Ugh..rash or bug bites. Help, fellow Canadians, before I have to resort to using my travel medical!

coastgirl

DIS Veteran
Who wants to spend a day of vacation calling the insurance company and going to a clinic with all the fuss that entails...not me! But I can't find a "matching malady" from Doctor Google, and if I can't figure it out soon, I may have to trudge off to a clinic.

I have itchy spots that keep showing up in different places. It started after an evening walk on the beach and playing in the waves...lots of itchy marks on my ankles, which I presumed were some kind of bug I'd run in to on the beach. That was 5 days ago, and those spots are getting old, itching only occasionally, though they look worse now. Then I had a bunch develop on my forearm, then the other forearm, and now my chin and a few more on my face. I seem to be getting more daily. I looked up all kinds of things--doesn't look like chicken pox, or scabies (thank GOD!) or even heat rash, because of the locations (not in the folds of skin like elbow or armpit, or areas that are covered). Heat rash seems the most obvious, as it's VERY hot here this week, but it doesn't fit the locations I see in the descriptions. I suppose it could be a coincidental combo of things--bug bites on my ankles and something else on my arms and face.

Anyone run in to this? If it was going away I wouldn't be worried, but it seems odd that it is popping up in other places. I figure someone must've run into this before?

No one else in the family has developed any of this, and I'm not particularly sensitive generally, so probably not soap or some other contact irritant.

Help!

Where are you? Salt water beach or freshwater? Pictures?

Have you tried Benadryl or any allergy meds orally? Hydrocortisone cream?

Hi Hon

I had sand flea bites last Jan after visiting a beach.(Cuba)
https://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Sand-Flea-Bites
I am wondering if they could be "no see ums"
Look here
Florida, unfortunately, is home not only for abundant mosquitoes, but also for minute biting insects known locally as "sandflies" (elsewhere as "no-see'ums” or "punkies"), although the more correct name is "biting midges." They are especially troublesome in coastal areas, where most of Florida's population lives.
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=-Bl....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.8.692....0.AeNYjC8p508
In all honesty it took a week and a half for all of my symptoms to subside once we got back to Canada. I am thinking that maybe the heat and humidity is making it harder for you to heal.
I would check with a doc though.
Baking soda cool baths,,, calamine lotion and allergy meds helped me.
Hugs to you
Mel

Last edited:
Thanks. Saltwater, don't have pics but will take myself to a pharmacist today. Started at the Space Coast, continues here on Gulf Coast. Definitely some benedryl in my future, as I'm still having trouble sleeping because of the itch.

Good info, and nice to know I'm not the only one! I did check the bed and don't see anything--and dh is unscathed. But I've always been sensitive to bug bites, moreso than anyone in the family. From the pics, looks more like sand fleas than sea lice--larger more distinct "bites" rather than smaller, widespread rashiness.

Did a bit more thinking and a bit more googling last night. My new working theory is deet...the places it is correspond pretty directly to where I spray bug spray. Wrists, ankles, and around my hairline. Started about 36 hrs after I sprayed the hell out of my ankles for an evening beach walk. (Though the next night I completely forgot, and woke up with what I thought were bites...so sand fleas and sea lice still sound possible. Ick.) Also apparently it's a bad idea to mix deet and sunscreen, which I've done. I use the same bug spray at home to no ill effect, but honestly never bother with sunscreen in Nova Scotia for my evening walks!

Thanks, really. I didn't want to go to a doc but wanted some reassurance and ideas--and this board comes through as always!

Gulf coast has red tide alge bloom right now. It seems to be affecting people swimming in the water. May have something in the news down there about it. If the beach your on has a life guard they may have some info.

It could be an allergy - as suggested possibly the algal blooms, from the bug spray or even from bites from a bug you're not used to. Also, don't discount heat rash. I frequently get them on my arms and chest. I would try ice and some kind of antihistamine and see if reduces after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter