UK Wanderings - PART 2 - Add a bit of Magic of The Large and Small Screen...

I did....I told you I'm back.....and given it's about 10 degrees outside....

That's Winter enough to me :lmao:

I assure you...
I'm known for kicking our quacking brethren...
Despite DBF's love for them...he's a pom....what can I say...except that he doesn't like the flying rats

DuckKickingtime.jpg

Welcome to Part 2 of my UK wanderings :teeth:

This time we will be featuring Southern England as well as I bring you Highclere Castle (as featured in the TV show Downton Abbey) and the new "Making of Harry Potter" attraction at the studios where it was made in Leavesden. As well as Warwick castle, and some more from the Ironbridge area.

As always I will begin with my journey as the experience was slightly different this time. The merger of Continental and United has now been completed but the 'perks' of different levels has been a moving target, as has the flight times (a bit) and the price.
I again flew to London Heathrow via San Francisco, but this time with a 2 hour layover in San Fran going over, and the 6 hours coming back. As a Silver member in Mileage Plus my perks had been cut unfortunately, including from booking to when I was checking in. What changed? Well some of you may be aware that the commoner travelling now pays $70 for the second checked bag of 23kg. This is the same now for a Silver member. When I booked I was assured there was a free bag. When I went to check in it was a $70 fee. The lady at Check in at Sydney airport waived the fee. However on the way home the surly British United staff did not. For whatever reason the American crews are so far superior to he British crews on United. The same goes for the ground staff.

What is the irony of this? After my final of the 4 flights I changed to Gold Status. This gives me 3x32kg free checked bags on any United flight and 2x23kg free bags on any Star Alliance carrier. Go figure...

The other difference with Silver is that you DO get free access to Economy Plus...but only at check in 24hrs in advance.
Due to a quirk of aircraft change I managed to score window seats on all flights...although I might have been better off on the wing for the first flight. :headache:
That's right....a baby from HELL. Can I please ask all parents that if your child is still one to scream for 5-6 hours non stop (no matter how much nursing and rocking you give it)....do not take them on a 14hour flight. And if you do (but I beg you please don't)...at LEAST ensure you have a bassinet row rather than the last row of economy plus which gives you minimal recline and little space on your lap once the person in front of you reclines.
I have said before that I have sympathy for babies on take off and landing as they have no idea why their ears are hurting. But this was mid flight it became hell. This flight wasn't particularly bumpy or noisy otherwise. The only reason toddlers and other youngsters would fret a bit was because of this screaming machine.

So having had no sleep and now a migraine I proceeded to SFO customs....where I picked the wrong queue (despite hurtling ahead of a flight from Japan and China)...and waited 50mins. (I think the best I'd have done if I'd not scored a slow queue was 35mins though...at best.) I took all of 2 mins at the counter as a frequent visitor... :lmao: and proceeded briskly to security. After rechecking my bags. Given the wait here too I had no option but to go through the Body scanner :rolleyes: as I simply didn't have time for a thorough pat down. As it was I was putting my belt back on once I got to the final queue....to board the aircraft.
That's right...the ONE flight that boards on time...the one I got to after boarding commenced :lmao: despite arriving in a sweaty heap.

It was at this point the result of the aircraft change became truly apparent. You see by changing the layout...window seats 'became' middle seats. This had been spotted when logging into my account so I shifted myself back into a window seat. But those not checking arrived unaware. In anycase...I had my window seat in Economy Plus...and there was noone in the middle :thumbsup2
I also found something else on this aircraft...

photo-54.jpg

I don't think I have to say anymore...other than that as good as this was. It will never cause me to choose an airline. I will choose on price, baggage allowance, route and timing. The guy in the aisle used it sometimes, but used his ipad the rest of the time. Me?? I wished and hoped for sleep. But after screaming baby and the rush for this flight...it was hopeless. It was also a very bumpy flight. So I did use the screen for a bit...including watching the final Harry Potter film (part 2 of book 7)...but especially for a film such as HP which is visually very dark. The colour rendering (as I've found with other airlines with in seat screens) is so poor the film is difficult to see.
The best part was an American crew. Quick and efficient as always.

Amusingly when I changed over to viewing the map of where we were...we flew straight over Birmingham (which is near where I was to be based).............before our holding pattern over a foggy Heathrow.
In the conversing between the captains and air traffic control it became clear the weather was a clear issue, exacerbating delays. However as I was arriving a bit after 5am...this wasn't a huge delay. I was happy for our captain to join the queue and hear reports back from other landing aircraft about the degrees of wind shear being experienced.
What was ours?
Although a bit rocky passing through the last few hundred metres of air...it was a perfect landing. As always with United in my experience.

Some of you might have been hearing about delays at Heathrow in Customs? Not for me. Took all of ten mins from queue to baggage carousel. Of course....we arrived at Terminal 1...bright and early...
Not even the armed police were in the baggage area.
I don't doubt terminals 4 and 5 have and will experience delays during the olympics though...

My priority tagged bags arrived at the carousel quickly...and I was straight through to my waiting hug :hug:

As always I was based in Shropshire. This did call for some long days then as I would be travelling south...and no matter when you travel (except about 3am) you WILL encounter traffic. In part due to the "finish by the Olympics" roadworks.

Having arrived on the Sunday. I booked Harry for Tuesday morning...at 10am. This attraction has timed ticketing whereby you choose a time to join the queue to enter. This is found at many places these days. Once you're "in" you can stay as long as you like. Only the first part is "guided". But you can't enter BEFORE your time.

The weather and traffic were terrible. We allowed for 2.5hours to arriving at the suggested 20-30mins before your time (as you have to pick your tickets up after bringing your confirmation) But we arrived bang at 10am. To say it was a stressful drive as I didn't know what to expect (given the warning of "NO GUARANTEED ENTRY IF LATE") is an understatement...but...here is what happened....and I would EXPECT it to be the case at least in the first few hours of the day.
If you are late it isn't a HUGE drama. It is in essence an "enter after" ticket. So especially given the weather the odds were lots would be late. And once I got to the guy who assisted me in retrieving my tickets. He said...just go in and join the queue when you're ready. So I joined the queue for the audio guide pick up (which I barely used. Honestly. Unless you REALLY like these things. Don't bother.) Before joining the 'main queue' about 10:30.

The advantage of arriving early is that BECAUSE it is "stay as long as you like" there is a cumulative effect. So if you want to move freely and photograph. The earlier the better.

So without further ado...I welcome you to "The Making of Harry Potter"

483.jpg

481.jpg

482.jpg

The BEST "experience" I've been to in a LONG time. I swear this thing is AWESOME. Even if you aren't a Harry Potter nut you should still appreciate this. At least if you appreaciate set design and the artistry of creating a set and props.
DBF isn't a Harry nut but he really enjoyed it...and took some AWESOME photos for me. Which is why this will have LOTS of photos. I've gone through and found it hard to reduce the quantity....
Yep..
You're getting that AWESOME word out of me. I can't more highly recommend this attraction.

This is the Entry area

153.jpg

147.jpg

149.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

152.jpg

The displays are in studios J and K. Isn't.that.funny....

You begin at the cupboard under the stairs. I really loved this.

157.jpg

154.jpg

156.jpg

158.jpg

You then see a small film about 'what you'll see' before being ushered before the doors to the Great Hall.

Now the thing I will say at this point is you have to appreciate how cool the sets are...and remember these ARE the real sets. They aren't all located the way they were when they filmed. So they would have been surrounded differently and differently lit. However, you ALSO have to appreciate how simple some are...how complex some are...and yet they produced such magic in filming.

Welcome to the Great Hall

We did photographing as we all wandered around listening to the 'guide' describing things. And then once the other doors were opened and we were released into the self guided rest of the displays and people walked out. We took some more with less people.

160.jpg

159.jpg

162.jpg

Come with me...

161.jpg

166.jpg

163.jpg

164.jpg

165.jpg

167.jpg

169.jpg

170.jpg

173.jpg

The other side of the door....

175.jpg

177.jpg

The Fireplace

172.jpg

178.jpg

More costumes about the room

179.jpg

180.jpg

181.jpg

182.jpg

Yep....I really was here...

184.jpg

The Front of the Great Hall

186.jpg

187.jpg

188.jpg

192.jpg

193.jpg

194.jpg

Some Final shots of the Great Hall before being ushered along...

195.jpg

197.jpg

The rest of the displays I think I'll let to speak for itself although I will label things as I go.

Enjoy!

First up was a working model of the hall. I really loved the small card models they had. Most of the rest were at the end.

198.jpg

198.jpg

198.jpg

201.jpg

A bit of Twilight Zone…

202.jpg

A slightly bigger roof prop…

212.jpg

213.jpg

216.jpg

217.jpg

The Yule Ball (Book 4)

204.jpg

205.jpg

207.jpg

210.jpg

209.jpg

Hermione, Victor, Harry and Cho

208.jpg

Some Chocolate…

219.jpg

220.jpg

221.jpg

Bubble….bubble…

222.jpg

223.jpg

231.jpg

A rather large gate…

226.jpg

229.jpg

Some perspective…

228.jpg

230.jpg

232.jpg

233.jpg

We couldn’t work out a great way to get a shot of this so it’s just from a distance…
Remember all the rules from Little Miss Pink??
This is some of them hanging on the walls

235.jpg

Welcome to the Gryffindor Dormitory

236.jpg

237.jpg

238.jpg

239.jpg

241.jpg

243.jpg

244.jpg

And the Common Room

258.jpg

260.jpg

262.jpg

263.jpg

264.jpg

257.jpg

265.jpg

Some more of the common room and some costumes…

266.jpg

268.jpg

269.jpg

270.jpg

A bit of invisibility anyone?

271.jpg

272.jpg

274.jpg

Another larger prop…or is it??

246.jpg

248.jpg

One of the many creatures…

249.jpg

A very special mirror….

250.jpg

Pick a wand any wand…

252.jpg

Some smaller props…

254.jpg

255.jpg

A much much much larger clock!!!

256.jpg

Tonks and Lupin

275.jpg

Sirius Black

277.jpg

The Troublesome Trio

278.jpg

279.jpg

281.jpg

Another roof!

284.jpg

The Triwizard Cup

285.jpg

286.jpg

Do we remember where this leads? We’ll go there in a bit…

283.jpg

7 minutes later.....is that "a bit" long enough???

I want to see the room with the Pensieve....and the phoenix.

More cool smaller props!

288.jpg

290.jpg

291.jpg

292.jpg

293.jpg

294.jpg

327.jpg

Some are kept in this caged area which is like a jumble sale of props…

287.jpg

295.jpg

296.jpg

297.jpg

The Goblet of Fire!

299.jpg

The Door to the Chamber of Secrets

329.jpg

Some of the many portraits…

325.jpg

Dumbledore’s office

332.jpg

333.jpg

334.jpg

335.jpg

The Sorting Hat

336.jpg

The Sword of Gryffindor

340.jpg

The Pensieve

339.jpg

338.jpg

337.jpg

Hagrid’s Hut

341.jpg

342.jpg

343.jpg

That very cool door…

345.jpg

And Another shot of the Chamber of Secrets door

346.jpg

The Ultimate Travelling chest

357.jpg

358.jpg

Some of the cool vehicles…

The Gringotts vault car

348.jpg

351.jpg

352.jpg

The “Hero” Hagrids bike

349.jpg

350.jpg

355.jpg

The Broom

353.jpg

356.jpg

Some handy equipment for a game of Quidditch

359.jpg

The Burrow!!

361.jpg

362.jpg

And now…

To …

The Ministry of Magic…

364.jpg

367.jpg

368.jpg

Some eeeevil characters…

366.jpg

Each of these tiles was hand painted after firing as well to ensure the correct look

369.jpg

376.jpg

374.jpg

370.jpg

Yep…..it’s HER!!!!

371.jpg

372.jpg

379.jpg

380.jpg

Really really cool....er.....AWESOME props until the pink powderpuff stuff.

That's a great collection of props there.

You have to spend some time at these cabinets…this is just COOL

381.jpg

382.jpg

The one….the ONLY…the MAURAUDERS MAP!!!!!

383.jpg

384.jpg

385.jpg

386.jpg

387.jpg

I’m sayin nuffin…

388.jpg

389.jpg

After perusing these cabinets you go outside. And see the REALLY big stuff…

Now there is a beverage station out here with the big stuff. So my first stop was for a Butterbeer.
There WAS Starbucks on offer too :rolleyes1
But Butterbeer was the order of the day…

Butterbeer.jpg

I was also most pleased to see the rain had ceased ::yes::

Now…
I saw a bus…

399.jpg

390.jpg

391.jpg

392.jpg

400.jpg

Tom Riddle’s Grave

393.jpg

394.jpg

395.jpg

Good old Privet Drive…

396.jpg

The Potter’s house…complete with blown out roof from when Harry’s parents were killed…

401.jpg

402.jpg

A Part of the Bridge blown up at the end of the last film

397.jpg

398.jpg

And something I didn’t really expect but was THRILLED to see…

THE CHESS PIECES

403.jpg

404.jpg

405.jpg

406.jpg

408.jpg

409.jpg

410.jpg

The last part is the creature shop, DIAGON ALLEY!!! plus a walk past some of the white card models...and finally the ULTIMATE model…

This part doesn’t take that long so if you’re at the glass cabinets and want to loop back around before going outside, then do. Because you can’t go back in there, and the next part doesn’t take too long. Depending how long you spend at the beverage station :lmao:

411.jpg

412.jpg

413.jpg

417.jpg

418.jpg

419.jpg

420.jpg

422.jpg

423.jpg

425.jpg

426.jpg

427.jpg

428.jpg

429.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter