Ugh I'm injured because a guy wouldn't move his backpack on the bus to let me sit :(

For all of these people telling the OP to be more assertive, how should a person do this safely? The OP asked. The bag holder refused. What next? Should the OP have then screamed in the face of the person who refused to move their bag? Should they have caused a ruckus which potentially held up the bus and forced the bus driver to call security?

I am happy for those people who live in safe worlds where you can grab other people's belongings and shove them to the floor without repercussions. Not all of us live in that same world, and not all of us feel safe doing that. I live in a large enough city that I would never touch someone else's belongings, especially if they'd already refused to move them at a polite request.

And not all public transport is equal. You don't always know when you board what your options will be. I am a short woman. I can rarely reach the straps above, but I generally hold onto the poles or the backs of seats. That's still not always great, but sometimes it's the only choice you have.

OP - I am very sorry for what happened to you.
This happened at Disney. Not in a large city riddled with gangs.

For the people suggesting OP alert the bus driver I am literally confused how the mechanics of this would go down with a crowd of people pouring in behind her. Either she shouts to the bus driver over all the people or she physically goes to the front and then when the driver makes the announcement someone else would have taken the seat because she would be at the front and he would be moving it with others in front of him when the announcement comes on. I guess she could have shouted.

Idk it is lose/lose. I think the best thing to do would have maybe been to say loudly, firmly, and politely (as you were struggling) "I'm having a hard time holding on guys, can I get closer to the pole?" And I guarantee you someone would have either given you their seat or made way for you to get a better grasp. Or some strong macho type would have swooped to your aid with a hand to hold onto (of questionable help, but a nice gesture.) or, even more likely, someone would have shamed the guy with the bag hard. I think often its easier to say what you need and let people help than ask and expect someone to be polite if they either a) are a jerk or b) don't understand the normal rules of public transportation. You asked for the seat but didn't say you NEEDED it. Which I know you didn't think you would, but still.

I'm sorry this happened to you OP.

For all of these people telling the OP to be more assertive, how should a person do this safely? The OP asked. The bag holder refused. What next? Should the OP have then screamed in the face of the person who refused to move their bag? Should they have caused a ruckus which potentially held up the bus and forced the bus driver to call security?

I am happy for those people who live in safe worlds where you can grab other people's belongings and shove them to the floor without repercussions. Not all of us live in that same world, and not all of us feel safe doing that. I live in a large enough city that I would never touch someone else's belongings, especially if they'd already refused to move them at a polite request.

And not all public transport is equal. You don't always know when you board what your options will be. I am a short woman. I can rarely reach the straps above, but I generally hold onto the poles or the backs of seats. That's still not always great, but sometimes it's the only choice you have.

OP - I am very sorry for what happened to you.

Happiest place on earth +

Small bus full of vacationers in a confined & controlled environment, while surround by many people =

easy to get driver's attention to intercede if you feel you need assistance.

I keep seeing the word assertive, IMO it's more accurately being proactive to insure your own personal safety on a moving vehicle.:confused3 Yet, we all roll differently, to each their own.

OP it is unfortunate you were injured. If you do contact WDW and receive a reply, make sure to come back and let us know how it works out for you.

Happiest place on earth +

Small bus full of vacationers in a confined & controlled environment, while surround by many people =

easy to get driver's attention to intercede if you feel you need assistance.

I keep seeing the word assertive, IMO it's more accurately being proactive to insure your own personal safety on a moving vehicle.:confused3 Yet, we all roll differently, to each their own.

OP it is unfortunate you were injured. If you do contact WDW and receive a reply, make sure to come back and let us know how it works out for you.
No plans to contact Disney.

Sorry
to hear you dealt with a inconsiderate Clod OP, which resulted in an injury.
Hope you heal soon! Best of luck

I'm not sure why Disney would need to be contacted. Are they supposed to be accountable for all our behavior now?
Someone said to come back and update if I contact Disney and they reply. I was simply saying I don't plan to contact them
I too don't know why I would as it's not their fault and I would not expect them to do anything.

what a terrible experience to have. I too always get a rental car because being on a crowded bus is not my idea of a vacation.

This happened at Disney. Not in a large city riddled with gangs.

If a person values their backpack over the live human being in front of them who just asked them to move it, I don't think they'd be any more eager to value that same person taking their backpack and moving it in response to their refusal to do so.

So again, I'm asking - how should a person be assertive here without starting some kind of unwanted incident on a packed bus? The owner of the backpack refused to move it. They either feel entitled or superior to the person who asked, because otherwise who values a backpack over a person at an amusement park? So how does this go down without causing trouble? What should the standing person say to the backpack person to resolve this situation peacefully?

If a person values their backpack over the live human being in front of them who just asked them to move it, I don't think they'd be any more eager to value that same person taking their backpack and moving it in response to their refusal to do so.

So again, I'm asking - how should a person be assertive here without starting some kind of unwanted incident on a packed bus? The owner of the backpack refused to move it. They either feel entitled or superior to the person who asked, because otherwise who values a backpack over a person at an amusement park? So how does this go down without causing trouble? What should the standing person say to the backpack person to resolve this situation peacefully?

Look at them, say "Seriously?" and wait for a response. Odds are the person would probably move it. Call out bullies and selfish people, especially in public.

Since it's a reasonable request, repeat the request again, calmly and slowly. Just like you would ask a toddler if they want the green balloon or the red one.

They might get all huffy but that's not your problem. The second they get nasty, the bus driver will resolve THAT.

If you keep asking calmly again and again, the driver is going to notice that you are still struggling to find a place to be. Or the other patrons are going to chime in because we want to get to wherever the bus is taking us. I don't have the patience for someone to demand their backpack gets a seat when another passenger is asking for the seat, when I am HANGRY and I want to get to the restaurant for my ADR. "Your stupid backpack, it's causing the delay, I'm happy to carry it for you or put it on MY lap. Stop being difficult, I wanna go to Disney World!!!!!!" / cue end of Adult Temper Tantrum /

OP, I'd write disney, just tell them about the situation and ask in the future, what would be the best way to handle this.

I can understand you're in the back of a packed bus, no way to go ask bus driver for help. Perhaps disney buses should add to their "welcome, we are on our way to MK, ..............so everyone can have a seat please remove all bags , jackets , etc from adjacent seats?

I was once on a very crowded bus, that someone thought the bus stairwell was the perfect place to hold his double side by side stroller. I was making plans the whole trip, if in an accident , will those doors open, how can I move that thing, will the stroller leaning on the door make them open mid-trip..........The stroller was too short to be picked up by the mirror I guess, but there was no way I could have gotten to the bus driver to tell him.

No plans to contact Disney.

Everyone handles things their own way. Good luck in your recovery. Hope this doesn't sour you on visiting WDW in the future.

Disney does tend to be proactive when things of this sort are brought to their attention. Sending an email as easy as posting your experience here. Ultimate goal is reaching out to them may result in them being proactive to try & correct this from happening in the future to the next guest.

I'm not sure why Disney would need to be contacted. Are they supposed to be accountable for all our behavior now?

Nope, but the driver has a CMV/CDL with a passenger endorsement. By federal/statelaw he is responsible for the safety of all aboard, amongst his other duties.

Someone said to come back and update if I contact Disney and they reply. I was simply saying I don't plan to contact them
I too don't know why I would as it's not their fault and I would not expect them to do anything.

I disagree, do feel it's ultimately Disney's (even if a contractor, as their agent, handles the bus service) to make the experience safe for the passengers. This could easily include signage as to no bookbags/packages/strollers taking a seat from a passenger or even a simple PA announcement from the driver reminding the clueless among the rest of us who are just trying to get from here to there.

I think each person is more responsible for their safety than the bus driver. I don't think the bus driver should be expected to mediate any disagreements in addition to driving the bus. Good grief, I would no more put this as Disney's responsibility to deal with as I would someone stopping in the middle of the walkway in the parks. We are all trying to share space with thousands of other people. Stuff is bound to happen. We are each our own best advocate.

I like the suggestion of "Seriously?" I can tell you what I would have done. When he refused, I would have said, "well, your backpack doesn't need a seat, and I am going to sit down, in 5. ..4...3...2...1 and then I would have lowered my ginormous behind onto his pack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter