. Whom he then cuffed. Or he inexplicably shot at the empty-handed man lying on the ground and actually hit his target. His motives (racist, classist, panicky, ignorant or otherwise) are almost secondary to the amazing lack of professionalism and sheer incompetence on display in that video.

I want to see this cop charged with assault, all other officers involved disciplined (for failing to provide first aid to the victim), and a top down review of the culture of the department, as well as training for all LE personnel on how to better handle mentally ill and intellectually disabled people.

The articles I have read stated that the cop was upset and didn't know why he shot the man. Of course we don't know all the facts, but right now it doesn't sound like racism or aggressive behavior. It sounds like the cop accidentally pulled the trigger when he didn't mean to.

I also agree with the article that they guy was unarmed. I hate it when people use unarmed when the criminal was trying to go for the officers gun or using his fist to hit a cop, but that is another thread.

Ok, so can I go out and shoot someone when I'm upset and use that defense? "Oh sorry. My bad. I was so upset, and my gun just went off."

I'll gladly jump on tje jusging bandwagon. This cops actions are completely unacceptable and racist.

?? We don't even know which subject was actually the intended target of the bullet. If I had to guess, they were aiming for the person not complying with instructions and holding something in his hands. They were dispatched supposedly with instructions of subjects carrying a gun.

I think one of the big reasons for little information being released officially is they're trying to gauge the firestorm if they say the bullet was intended for a disabled individual will be worse than if they claim a completely accidental discharge of a weapon. Purely my guess based on some offline discussion I've been involved in -- including some members of LE.

I watched the video and read the article, too. Those claiming race and the cop is racist, was there mention of the officers (shooters) race? If the officer was also of color, does that still make him/her a racist?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter