Typhoon Lagoon vs Extra MK Day?

Kerr84

DIS Veteran
We are trying to decide between getting the new 4 day ticket deal with a waterpark day OR getting the 4 day ticket deal and paying for an extra one day MK ticket. It is me, my sister, and our 3 kids (14, 9, 4). We go every year, but we have never been to the waterparks. I think only Typhoon Lagoon will be open this summer and we are going in June. Any thoughts on what you would choose? I am leaning towards the water park since it is something new for us, but does it get really crowded in the summer? How long are waits for slides? Is there enough for the 4 year old to do? She LOVES all rides and water slides and will go on anything she is allowed, but she can't swim so she will have to wear a life jacket. I am getting mixed reviews on if I can sort of wait at the bottom and help her out at the end of a slide. Any info, tips, or opinions are welcome!

Typhoon Lagoon has a lot of great slides for younger kids. The 4 YO and maybe even the 9 YO should wear a life jacket in the wave pool. The waves are large and have a strong undertow when the water starts going back be warned the pool entry is a little rough and if they fall they likely will get a scrape. There is a first aide station that has plenty of band aides near by in case. Otherwise they will have a great time. NO you will not be able to wait at the bottom of the slides they will not allow anyone to go down if you are standing there it is a safety issue for you and the people coming down the slide. You can stand outside of pool as there are standing areas. For the most part you will not even know when the person is coming down as the person allowing the next to do down can see you but you cannot see the people waiting to come down. There are family raft and tube rides however. There is also smaller areas for smaller kids where you can see them. Can not answer MK or a water park as that is a personal preference. To us regular parks everyday is just way to much and we like resort pool days and going to the water park(s). They do have plenty of free life jackets in case that is a question and plenty of very attentive life guards. The wave pool has a sound and wave you will not soon forget if you decide to go.

My DS (now 16) has loved the WDW water parks over the years, but, when he was younger, he definitely preferred Blizzard Beach. With that being said, with the heat of the summer, I would probably opt for a day at at water park or pool as opposed to another park day. Where are you staying? Perhaps simply a day at your resort pool would suffice? From my experience, for safety reasons, they will not let you stand at the bottom of any slide to help your child.

We adored Typhoon Lagoon; Blizzard Beach not so much. But most kids are pretty happy with the pool at their hotel so another MK day would be nice!

Just so you know (unsure how long your trip is) the 4 day ticket + Water park includes not one visit to the waterpark but up to four

As for the rest- June is so hot. I know I prefer to be in the water VS sweltering at the parks but we also get to visit WDW regularly.

A single day waterpark ticket will be cheaper than a 1 day MK ticket. Typhoon Lagoon has a bunch of different slides , some with tubes, some body slides, multiple family rafts rides,. There is a water coaster type ride. There is a kiddie section, lazy river plus the wave pool simulates the ocean unlike the Blizzard Beach one which is more of a constant bob of waves.

The waterparks don’t open until 10 am so it’s easy to rope drop them and hit the slides before the wait times build.

Just so you know (unsure how long your trip is) the 4 day ticket + Water park includes not one visit to the waterpark but up to four
I’m talking about the new Magic Your Way ticket. It is one day each at MK, Epcot, HS, and Animal Kingdom. Then it is optional to add 1 water park day to it. I’m not talking about the normal ticket option, but thank you!

Typhoon Lagoon has a lot of great slides for younger kids. The 4 YO and maybe even the 9 YO should wear a life jacket in the wave pool. The waves are large and have a strong undertow when the water starts going back be warned the pool entry is a little rough and if they fall they likely will get a scrape. There is a first aide station that has plenty of band aides near by in case. Otherwise they will have a great time. NO you will not be able to wait at the bottom of the slides they will not allow anyone to go down if you are standing there it is a safety issue for you and the people coming down the slide. You can stand outside of pool as there are standing areas. For the most part you will not even know when the person is coming down as the person allowing the next to do down can see you but you cannot see the people waiting to come down. There are family raft and tube rides however. There is also smaller areas for smaller kids where you can see them. Can not answer MK or a water park as that is a personal preference. To us regular parks everyday is just way to much and we like resort pool days and going to the water park(s). They do have plenty of free life jackets in case that is a question and plenty of very attentive life guards. The wave pool has a sound and wave you will not soon forget if you decide to go.
Thank you for all of the info! I meant more like I would go down first then my sister would send her down right after me so I could help her get out at the bottom, but I figured they wouldn’t allow it.

My DS (now 16) has loved the WDW water parks over the years, but, when he was younger, he definitely preferred Blizzard Beach. With that being said, with the heat of the summer, I would probably opt for a day at at water park or pool as opposed to another park day. Where are you staying? Perhaps simply a day at your resort pool would suffice? From my experience, for safety reasons, they will not let you stand at the bottom of any slide to help your child.
We are at Caribbean Beach but we already have a rest day/pool day scheduled so definitely either doing MK again or Typhoon. Thank you for the info!

I’m talking about the new Magic Your Way ticket. It is one day each at MK, Epcot, HS, and Animal Kingdom. Then it is optional to add 1 water park day to it. I’m not talking about the normal ticket option, but thank you!
I know. It adds 4 visits to the water parks (or mini golf before 4pm)

"4-Park Magic Ticket with Water Park and Sports
Enjoy one Admission to each of 4 theme parks (one park per day). Plus, enjoy 4 visits to a water park or other Walt Disney World sports-related fun. Learn More"

I know. It adds 4 visits to the water parks (or mini golf before 4pm)

"4-Park Magic Ticket with Water Park and Sports
Enjoy one Admission to each of 4 theme parks (one park per day). Plus, enjoy 4 visits to a water park or other Walt Disney World sports-related fun. Learn More"
Interesting… they changed the wording since yesterday because yesterday it clearly stated one day. Glad you mentioned it!

Attachments

• IMG_4217.png
    IMG_4217.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
We are trying to decide between getting the new 4 day ticket deal with a waterpark day OR getting the 4 day ticket deal and paying for an extra one day MK ticket. It is me, my sister, and our 3 kids (14, 9, 4). We go every year, but we have never been to the waterparks. I think only Typhoon Lagoon will be open this summer and we are going in June. Any thoughts on what you would choose? I am leaning towards the water park since it is something new for us, but does it get really crowded in the summer? How long are waits for slides? Is there enough for the 4 year old to do? She LOVES all rides and water slides and will go on anything she is allowed, but she can't swim so she will have to wear a life jacket. I am getting mixed reviews on if I can sort of wait at the bottom and help her out at the end of a slide. Any info, tips, or opinions are welcome!
Do TL and just have the 4 year wear the life jacket the whole time (they have them there free for use). We've done this many many times.

I’ll chime in here as a mom of 3 (12, 10, 8) at the time of our trip in July and all three picked a 2 day PH+ option with the ability to do water parks, without hesitation, over any other ticket combo without water parks. For them, they love the freedom of nothing planned on water park days. Our plan is always drive straight to water park on arrival day (we drive from the northeast) and dinner out to watch fireworks. Sounds like you already hose water park, but you won’t regret.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter