U.S. Embassy issues Security Alert for NASSAU

We will be on the Fantasy in the fall and already planned to stay on the ship for the Nassau day. We have been there twice on two different cruises. Once we went to Atlantis and once Blue Lagoon. Both were fun days and I would return to either. However, I hated the ride to Atlantis and the return to the ship through the straw market, enough to make me say I’m not getting off the ship there again.

We will be on the Fantasy in the fall and already planned to stay on the ship for the Nassau day. We have been there twice on two different cruises. Once we went to Atlantis and once Blue Lagoon. Both were fun days and I would return to either. However, I hated the ride to Atlantis and the return to the ship through the straw market, enough to make me say I’m not getting off the ship there again.
Our last trip to Bahamas we didn’t get 10 feet off the gang plank before we were accosted by drug dealers and the trinket selling kids … I’d take staying over at the Disney Islands over a stop in Nassau or Freeport any time .. complete waste of time

I think Disney should just have all the three day cruises have a sea day instead of going to Nassau until that place gets things under control.

The sea days are more fun anyways.
A lot of repeat cruisers already do this. They just don't get off in Nassau. Plus cool thing about it is lower crowds! This last time I went we got off and shopped around for like an hour in the immediate secure area then got back on the ship and enjoyed the ship the rest of the day with lower crowds!

I wouldn’t mind skipping it certainly—we stay on ship that day. But for some reason first time disney cruisers all seem to think going onshore in nassau is a must no matter all the advice to stay on the ship. I think is a mix of things. For some folks it is their first time out of the country so they want to see new places and get a passport stamp. For others they may worry there will be nothing to do on the ship and they will be board (disney doesn’t do a great job of advertising its onboard activities). For still others, they picture all islands in the caribbean as unspoiled paradises (these are the ones who ask what is the best free beach they can walk to in Nassau).

I don’t know what would happen if disney skipped Nassau—but I have a feeling that ides of an extra port stop does help attract new cruisers, even if the reality if Nassau means a lot of them decide to stay in the ship on future cruises.

They are required by law to stop in a foreign port.

Every voyage on a ship that's not U.S. flagged, departing from and returning to a U.S. port must, according to maritime law, visit one foreign port of call.”

They are required by law to stop in a foreign port.

Every voyage on a ship that's not U.S. flagged, departing from and returning to a U.S. port must, according to maritime law, visit one foreign port of call.”
Wouldn’t CC count?

I wouldn’t mind skipping it certainly—we stay on ship that day. But for some reason first time disney cruisers all seem to think going onshore in nassau is a must no matter all the advice to stay on the ship. I think is a mix of things. For some folks it is their first time out of the country so they want to see new places and get a passport stamp. For others they may worry there will be nothing to do on the ship and they will be board (disney doesn’t do a great job of advertising its onboard activities). For still others, they picture all islands in the caribbean as unspoiled paradises (these are the ones who ask what is the best free beach they can walk to in Nassau).

I don’t know what would happen if disney skipped Nassau—but I have a feeling that ides of an extra port stop does help attract new cruisers, even if the reality if Nassau means a lot of them decide to stay in the ship on future cruises.
My perspective is different-I would never stay on a ship in port! We travel quite a bit (and not just cruises-we actually don't cruise that often) because we want to experience different places and cultures. This year will be my 5th time in Nassau and we will be getting off the ship because you can always find something new to experience! Everyone has their own comfort level but I'm not worried about a Level 2 in the least. Last year alone I visited the Maldives (Level 2) and Jamaica (Level 3). I realize a lot of people cruise Disney because they want a Disney vacation. We don't view it that way though. The Disney aspects are nice for the children when cruising but if we are in port we are off the ship pretty much the entire time.

My perspective is different-I would never stay on a ship in port! We travel quite a bit (and not just cruises-we actually don't cruise that often) because we want to experience different places and cultures. This year will be my 5th time in Nassau and we will be getting off the ship because you can always find something new to experience! Everyone has their own comfort level but I'm not worried about a Level 2 in the least. Last year alone I visited the Maldives (Level 2) and Jamaica (Level 3). I realize a lot of people cruise Disney because they want a Disney vacation. We don't view it that way though. The Disney aspects are nice for the children when cruising but if we are in port we are off the ship pretty much the entire time.
I agree with everything you said. When I travel, I travel. I want to see different things and experience each location. We have been to Nassau a number of times and enjoyed ourselves. Yes you absolutely have to take precautions just like you need to anywhere else.

I agree with everything you said. When I travel, I travel. I want to see different things and experience each location. We have been to Nassau a number of times and enjoyed ourselves. Yes you absolutely have to take precautions just like you need to anywhere else.

Yes! The Level 2/3 advisories are reminding travelers to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. And you hit the nail on the head-you should be cautious and aware no matter where you are.

My daughter and I sail this Friday on a 3 night cruise on the wish. Our stop on Saturday is Nassau. I wonder if the captain will divert us to another port? Maybe we’ll find out when we board on Friday.

My daughter and I sail this Friday on a 3 night cruise on the wish. Our stop on Saturday is Nassau. I wonder if the captain will divert us to another port? Maybe we’ll find out when we board on Friday.
I high,y doubt they will divert you to another port. Many Caribbean. Actions have travel rivalries like this consistently. However, on a 3 day cruise I wouldnot even get off at Nassau Even if there wasn’t a security alert. We have been to Nassau 4 times on cruises and have never gotten off

I'm not one for absolutes so I would say your chance of porting in Nassau is 99.9%. I can't even recall how long Jamaica has been a Level 3 and thousands of cruise ship passengers visit there daily, including those on DCL.

A lot of repeat cruisers already do this. They just don't get off in Nassau. Plus cool thing about it is lower crowds! This last time I went we got off and shopped around for like an hour in the immediate secure area then got back on the ship and enjoyed the ship the rest of the day with lower crowds!
I would say though, don’t expect lower crowds on the ship, you’ll be disappointed. From DCL almost no passengers (maybe 100 ppl total, if that) left the ship in Nassau - we just got back from there. We were not surprised since it was similar the last 3 cruises. There were 3 RCL ships next to us - and it looked like the opposite; lots of people heading into Nassau.

I would say though, don’t expect lower crowds on the ship, you’ll be disappointed.
I think that's especially true on the 3-night cruises. Folks stay onboard at Nassau because they don't get a day at-sea to enjoy the ship.

Divert? Absolutely not. No chance. The Wish was just there. There have been other travel warnings, other islands, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter