• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unadvertised Disney Experiences Query...

WithFaith50

Mouseketeer
Hello,

Is there a list of unadvertised fun things to do at Disney (especially during December)? For instance, can you still send pictures to Coral Reef and be presented with a custom menu during your meal? Or, have a prearranged message shown by a diver (still at Coral Reef…which is then given to you as a keepsake)? Does BWV Bell Services still give out small plastic Disney keepsakes (Mickey, Minnie, etc.). That’s all I can think of off the top of head that was being done in the early 2000’s. I’ve heard rumors that Coral Reef no longer does what I mentioned (above), but surely there are other *magical* things going on…!

Thanks…

No on both. You may get a special button to celebrate a special occasion but that is hit and miss even when you have the occasion added to your reservation.

There is still the possibility but IMO, Disney doesn't do these types of things as much as they used to. I guess I can't blame them, they are making record profits so the extras in a business sense costs them money with little if any benefit to the corporation.

In 2012, 49 million people passed through the gates to the 4 theme parks at WDW, making magic for their guests must be tough.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm not even sure it was the cost of the little thing, rather than with the age of the internet the little random magic things were no longer "magic" or "random" they became expected and anticipated, with complaints if they happened to not have any little plastic toys that day, and Disney didn't want to deal with it.

I used to work in customer service, and I was surprised and saddened when on a recent non-Disney cruise I saw the long line for guest services filled with people complaining about the silliest little things, wanting some sort of compensation. The new sense of entitlement has ruined the little random magic things.

Plus the ever growing number of Disney resorts and guests have made some of the little things just impossible to do.

Aw...That’s too bad. Our trips in the early 2000’s where filled with magic. From the things I mention in my original post to Character’s stopping on their way to break to spend a few seconds with my DS; the Fairy Godmother singling my family out for repeated interaction; receiving special Mickey Ear hats during the year of a million dreams; kisses for DS from Jasmine, being handed fast passes, etc. I can not even imagine why someone would complain about not having an extra magical interaction :confused3

We even got magic NOT under Disney control. My DS got fawned over by the entire Jacksonville Jaguar cheerleader squad outside of the ESPN Club. I got to meet my favorite Battlestar Galactica star, Edward James Olmos at BWV while we were both checking out. My DH even got to meet one of his favorite Dallas Cowboys players (Darren Woodson) at AKV.

So my family has had more than its share of Disney magic, lol. I just was looking for “special” things to do for two of my DGD’s who will be with us on our upcoming December trip AND to rekindle the magic for my DS who is now a “tween” :scared: .

Anyway…thanks to HookdonWDW we will have a DVC Christmas Tree for part of our trip! pixiedust:

Not terribly exciting, but 2 weeks ago my son was given a "license" on the Tomorrowland Speedway. We must have ridden it about 10 times and only ever received one license.

Anyone can get a celebration button, either at the resort at checkin or at any of the parks. You can celebrate just about anything.

I happened to be in the Magic Kingdom for my birthday 2 years ago and had the good fortune to have the barbershop quartet serenade me. That's the type of pixie dust that really doesn't cost Disney much, if anything, but makes some magic.

This past birthday I received birthday cards at both Be Our Guest and at Tusker House, along with "the Grey Stuff" and a birthday cupcake. I did not receive any other "freebies" during our stay, but that's okay. Everyone I saw wished me a happy birthday on the days I wore my button and that was enough to make this "monumental" birthday a plus.

My idea of magic is a CM with a smile who can help me with my issue. Or at least tell me they are sorry it can't be done. I'll smile back at them and share the magic.

It's not magic if you are expecting it.

My idea of magic is a CM with a smile who can help me with my issue. Or at least tell me they are sorry it can't be done. I'll smile back at them and share the magic.

:thumbsup2

You can go to Animal Kingdom, Boma at 2pm and decorate a cookie for free. My kids think that's magical.

Au contraire…It IS magic for me when I arrange something for my loved ones and see that look of wonder and happiness on their faces…magic for me AND them…pixiedust:

But I understand…what’s magic for one is not necessarily magic for all…:goodvibes

Not terribly exciting, but 2 weeks ago my son was given a "license" on the Tomorrowland Speedway. We must have ridden it about 10 times and only ever received one license.

It makes a nice keepsake! I remember my DS getting some sort of "license" on the boats going from BWV to EPCOT (or Hollywood Studios) and from sitting in front on the monorail. He also got an honorary badge from security...MK, I think...:)

You can go to Animal Kingdom, Boma at 2pm and decorate a cookie for free. My kids think that's magical.

Thanks...That's a great suggestion. We will be staying AKV - Jambo 12/8 - 12/15 so I'm sure we can work that into our schedule...:thumbsup2

Anyone can get a celebration button, either at the resort at checkin or at any of the parks. You can celebrate just about anything.

I happened to be in the Magic Kingdom for my birthday 2 years ago and had the good fortune to have the barbershop quartet serenade me. That's the type of pixie dust that really doesn't cost Disney much, if anything, but makes some magic.

This past birthday I received birthday cards at both Be Our Guest and at Tusker House, along with "the Grey Stuff" and a birthday cupcake. I did not receive any other "freebies" during our stay, but that's okay. Everyone I saw wished me a happy birthday on the days I wore my button and that was enough to make this "monumental" birthday a plus.

That's great! Both of my DGD's will be celebrating birthdays while we are there...:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter