Uber vs Lyft

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
doing last minute prep and planning for our trip next week, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me the main differences between Uber and Lyft (besides the Minnie Van option) is the price comparable? is the service comparable? I live in a very small town that doesn't have any kind of service like this so I really don't know anything about them. We will mainly use Skyliner and buses but I'd like to know just in case we opt for using one of these services in certain circumstances

doing last minute prep and planning for our trip next week, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me the main differences between Uber and Lyft (besides the Minnie Van option) is the price comparable? is the service comparable? I live in a very small town that doesn't have any kind of service like this so I really don't know anything about them. We will mainly use Skyliner and buses but I'd like to know just in case we opt for using one of these services in certain circumstances
They are very similar. People will argue one is easier to get than the other, or one is cheaper, but it is limited data and confirmation bias. (I’m talking Disney. Some other places/cities have better Uber or Lyft).

What might be a good idea is to have both apps and check for a ride when you need it and see who comes up cheaper and who is closer. You can find both of those things out before you confirm the ride (we found it’s easy to get either most times except closing time at the parks can be a longer wait).

Familiarize yourself with the terms like xl and black etc.

Drop of at AK for ride share is very close to entrance. Drop of for MK is at ttc unless you use Minnie Van. Then it drops off and picks up where buses do- at the gates. We will usually use Uber xl for AK and Minnie Van for MK.

Realize that Minnie Vans are way more expensive than regular Lyft or Uber.

Drivers get to pick who they pick up. I’ve asked a couple of drivers and they say that they will pick someone who is waiting at the gate before they pick someone who books when they are way back at the Tree of Life (for example). But we had great luck last trip except closing time Minnie Van at MK.

Last edited:
Download both apps and see which one gives you the best deal. I always have problems with Uber being able to find my location, but never have trouble with Lyft; so I usually use Lyft.

I use both in a lot of places. In Orlando I mostly use Lyft. It's a couple bucks cheaper, in my experience. Plenty of drivers drive for both. You won't have a problem, it's easy.

I use Lyft exclusively because my Delta Skymiles account is linked and I earn miles using Lyft. Just something to consider if you fly Delta.

Given their relationship with Disney, Lyft has a driver waiting lot pretty close to the TTC. I tend to use Lyft when on property as availability seems slightly better but frankly most seem to drive for both so slicing the onion thin there.

None whatsoever for the user at Disney
99% of the drivers we get drive for both based on the hang tags
every once in a blue moon pricing will vary but that isn’t the norm
normally pricing is within a few cents of each other

is there a way to request a car seat in an uber/lyft? also does anyone know if the minnie van airport service returned? i know it was going to be coming back at some point but havent seen any updates.

I always just pull up both apps and go with whatever one is cheaper. Lyft is almost always cheaper - and I've had good luck googling for $5 off promo codes. This was probably a one off because we were heading back to the airport during the marathon on Sunday, but Lyft was literally less than half the cost of Uber at that time - we paid $28 and Uber was quoting $70+.

is there a way to request a car seat in an uber/lyft? also does anyone know if the minnie van airport service returned? i know it was going to be coming back at some point but havent seen any updates.
Uber has a separate level of service option which includes a car seat. There's an added fee and the service is limited and phased out so that only those who signed up to drive during it's offering are allowed to offer it. No new drivers can provide it and you may find it limited. There is only 1 guaranteed seat. I do not believe there is an standard regarding the seat offered.
Lyft has no car seat option at all, other than Minnie Van which is a Disney feature not a Lyft feature, technically. Disney just piggy backed on the Lyft infrastructure.
Minnie Van service is only offered to/from airport for Deluxe Club Level guests at last word

You can request a car seat with Uber. But you may not get the type of seat you're looking for or the straps will be in very poor condition/seats pretty beat up. I wouldn't use them to get to/from the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter