Um...Super Awkward Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtemisPhoenix

Mouseketeer
So I've been reading these boards for the last couple weeks and enjoying the trip reports and all the pictures. Our family is so excited about going on our very first cruise, and I've been reassign everythingI can to get a picture of what to expect. And then this morning as I was looking at some pictures on a trip report...everyone I've seen pictures of on these reports is...white. So then I started looking at pictures that showed larger gatherings on the ships. Yep. Definitely white. In fact, the only people I've seen in the pictures that aren't white are the CM.

Now, I'm white. But my DH is black. Our children are biracial. And we've experienced a few...lets just call them interesting experiences...especially since we moved to the South and more in the last few months. And it never occurred to me to even wonder what our experience might be on a pixie-dust filled Disney cruise...but then there's all these pictures.

So, while I hate to ask such a charged question here, I do want to be prepared, especially for our kids' sakes. Are we likely to encounter any hostility from other cruisers? I'm sure it won't be an issue from CM (right?!), but how many people of color vacation on these lines? How many interracial families? Do I need to prepare my husband to be mistaken for a CM having some downtime?

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

So I've been reading these boards for the last couple weeks and enjoying the trip reports and all the pictures. Our family is so excited about going on our very first cruise, and I've been reassign everythingI can to get a picture of what to expect. And then this morning as I was looking at some pictures on a trip report...everyone I've seen pictures of on these reports is...white. So then I started looking at pictures that showed larger gatherings on the ships. Yep. Definitely white. In fact, the only people I've seen in the pictures that aren't white are the CM.

Now, I'm white. But my DH is black. Our children are biracial. And we've experienced a few...lets just call them interesting experiences...especially since we moved to the South and more in the last few months. And it never occurred to me to even wonder what our experience might be on a pixie-dust filled Disney cruise...but then there's all these pictures.

So, while I hate to ask such a charged question here, I do want to be prepared, especially for our kids' sakes. Are we likely to encounter any hostility from other cruisers? I'm sure it won't be an issue from CM (right?!), but how many people of color vacation on these lines? How many interracial families? Do I need to prepare my husband to be mistaken for a CM having some downtime?

Sorry if this sounds stupid.
I wish I could go be you some stats but after my 4 DCL cruises I couldn't tell you the number of people of color because I don't notice that.

Unless your husband is wearing a name tag he won't get mistaken for a CM.

You are making an issue of a non-issue, plain and simple.

I have definitely seen some trip report pictures with POC in them.

I do not think you will encounter hostility, either on board or in port. Unless your husband wears a CM uniform he won't be mistaken for a CM. CMs do not get downtime in passenger areas. If you do encounter hostility, it will be 100% a byproduct of an individual person on board, not something systemic, and that regrettably can happen anywhere.

Wow. I'm just so sorry you have to worry about this at all! I live in Texas in a part that's not yet too developed so I can tell you these old men that sit around in the coffee shop before their workday begins are definitely racist and so I am aware it still exists. However, I have also noticed the only ones that tend to still be that way are those that are older and haven't gone anywhere but their own tiny town. These types definitely don't have the money to go on Disney vacations. I haven't come across any racism from other social classes around this area so although my help is limited, I sure hope it makes you feel a little more at ease. People that hate other races certainly wouldn't want to go somewhere that they could possibly be subjected to such horrific types of people (sarcasm).

[QUOTE="Club Disney Chandler, post: 57427438, member: 478299]

You are making an issue of a non-issue, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

It may be a non-issue for you, but it's a concern for her. Do you live her life?

OP, my first DCL is this December so I can't help alleviate your concerns, but if you read the thread regarding table mates on here, I think you will see that there is a big mixture of cultures on these ships.

I wish I could go be you some stats but after my 4 DCL cruises I couldn't tell you the number of people of color because I don't notice that.

Unless your husband is wearing a name tag he won't get mistaken for a CM.

It is absolutely not within your right to tell a POC this is a non-issue.

OP. While I do think the majority of cruises are white I sincerely hope you won't have any issues. There were people from several countries and POC on my cruise last April. If you have any trouble at all contact the nearest CM asap. They will handle it quickly and discreetly. I made friends with several CMs day one and they made everything better all week long. Every time I turned around they were there and making sure my girls and I were comfortable. :hugs: Have a wonderful happy cruise.

I can't say 100% since I'm white but my fiance and I often travel with our friend who is a POC and he loved his first DCL so much that we are going on another one with him in February! I will say in this situation if any guest says anything speak to a CM especially a ships officer and it will be handled immediately as Disney does not stand for it. We've met many different people from all over on our Disney cruises and none were ever mistaken for crew. The crew wear very specific Disney uniforms so I hope no one would approch a plain clothed man enjoying his time simply because of thr color of his skin. Sadly I know reality isn't always what it should be.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We have been on 8 DCLs.
We have seen POC on all our cruises.
My DW is Hispanic, she is dark skinned, and has never once felt out of place or disrespected by fellow cruisers.
If you were to encounter any issues, bring them up to the ships officers or front desk immediately and I am sure it will be taken care of.

Wow. I'm just so sorry you have to worry about this at all!

I agree. But, while I can't guarantee it, I don't think the OP will have any problems. Yes, the majority of cruisers will likely be white, but I have seen plenty of cruisers who are not. We've been seated at dinner with guests of other races and if they had encountered any racism on the ship, they didn't share it. They just seemed to be enjoying the cruise as much as we were.

I am white, but I can assure you that there have been many, many POC on every Disney cruise we have been on, and I personally have not witnessed any negative behaviors directed toward them. It seems to me that Disney cruisers, just as the folks that visit WDW, are an extremely diverse bunch. Hope this helps to ease your concerns. Enjoy your cruise!

Unfortunately, this is probably a question only another person of color can answer for you. I was on a sold-out spring break cruise and I think there were plenty of people of various ethnicities, but I can't give you any assurances, because I was too busy with my own vacation to bother noticing. Being white, it would be a non-issue to me, either way. I did meet passengers of other ethnicities, while there, but were they uncomfortable or in a minority that was different than their normal lives? I don't know. I would hope that most people on vacation aren't looking around and judging who should or shouldn't be there with them.

In any case, hopefully someone with more personal experience will answer your question. Of course, you want all your family members to be comfortable while on their cruise. It's a valid question, if uncomfortable to bring up.

I hope you do not worry too much about this. There are people of all shapes, sizes, colors, religions and orientations on a DCL cruise. Any negative experiences any one would encounter would be based on an individual's moral/ethical shortcomings vs. overall ship environment. Unfortunately, in this world, we still have this to worry about. I hope your mind will be eased by these responses and you will have a wonderful cruise!

It is absolutely not within your right to tell a POC this is a non-issue.

OP. While I do think the majority of cruises are white I sincerely hope you won't have any issues. There were people from several countries and POC on my cruise last April. If you have any trouble at all contact the nearest CM asap. They will handle it quickly and discreetly. I made friends with several CMs day one and they made everything better all week long. Every time I turned around they were there and making sure my girls and I were comfortable. :hugs: Have a wonderful happy cruise.
Thank you. I appreciate you saying that. I understand though...I would have thought the same thing myself a few years ago.

Thanks so much for the responses everyone. I'll keep looking through the pictures...I'm sure I'll see more diverse ones soon since you've all seen such a mix. I think my concern was a mix of what I was seeing and reading someone's post complaining about the other family at their table being "culturally different from them" and asking for "special food with a very strong smell". It was...interesting to read something like that here. But I'm very glad to hear that it is a rare occurrence and not likely to be an issue in any way. I appreciate the support and reassurances. :flower1:

ArtemisPhoenix, this is not a stupid question AT ALL. I'm so glad you had the courage to share it. I'm sure other people have the same question and haven't felt comfortable asking!

On our cruise, we saw people of all colors and races, speaking lots of different languages. That was a great part of the trip.

I also think that the fact that many of the staff is international is a big help too. Remember, it isn't just the room stewards and the dining room servers who are from all over the world, many of the CM's in charge of the activities were too. So people of all Nationalities will be standing up in front of the guests trying to get them excited and involved. Your children will see that too!

Have a great trip!

I also just asked a friend, who is a lady of color married to a man with pigment challenges, with lovely children. She LOVES cruises. There is no way she would feel so strongly the love if she'd encountered anyone who gave her attitude about her marriage or kids!

This was our group, we had people of several races and blended families. I didn't see or hear about any problems. Maybe finding a group on facebook for your sailing date will help. You and your family can get to know other families on the trip and make friends beforehand. WE had a great group that did pen-palling before the trip and had a meet and greet the first day. This will give you an instant support group :)

-----------------------------------
It may be a non-issue for you, but it's a concern for her. Do you live her life?

OP, my first DCL is this December so I can't help alleviate your concerns, but if you read the thread regarding table mates on here, I think you will see that there is a big mixture of cultures on these ships.

OP, I'm APA as is my DH. I have thought about these issues as well, and like @NewYorkcruiser, I'm from NYC. DH and I met in the south, though, and had our fair share of comments*. I am very comfortable in NYC (which is largely why we live here), and have never experienced anything at WDW despite noticing that the guests are considerably less diverse than what I'm used to. So, hoping and expecting that it won't be any different from our WDW experiences. That said, there are ugly (personality) tourists everywhere, and I hope that all of the PPs who claim it's "not an issue" notice and see when it is, and speak up on others' behalf.

*comments - being told we speak "good English" and being told we are a "cute couple" because we "match" .... argghhh.

Our first cruise is in August, if it's earlier than yours, I'd be happy to PM you regarding our experience. I'm not a trip report type.

OP, have you ever been to any of the Disney parks? The parks are full of diverse crowds.

Every cruise is different and composed of different types of cruisers from all types of backgrounds. Relax, you will have something in common with several thousand others on board: everybody is on vacation and looking to have an enjoyable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter