Uber/Lyft

friendoffigment

DIS Veteran
with the exorbitant prices of rental cars we are thinking of using Uber/Lyft. We never used these companies. In general how much does it cost from MCO to WDW. What about getting from resort to parks. Just a ballpark figure. Will be staying at BWV. Is one company better then the other. How reliable are they iun picking up. TIA for all your help and advice

A site like ride.guru will give you fare estimates for Lyft, Uber and taxis.

Many of the drivers will drive for both Lyft & Uber, so in most cases it comes down to price.

In the Orlando market, especially in the WDW area, you won't find much difference in the pickup times or quality of rides between companies. The market is very saturated, which is good for riders.

Most drivers do drive for both companies simultaneously. The exception is those drivers who rent their vehicle through one of the companies; they are locked into one company.

You can get fare estimates either on RideGuru or from the company websites. Before you actually order your ride, you will see an actual fare quote on your app and that will be what you pay unless something unanticipated happens.

I recommend having both apps on everyone in your party's phones, because pricing and promotions vary between the two companies. With multiple Uber apps on several phones, you can switch around depending on who has a promotion they haven't used and save some money.

Outside of the Orlando market, you may see a significant difference in the companies depending on market. In most markets, Uber is much stronger than Lyft, but that's not true everywhere. Typically, tho, Uber has many more drivers and many more riders, so pickup times are usually quicker with Uber...outside Orlando.

It really was not as bad as I thought, we paid $50 with a tip from pop to airport with uber x. It was 25 for regular uber we just needed the van.
The prices change on the amount of people using the service ( surge)
You will get a discounts when you first sign up off the first few rides.

For transportation to & from MCO to any Disney resort, you can use Magical Express for free. We have used it many times & have had good experiences each time. It won't be available after this year, so I'd grab it while you can. As expensive as WDW is, I'll take anything they offer for free.

It really was not as bad as I thought, we paid $50 with a tip from pop to airport with uber x. It was 25 for regular uber we just needed the van.
The prices change on the amount of people using the service ( surge)
You will get a discounts when you first sign up off the first few rides.
Your ride was XL. "Regular Uber" is called UberX.

XL is the larger vehicle -- SUV or minivan.

Pre-Covid, I got more discounts and special offers through Lyft. I don't think I ever got one from Uber.

I haven't used either since the Pandemic started.

I'm seriously considering using uber/lyft for our trip in April. We will be there for 10 days and between a $400 rental car and $25 a day in parking fees I can uber a whole lot of places for $650. We are staying off-site at windsor hills and a quick look a ride guru the cost to and from the parts is about $15 each way and the cost to and from the airport is about $40. I would have to spend another $270 taking uber out to dinner each night just to break even with renting a car. I am going to keep checking prices but if they don't drop before our vacation I may cancel the rental and just uber around.

I'm seriously considering using uber/lyft for our trip in April. We will be there for 10 days and between a $400 rental car and $25 a day in parking fees I can uber a whole lot of places for $650. We are staying off-site at windsor hills and a quick look a ride guru the cost to and from the parts is about $15 each way and the cost to and from the airport is about $40. I would have to spend another $270 taking uber out to dinner each night just to break even with renting a car. I am going to keep checking prices but if they don't drop before our vacation I may cancel the rental and just uber around.
Just keep in mind that the current Covid restrictions are a maximum of 3 riders for X and 5 for XL, with nobody allowed in the front passenger seat.

You might also need XL for the airport trips with 10 days of luggage. When we go to the airport with just 3 people, we always order XL so we'll have sufficient space.

since i'm at swan i cannot catch the bus back to MCO. even if i did, checking out at 11 then the flight is 730 so thats a long wait. no cars are available from car care and cheapest close by is 200. im leaving next saturday to get back to the airport and just wondering if theres any way to estimate pricing or availability then, when presumably so many are trying to get to the airport as well.

since i'm at swan i cannot catch the bus back to MCO. even if i did, checking out at 11 then the flight is 730 so thats a long wait. no cars are available from car care and cheapest close by is 200. im leaving next saturday to get back to the airport and just wondering if theres any way to estimate pricing or availability then, when presumably so many are trying to get to the airport as well.
You can get a rough fare estimate on RideGuru. A more accurate estimate can be had from either company's website. And then finally, you'll get a very accurate fare estimate on the app right before you order your ride.

Also, ride requests TO MCO at busy times will be widely spread out throughout the WDW area...so you shouldn't have any surge pricing.

You also may want to hang out at the pool, eat lunch on the Boardwalk, etc and go to the airport several hours after checkout. Just check your bags and pick them up when you're ready to go to the airport.

ah i didnt realize coudl leave the bags at swan. gotta admit is probably the best deal without a rental car to explore with. so the ride shares come right to the front door of swan? i read with other hotels it maybe an issue

Just keep in mind that the current Covid restrictions are a maximum of 3 riders for X and 5 for XL, with nobody allowed in the front passenger seat.

You might also need XL for the airport trips with 10 days of luggage. When we go to the airport with just 3 people, we always order XL so we'll have sufficient space.
Any idea when passengers will be allowed up front again? There are four of us, and XL prices start to get close to car companies. Also, I imagine there are fewer of the larger vehicles so more potential for lack of Uber/Lyft availability when I need it.

Any idea when passengers will be allowed up front again? There are four of us, and XL prices start to get close to car companies. Also, I imagine there are fewer of the larger vehicles so more potential for lack of Uber/Lyft availability when I need it.
No idea about the front seat -- obviously that is Covid-dependent.

In the Orlando market, I don't think XL prices are hugely different. For example, on RideGuru a 20 mile X trip in Orlando priced out as $26; XL was only $38.

In Miami, also according to RideGuru: 18 mile X trip $25; XL was $51.

So the XL premium in Orlando is MUCH less than Miami.

Also keep in mind that if you have any luggage, strollers, etc, you're going to need XL anyway. Whenever DW, DD and I go to the airport, we always order XL just for the 3 of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter