UK-US travel, 2021/2022

Just seen that today (Tuesday) the US Senate has voted significantly (57-40 ... 8 democrats along with most republicans) to abolish the federal mask mandates.
It will almost certainly be vetoed by Biden, but it does show there is increasing pressure to lift restrictions.
Maybe masks and entry testing could be gone by mid-April.

if they do decide to do this when do you think we would decide This

if they do decide to do this when do you think we would decide This
AIUI England has now dropped all mask mandates and the UK has dropped all travel requirements, or at least will on Friday morning. The other nations are lagging a little on masks I think (Scotland at least).
I suspect masks may remain on international flights for some time as that could involve multiple countries rules. It could get quite complicated.

AIUI England has now dropped all mask mandates and the UK has dropped all travel requirements, or at least will on Friday morning. The other nations are lagging a little on masks I think (Scotland at least).
I suspect masks may remain on international flights for some time as that could involve multiple countries rules. It could get quite complicated.

so you don’t think pre tests might go around mid April

so you don’t think pre tests might go around mid April
Pre-flight tests for entry to the US? I'd say unlikely.
Biden/CDC want to keep the mask mandate for another month (till April 18 I think) while they assess stuff and come up with a plan (paraphrasing what I've read). So I doubt much will change before then.
But I've just seen the news that Virgin and BA are dropping their in-flight mask requirements, so my prediction in post #662 about 40 minutes ago has been trashed already
:rotfl2:
EDIT. Actually, it seems I was right about the complicated bit. The relaxation is for destinations that don't require masks, so flights to (eg) the US and Italy will still be masked. Presumably when the US drops it's mandate then that will change.
(If you are flying from the US to UK will you need to mask? 🤔 )

Last edited:

I can kind of see that they will drop the mask mandate on 18th, but I don't think they will drop entry testing just yet. Would be delighted to be wrong on that score though!

do u think testing to get in could end with the numbers right now?
I can kind of see that they will drop the mask mandate on 18th, but I don't think they will drop entry testing just yet. Would be delighted to be wrong on that score though!
I'm 50/50 on the entry testing. Logically they should drop it as BA.2 is already rampant and the few cases that would come in from abroad would be a drop in the ocean. But their logic may be different.

Masks is an interesting one since Philadelphia is actually reintroducing mask requirements because of increasing infections. So dropping the federal mandate just now might be difficult.

I guess they will release details of if the mask mandate will be extended around 28th April give or take, based on the last couple of extensions. That would give you a week or so to organise your tests. Just a thought.
Not that any of us know if tests are going to be included in the new mandate on May 3rd.

I guess they will release details of if the mask mandate will be extended around 28th April give or take, based on the last couple of extensions. That would give you a week or so to organise your tests. Just a thought.
Not that any of us know if tests are going to be included in the new mandate on May 3rd.
Do you think that’s enough time and to make sure we get a appointment

Yeah I wasn't sure if this included the testing mandate or not reading it. I wonder if there might still be a separate announcement about this so might ait til after Monday (the expected date) anyway just in case there's a second one and I don't think waiting over the weekend will make much of a difference

Do you think that’s enough time and to make sure we get a appointment
I've been reading on the Dibb of people waiting until a week or so before just in case.
I think it might be Lloyds pharmacy that are offering refundable tests and appointments, so some have booked with those just in case the rules change. Might be worth looking into.

We are due to fly 30th. I'm isolating myelf after tomorrow and working from home until we go to the airport on the 29th. My husband will be isolating after next Friday as he can't get off work although we are reducing all over contact etc and masking up.

I looked this morning for Randox at Manchester airport for the Friday and the testing dates are still wide open. I just keep monitoring etc to make sure we can get something but I can't imagine it being an issue.

I will wait until midweek I think if we don't get a further announcement Monday to say it's going then ill just book.

Hopefully if we do still have to test our isolating away from people will pay off.

Wow, USD down to 1.25, going to have to think about reducing my restaurants
I know. Rethinking whether we will book Halloween party when it’s announced. Thankfully everything else is pretty much paid for bar meals and Ubers to the parks now.

Wow, USD down to 1.25, going to have to think about reducing my restaurants

I know we fly Saturday testing permitted. Decided we won't bother with any outlets and really going to try and curtail our gift spending in the parks too. We are DVC second week but first week is package so we will have $200 gift card and the dining credit. So hopefully we can keep things down somewhat. Still it's not good!

I know we fly Saturday testing permitted. Decided we won't bother with any outlets and really going to try and curtail our gift spending in the parks too. We are DVC second week but first week is package so we will have $200 gift card and the dining credit. So hopefully we can keep things down somewhat. Still it's not good!
My other option is to change our DVC rooms for August and rent some points out as getting USD is good. Have a split stay at AKV/BLT/BWV and BLT was a 2Br lake view so could easily change that.

Have a great time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter