Ugh, why do hospitals do this??

They wait because someone more urgent than you could come along, and you'll get bumped. I know waiting is tough, but when it comes to healthcare, being lowest priority is a good thing, it means the doctor thinks you can survive longer without them.
Maybe & that’s what I used to think or like happened to my dad, you die of cancer before you are able to start chemo at all b/c it takes 4 weeks to get a diagnosis, setup for services & get a mediport placed at a busy facility all b/c of scheduling. May not have made a difference in his survival odds, but we never get to know.

I've been bumped twice for my non emergency surgery next week, which I totally understand since traumas take precedent, but it means I have to redo TONS of paperwork each time the date changes (FMLA, short term disability, work stuff, etc, etc). Until I'm actually THERE, I won't believe it might not get put off again. And, yes, I won't know the time until the day before.

Terri

I have the same problem every other year when I get my colonoscopy. I get the phone call the night before to tell me what time to be at the hospital. Most of the time I need to be at the hospital around 8am. 3 years ago my check-in time was 2pm! I couldn't eat food the day before, and I couldn't even drink water the day of. I was miserable! Plus, I had to scramble to find someone to pick DD up from school, since usually I would get home plenty early for DH to get her. I begged them the next time to have me come in in the morning and thankfully they did.
I get paranoid, too, waiting for the phone call. They say they'll call between 5 and 7pm. Well having a colonoscopy I am supposed to drink the icky stuff at 6pm. I'm always afraid I'm going to drink the stuff, and then they'll call to tell me they have to change the date of my procedure. Not only did I starve myself, but I had to gag that crap down!

Our plan was for DH to get fixed, but an unplanned twin pregnancy, with a necessary c/s, spoiled those plans. Four pregnancies, five kids, and DH didn't even have to go under the knife, because my OB convinced me it would be easy for her to fix me during the c/s. I'm still mad.

Oh gosh! We had friends, had is the key work, they are now divorced. She had a c/s with their second and she made him get the big V.

It isn't just the OB, my nephew had to have surgery a couple years ago and it was the same thing. It is a pretty small hospital.

See, I'm actually angry because the nurses and doctors tried to talk me out of it. "Are you sure?" "It's permanent, you know, no going back." "Why doesn't your husband have the surgery." "You're so young!"

I had to watch a video from 1987 that, after telling me how babies are made (thank God someone did, I've always wondered), told me about all the different types of BC and further encouraged my DH get fixed.

I told them the DAY I went in for my first appointment that we were done after our son was born and reminded them frequently. I have 5 kids. I have no desire to have to buy a 10 passenger van to get groceries.

You had to watch a video? When I was preggo with #2, my mother told em to get a tubal and 1. I wasn’t ready and 2. I was in the end of my 3rd trimester when they said I would need a c/s...um...they are not going to grant someone that wish that late in the game! So when I went in for #3, the first OB appt went like this: I would like a repeat c/s and a tubal, oh and can I color my hair? Really I would of loved another but I knew I was done...Old, high blood pressure and no money! So I went into labor with her and they asked me if I wanted a vbac with a tubal after. Um...no, you are in there, I want you to see those things by not looking thru a scope!

Update: Surgery went well. We are grabbing a quick bite to eat on the way home. Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes.

Glad it went well. I am 11 years and 358 days going strong (I think, her birthday is next Friday-3/2)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter