UBER! Use it! You'll love it!

Someone on a different board was saying that Uber drivers can't pick you up at the parks, due to them having to pay to enter, as they are not taxi's? Can someone clarify that, or tell of their experiences being picked up at the parks? My DD25 and I will be traveling without a rental car and staying at Bonnet Creek, so we are planning on using taxi's or Uber. Just want to know how it works exactly, getting picked up in the parks. I would assume we will have no problem getting picked up at Bonnet Creek, as it is not Disney property.

Someone on a different board was saying that Uber drivers can't pick you up at the parks, due to them having to pay to enter, as they are not taxi's? Can someone clarify that, or tell of their experiences being picked up at the parks? My DD25 and I will be traveling without a rental car and staying at Bonnet Creek, so we are planning on using taxi's or Uber. Just want to know how it works exactly, getting picked up in the parks. I would assume we will have no problem getting picked up at Bonnet Creek, as it is not Disney property.

Great question and exactly what I'd like to know too -- where DO they drop you off or pick you up at the parks?

I'm seriously considering cancelling my rental car and just using a combination of Disney buses and Uber. I'm waiting to see what others post before I decide. :-)

I would compare the cost of rides on the uber and lyft web sites to the mears fare estimator web site. For us uber and lyft were a lot less expensive. The Uber website says the cost per mile is a base fare of $1 plus .75 per mile plus .13 per minute.

As for pick up & drop off locations, we were dropped off at the GF for dinner and picked up again with no issues. Dropped off at the TTC for MK and picked up at the contemporary with no issues. Dropped off and picked up at BC for Epcot no issues. I'm not sure about the other parks or DTD but hopefully someone else can let us know.

OP here.

I started the thread awhile ago and have made a couple of trips since. I don't use Uber for the MK or even if we have a car drive there. Nothing gets you closer to the entrance of MK than Disney buses. All other parks are easy PU's and drop offs. AK is just so darn hot! Once you decide you want to leave, you can't get back to you air conditioned room fast enough.

I make all my trips to the waterparks using Uber. I've set the PU in my room and the driver has been waiting for me by the time I got out the front door. The same goes for the way out. I set the PU as we are packing to leave and the driver is usually waiting for us. We were there in April and we definitely were one of many in front of TL waiting for our drivers. It is less than $10 for the four of us to get from the Dolphin to TL. I haven't used Disney transportation to the water park in YEARS especially since they have been rerouting the buses through DD or Epcot.

I was also able to put my nephew in a car and I explained to the driver that, although he is 17, he'd only flown once before and the driver walked him right to curbside and helped him.

I have a split stay from Wilderness Lodge to Beach Club, can Uber be used with luggage?

I really need to pay more attention to options!

TIA

Agree that the surge pricing is very clear with Uber. When you enter your destination, you can select fare quote which will give you a small range of what you can expect your fare to be in (and its always within that range). If surge pricing is in effect, it will be shown in your fare quote and the fare they are quoting will be the fare with the surge in effect. If people are booking Uber without looking at the fare quote and then are shocked by the fare surge, that is their own problem for not understanding the app.

we used uber from poly @ approx. 8:30 pm last week to AKV. Fare was est $8 - $11, wound up being $11 lol no surprise. Driver told us we just missed start of typical surge pricing...where he's seen it jump to $80 for same fare:crazy2: (more than a cab). You really need to check the quote.

cost per mile is supposed to be the same, but since you don't tip with Uber, it can come out cheaper.
We tip a few bucks in cash. It's not required, but last thing I want is a low rating when trying to grab a driver at busy time/place. it's my understanding that only uber 'taxi' includes the 20% tip. Many metro areas are of the other types.

Yes. Do tip.

If there is a surge pricing the app will make you OK it twice so there is no mistake. The Uber driver I talked to in Orlando mentioned that there is usually surge pricing on weekend nights when the locals use it for clubbing or just out on the town. Much better than drinking and driving.

I did hit a huge surge price during rush hour in Manhattan. Between traffic and the surge the fare was big but it was better than trying to hail a cab in the rain, BY FAR!

We definitely plan on using uber on our upcoming trip. My friends use them all the time here in California.

Has anyone used Uber to get from LAX to Grand Californian? I read they are not allowed to do airport pickups, and a fellow wrote an article that he hops a shuttle to one of the car rental places and gets picked up there. But, that seems weird to me.

Can Uber pick up at a Disney hotel to drop at airport? I thought they weren't allowed to do airport?

We tip a few bucks in cash. It's not required, but last thing I want is a low rating when trying to grab a driver at busy time/place. it's my understanding that only uber 'taxi' includes the 20% tip. Many metro areas are of the other types.

You mean, the UBER drivers can rate their passengers?

yep, it helps the drivers to know they won't be wasting their time with a 'problem' customer since this can easily jeopardize their own rating as to being late picking up next fare. Not to be confused with somebody who has been outright banned for their behavior toward an uber driver.

Had discussion with our last driver who said he won't pick up any one at WDW that isn't ranked a five. His rationale is many drivers don't bother to rank customers unless they cause them grief (eating in the car, harassing the driver, etc.) and he prefers to avoid any hassle. no idea if other drivers feel the same way or not.

Just a FYI: In Orlando, UBER can take you TO the airport, but CANNOT pick up at MCO or even at the Hyatt on airport property.
We have used UBER in NYC as well. From LaGuardia to the Waldorf, we have paid as little as $17.01 and as much as $67 on other trips depending on the day and time.
Still better than a taxi or even a shuttle price IMO.

Yes, you can rate your driver and the driver can rate you as a fare. If the passenger is drunk, abusive, late getting to the car, they will get a low rating.

If the driver is nice, has clean car and provides good service, the passenger should provide a A perfect rating, we have to stay above a 4.7 to a 5!
Similarly, if the car was unclean, driver rude, or driving crazy, rate low....if they rate you low in return contact Uber dispute it and have the rating reversed.

Don't feel pressured to tip, Uber drivers MUST refuse a tip. Uber driver are told to refuse the tip as not necessary by Uber. Only if the passenger insist a second time they are allowed to accept the tip.

I always requested instead of a tip, would you leave a 5 star rating! Much better than a tip because if they drop below a 4.5 they have to get retraining, they will be locked from the AP until completing retrain and get their rating up again.

I think offering a tip is nice for those that go above a normal ride. I would wash my car, sweep, wipe all surfaces before going out. Also, I provided extra charger cables, bottled ice cold water, tic tac's etc. this help me keep a Five rating.
We can only do that by any tip money.
But, as I always insisted, Thank you for offering the tip, but I would appreciate a 5 Star rating instead.

Just a FYI: In Orlando, UBER can take you TO the airport, but CANNOT pick up at MCO or even at the Hyatt on airport property.
We have used UBER in NYC as well. From LaGuardia to the Waldorf, we have paid as little as $17.01 and as much as $67 on other trips depending on the day and time.
Still better than a taxi or even a shuttle price IMO.

Yes, be aware of hot spots and peak demand "Surge" driving the rates up. It's supply and demand, mostly during rush hours, holidays and events when fewer cars for higher demand of riders is out there.
You should see the fare on your AP at the time of reservation, watch for the surge spike rates.

I have heard of drivers on the way to an accepted fare cancel that fare and take a Surge fare instead. Mostly NYC, not that I know of a Disney.

Yes, you can rate your driver and the driver can rate you as a fare. If the passenger is drunk, abusive, late getting to the car, they will get a low rating.

If the driver is nice, has clean car and provides good service, the passenger should provide a A perfect rating, we have to stay above a 4.7 to a 5!
Similarly, if the car was unclean, driver rude, or driving crazy, rate low....if they rate you low in return contact Uber dispute it and have the rating reversed.

Don't feel pressured to tip, Uber drivers MUST refuse a tip. Uber driver are told to refuse the tip as not necessary by Uber. Only if the passenger insist a second time they are allowed to accept the tip.

I always requested instead of a tip, would you leave a 5 star rating! Much better than a tip because if they drop below a 4.5 they have to get retraining, they will be locked from the AP until completing retrain and get their rating up again.

I think offering a tip is nice for those that go above a normal ride. I would wash my car, sweep, wipe all surfaces before going out. Also, I provided extra charger cables, bottled ice cold water, tic tac's etc. this help me keep a Five rating.
We can only do that by any tip money.
But, as I always insisted, Thank you for offering the tip, but I would appreciate a 5 Star rating instead.

This is all very interesting. Thank you for the information. I suspect they'll be an occasion or 2 for us to try uber in the fall for the first time. I'm curious, as a rider, is there a way for us to see what a driver rated us? Do all drivers rate their passengers.

This is all very interesting. Thank you for the information. I suspect they'll be an occasion or 2 for us to try uber in the fall for the first time. I'm curious, as a rider, is there a way for us to see what a driver rated us? Do all drivers rate their passengers.

Yes you will see on your AP. Drivers will give 5 rating to passengers, unless an event happens. Drivers want all 5's passengers want all 5's. It has to be an extreme that there is a lower rating.

If you call for a ride you can place a pin on the ap where you are standing. If at an intersection of Main St and South St, there are four corners. Helps to see which corner or spot the pin is to appraoch the right way.
You will see where the car is as it travels to you, and an alert that it has arrived.
if you are being delayed by walking from the room to the ride, text to let them know to start the fare.

You and the driver can text to each other, your driver will likely only call if he doesn't see you. The Uber car will /should have a Uber Dress sign in the window, and you will see in the APP the type of car, your drivers picture, and the rating.
I've never used Uber at Disney as I always have a car, but would or wil use it if I need to ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter