Umbrella? Does it help?

We have been bringing both umbrellas and ponchos for years. When umbrella isn't enough, then ponchos get pulled out. Never had an issue with poking someone or being poked with an umbrella, even during crowded times. Good, umbrella is in Florida :yoda:!

I use a small, compact, lightweight one with uv protection for sun and rain and just clip it to my shorts with a carabiner clip. When it's wet i don't mind clipping it to the side of my pants/shorts

We brought umbrellas and raincoats this week that we stuffed into our bags. Only used the raincoats once and otherwise the umbrellas were enough. I just kept mine out after the rain to dry before putting back in bag. Umbrellas now serve 3 purposes -1) help in rain 2) provide shade from the hot sun and 3) keep people somewhat away from you. We used them every day but not always for rain

We had compact umbrellas when at Disney last year and they worked great. There tends to be a lot of sudden/spotty showers and weather forecasts beyond a few days aren't very accurate, so it's not like you know a week ahead what to bring with you. We would always bring them just like we would sun tan lotion when traveling anywhere hot. Mostly, they are good for running for cover like a shop or to get to the covered waiting area for a ride. A bit of self-awareness seems like common sense but we never had any issues getting poked or poking those around us with our umbrellas.

Once the rain stops, we just shake off the excess water from the umbrella and fold it up for storage. Things dry quickly in Florida since it is generally quite warm.

Last edited:
I use a small, compact, lightweight one with uv protection for sun and rain and just clip it to my shorts with a carabiner clip. When it's wet i don't mind clipping it to the side of my pants/shorts
What one do you use? I have a small umbrella but it does not have UV protection. There are so many out there!

Because I try to limit sun exposure (issues with pre-cancerous skin cells), I always take a compact umbrella to the parks for those times when I'm going to be in the sun for more than 5 minutes. Even when it's crowded, I haven't had any issues and I just try to be mindful of where it is in relation to those around me. I definitely think I'm more likely to poke someone in my family than a stranger.

Using it for rain, you run into the same issue as with your jackets...having something wet that you need to store after the rain passes. I keep a large ziploc bag for that exact purpose. Also I like keeping the rain off of my face which is hard to do in a jacket, especially while you are walking.
I was also thinking about taking an umbrella for the same reason. How have other guests been when you use it? Do they seem understanding?

Umbrellas are cumbersome for us to be carrying around. One trip, it was a full rainy day, bought disney ponchos and ventured to Epcot. It worked for us and they told us if the poncho broke, we could change it at any of the stores that sells them.

We’re heading down tomorrow for the week and see rain in forecast ... and looking at hourly forecast might not just be the 5 or 10 minute shower. We’ve hit rain many times at wdw and usually put on our rain jackets and power through but wondering if anyone has used umbrellas? I’ve always avoided them due to hazards with crowds. But in recent times, when crowds are lighter, are more using the small compact umbrellas? Do u find them helpful or are they more trouble than they’re worth? Thanks!
We used to nevee take them as I didn't want to lug them around etc., but have been using them almost exclusively the last cpl years. We now much prefee using an umbrella.

We travel light in the parks. Regardless of the season and in our experiences we do not focus on rain. If it does we just adjust accordingly. We seek overhead cover in a shop or ride area. If it continues and we want to move on, we break out or purchase a poncho. The key item for us is keeping our shoes dry and a poncho or umbrella does not help

I've always preferred rain jackets. I bring a combo of plastic parkas (if rain odds are 20-45%, they fit in a pocket, best for short term use, can be good in some downpours). The jackets I get are the kind that fold down into one pocket of the jacket. (when rain odds are above 50%) I fit them into a small backpack. I find them much easier to carry than an umbrella, including while it is raining. Disney Springs' Uniqlo carries a version called a packable parka, but a number of companies make similar ones. Some are more waterproof than others. I like they air dry very quickly. When buying them, buy them on the larger side, to get more room and extra length. The pockets can also come in handy in the parks. I like they serve double purpose as a windbreaker/layer. Even though they are thin, worn with layers, they make a great addition for keeping warm. They also pack i luggage very well, because they can be tucked almost anywhere.

Sometimes we bring a combo of jackets and ponchos to the parks if we're running low on ponchos, but truth be told, I've hardly used any ponchos in years. Often, if there's a short down burst, we wait it out in a gift shop or just deal with getting a little wet.

Heading down right now. I packed a portable raincoat for myself to put into my backpack. For $20 on amazon, it’ll work for those short and heavy Florida burts of rain, and I can also use it for those fun times with the dog. I feel like an umbrella would be more cumbersome to carry, especially when I tend to use those little Loungefly backpacks while in the parks. For the rest of the family, they can carry cheap reusable ponchos I got from amazon last year.

So.... any tips for keeping feet/shoes dry? Do you bring extra shoes/socks in your backpack every day? I carry only a smallish drawstring day bag into the parks so.. not much room? Suggestions?

So.... any tips for keeping feet/shoes dry? Do you bring extra shoes/socks in your backpack every day? I carry only a smallish drawstring day bag into the parks so.. not much room? Suggestions?
there's obviously no way to keep your shoes dry if it's raining but many people do pack an extra pair of socks or just go in flip flops/sandals

We use a combination of umbrellas and ponchos. I'm short and have never even come close to hitting anyone with my umbrella. I have a couple of the little ones that sort of fold up and have their own carrying bags. sort of like this https://www.amazon.com/Umbrella-Win...words=small+umbrella&qid=1600013450&sr=8-9The carrying bags have clips on them and I just clip them to belt loops if I have them or throw a belt around my waist if not and clip them to that. That way I don't have to carry a bag. They are o.k. with light rain or even a quick heavier rain but for the heavy downpours with wind they are pretty useless. We also always have a disposable poncho in our pockets even on those days when rain isn't predicted because, well it's Florida. Those are fine again for light rain. I put those in zip lock backs and smash all the air out I can and they fit pretty well in a back pocket. If I know it's going to rain all day, I have a long clear plasticish rain coat (kind of like the ones the CMs wear) that I will wear since it has a hood and pockets and covers me completely. I can take it off and shake most of the water out if it stops raining for awhile and sort of fold it long wise and tuck it in either a belt loop or belt. The only bad thing is they are pretty cheap and don't usually last more than one trip but do last the entire trip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CM7RQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 We don't carry bags.

I can't wear close toes shoes, they hurt my toes really bad so I wear sandals and flip flops just about year round. Clarks https://www.beallsflorida.com/onlin...OUJOyri5hVjARGlL2P1xqOFIWlS5yQCgaAuALEALw_wcB and Skeetchers https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Performance-Womens-Walk-Solstice/dp/B00M0FBFNOmake a really good sturdy flip flop with support. I also wear Teava like sandals which have good support. https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Origin...=1&keywords=Earth+Shoes&qid=1600014469&sr=8-5 The only closed toe shoe I wear is a canvas slip on by Skeetchers that can be worn without socks. https://www.skechers.com/women/shoes/relaxed-fit-empire-dlux---sweet-pearl/149272.html They dry pretty fast. I usually take at least 3 pairs of flip flops/sandals and the slip ons for every trip. If the sandals or flip flops get wet it's no problem.

DH and I wear Keens sandals. They're comfortable for us for walking miles. My kids will wear sandals if it's likely to be a rainy day, otherwise their sneakers. There are other waterproof shoes you can get or other comfortable sandals that deal with the rain well.

I try to stick with water tolerant sandals on rainy days. I always bring at least two pairs of good walking shoes to WDW and alternate wearing them every other day. Often one pair is sneakers, but if it looks like tons of rain for the whole trip, I might run out and buy a second pair of water tolerant shoes. Just not two of the same style - to avoid blisters/sore feet. A brand I like is ecco, but they are $$.

Sometimes, if it looks like just a short burst of rain will happen, I wear sneakers, but carry super cheap/thin flip flops in a plastic bag (in the backpack) just to wear during the downburst. That is the only time I carry two pairs of shoes. I can usually fit them in my small backpack, but will sometimes carry a shopping bag for them, or for the group we end up with one extra small backpack/drawstring bag.

Another potential option, if you really don't want to carry extra shoes, is to bring plastic bags that fit over your feet/under your socks. It won't keep your shoes dry, and your feet might sweat, but it works for short periods of time, especially if it is on the chilly side. Sometimes just an extra pair of socks helps too.

If all else fails, for some reason stuffing your sneakers full of newspaper helps to dry them. There's also multiple places to buy sneakers at WDW in Disney Springs, and the nearby outlet malls. I once found a great pair on sale at Under Armor, and - BONUS- was able to use my 10% AP discount! I ended up getting a really great deal.

Myhybby brought an umbrella last trip. We got got in a mini monsoon and the wind turned it inside out. Was great for rain. He hates ponchos.

Each time I've brought an umbrella this happened to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter