• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ugh! Swan/Dolphin

TeamSy

DIS Veteran
So our original hotel was BLT but we had to change our dates and it's not available for the new ones. Really bummed because we were looking forward to walking to Magic Kingdom. New plan is Swan or Dolphin. We've down Beach, Boardwalk, and Yacht Club, so it seemed like the next logical place to go. I know you don't get transportation to/from the airport. Any other major differences? Also...

1) If we want to book through Marriott are we not eligible to reserve dining in advance or get the dining plan if we choose?

2) Which do you prefer swan or dolphin? They seem pretty similar. We'd book either through Marriott, but one is technically a Sheraton and the other a Westin I think.

3) There are SO. MANY. ROOM. CHOICES. Typically when we book "run of house" it means you get best available at checkin. Is that the case with these rooms? Are rooms titled "no view" legit with no view, or is it like parking lot, etc?

So our original hotel was BLT but we had to change our dates and it's not available for the new ones. Really bummed because we were looking forward to walking to Magic Kingdom. New plan is Swan or Dolphin. We've down Beach, Boardwalk, and Yacht Club, so it seemed like the next logical place to go. I know you don't get transportation to/from the airport. Any other major differences? Also...

1) If we want to book through Marriott are we not eligible to reserve dining in advance or get the dining plan if we choose?

2) Which do you prefer swan or dolphin? They seem pretty similar. We'd book either through Marriott, but one is technically a Sheraton and the other a Westin I think.

3) There are SO. MANY. ROOM. CHOICES. Typically when we book "run of house" it means you get best available at checkin. Is that the case with these rooms? Are rooms titled "no view" legit with no view, or is it like parking lot, etc?

1. Anyone can book ADRs 180 days out. You are not able to get the Disney Dining Plan when staying at the Swan or Dolphin.

2. We prefer the Swan for the queen beds instead of doubles.

3. The "no view" rooms have windows, but you will NOT want to look out them.

We've done BC and YC several times but prefer the Swan. It is almost always quieter than BC or YC and the rooms and pool are very nice. We usually go for the larger alcove rooms if one is available. The one time we had a no view room it was a view of a rooftop and some maintenance areas. As long as we didn't look down, it was fine!

Which do you prefer swan or dolphin? They seem pretty similar. We'd book either through Marriott, but one is technically a Sheraton and the other a Westin I think.

We prefer the Swan to 2 reasons: 2 Queen beds vs 2 Doubles (at Dolphin) and the Swan is about 1/2 the size of the Dolphin.

Dave

Thanks all! We booked Swan (king room). I'm assuming I just go in an add the confirmation number to MDE? I don't know that I've ever had to add a reservation before.

Adding reservation number is no big deal- pulls it right up. And you'll read that you can only book one day at a time for dining at 180 out , but my recent experience was that at day 180 ALL of my reservation dates were available to book as if I was staying onsite at a Disney hotel.

Adding reservation number is no big deal- pulls it right up. And you'll read that you can only book one day at a time for dining at 180 out , but my recent experience was that at day 180 ALL of my reservation dates were available to book as if I was staying onsite at a Disney hotel.
Seems to happen for some and not for others- almost randomly. It’s as if no one at Disney or the Swan/Dolphin cares enough one way or the other to make sure it works (or doesn’t work) for everyone.

The Walt Disney World Dolphin (the Sheraton) recently got upgraded from a AAA 3-Diamond Rating to a 4-Diamond Rating. Much of that upgrade is likely due to the huge renovation of their public spaces.

The Walt Disney World Swan (the Westin) has earned a AAA 4-Diamond Rating for many years.

The differences between the two properties now comes down to preferences and the bed types that dansdad notes.

We've done BC and YC several times but prefer the Swan. It is almost always quieter than BC or YC and the rooms and pool are very nice. We usually go for the larger alcove rooms if one is available. The one time we had a no view room it was a view of a rooftop and some maintenance areas. As long as we didn't look down, it was fine!

This is likely what you saw from that "no view" room.

wdwdolphin-loadingdock-view.jpg

Source: https://goo.gl/maps/ETVvHtH8Fd92

Thanks all! We booked Swan (king room).

That's probably the best choice.

We really enjoy Swan Dolphin, we were there Jan 2018 and enjoyed it just as much as previous trips.

FYI there have been some people with issues linking their SwanDolphin reservation with Disney. If you run into it the problem many of the regulars in the thread below can office some advice. Plus it's just a great place to learn about S/D.

Walt Disney World SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORTS Information & Questions

Thanks all! I am having issues linking the reservation, but it says it can take up to 24 hours so I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

Give it a day or week, when does your ADR window open up? My understanding is everything is done by hand, goes from S/D to Disney and needs to be done manually. So a few business days is needed.

Are rooms titled "no view" legit with no view, or is it like parking lot, etc?

Can’t remember if it was swan or dolphin, but my cousins had a very standard room there and they described their view as being of a dumpster.

But that was in the morning. That night they somehow could actually see fireworks from somewhere. And they were very pleased with the room itself.

I've stayed at both, and I've had no problems and lots of problems linking my ressie. It really makes no sense.
One other thing - no magic band privileges - can't use to get in the room (get a keycard) and no charging privileges. Only things I don't care for.

I choose swan now mainly as I love to use the Peleton bikes and bed type (prefer 2 queens vs doubles as someone else said), and Dolphin has their own gym and you can't use Dolphin room keycard to get into Swan.

You get water each day - unless you forgo housekeeping to get add'l points or money. I think you may be able to ask for the water/coffee package. Not sure.

If your a Marriot Rewards member they may give you an upgrade. The last few times (I'm elite) I was upgraded unasked. I choose non view rooms, I've had overlook the valet/entrance, overlook rooftop, way back in the corner but despite this had a straight on view of HS fireworks, but the sides were lined with rooms with windows (tunnel like).

I'm usually not in the room so I don't care.

And lastly, I think Swan is a tad closer to walking to Epcot.

Kind of off topic, but I've always wondered why Swan and Dolphin were on Disney property but not Disney hotels and no Disney airport transportation. This has always seemed odd to me.

Kind of off topic, but I've always wondered why Swan and Dolphin were on Disney property but not Disney hotels and no Disney airport transportation. This has always seemed odd to me.

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2015/05/05/a-look-back-walt-disney-worlds-swan-and-dolphin-hotels/

Quick answer?
In 1985, Al Checchi, of the Marriott Corporation, who helped the Basses, the largest Disney shareholders from 1984-2001, acquire a 25% stake in the Walt Disney Company, was offered an unofficial role as an adviser to the Disney Company. Checchi suggested to Eisner and Frank Wells that they go into partnership with the Marriott Corporation by having them [Marriott] build and manage all of Disney’s new hotels and convention space. Up until this time, according to Checchi, “Disney was a mediocre hotel operator.” When Eisner and Wells met with Bill Marriott in Washington, D.C., Eisner was impressed with Marriott’s detailed knowledge of the Marriott Hotels and how functional they were, but thought they were uninspiring. Eisner didn’t think Marriott would ever embrace anything that was ambitious and theatrical.

Rather then retype what's been said on WikiPedia I'm going to paste it as it explains the reasoning very well.

In the late 1980s, Disney saw that they were losing business to area hotels that catered to conventions and large meetings, so Michael Eisner decided to build a convention-oriented hotel near Epcot. The Tishman Group, the contractor who was hired to build Epcot and who also had hotels in the nearby Disney hotel zone, claimed that the Epcot deal gave them exclusive rights to operate convention hotels on the Disney property, so Disney partnered with Tishman to develop the Swan and Dolphin complex.[3] Eisner had used Graves for other company projects and wanted to continue to build striking, unique buildings.[4]

Tishman and MetLife own the buildings, but has a 99-year lease on the land from Disney. Disney also receives a share of the hotel's revenues, and has a say in any design or architecture changes to the interior or exterior of the buildings.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World_Swan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter