Typhoon Lagoon swim with sharks?

IlliniMouse

Mouseketeer
I was talking to someone today who told me years ago she did this and the water was freezing cold. She also said it's a big drop off once you get in the water. Is it still the same way? Do they give you flotation devices? I'd love to do this, but have been known to panic in deep water:confused:at times.(Bad childhood experience) If I have a lifejacket on, no problems.

Thanks! :)

It is cold water but not as cold as I'm used to swimming in in New England. There is a big drop off. It is pretty deep. I've seen kids with floatation devices I think but don't remember seeing adult ones. It wouldn't hurt to ask one of the lifeguards. It is awesome! I think we went through at least three times last April.

Well, it's not too cold if you're there on a warm day! It really isn't that bad. I don't remember ever having a problem with coldness... but I think everytime I've gone to TL it's been super hot.

the experience was really awesome! If you panic in deep water, just prep yourself for it beforehand. Just know that you can't kick and flail your limbs around, realize that there are a lot of animals in the water that you're in (but they're not gonna hurt you!) and it is deep, but it gives you space because you don't wanna be right on top of the animals' homes.

It really is super fun! You should give it a try :thumbsup2

DO IT!

water is much colder than all the other water experiences at the park, but not unbearable. As someone stated above... its a piece of cake if you've ever been to a beach in the northeast. It's a little bit of a shock at first... but you get used to it quick. It is deep so scope it out and make sure it's something you can deal with. I highly recommend it though :)

Depends on your numbers for "deep water". The water is SR is 12 feet deep.

it is a bit cold, but not bad (mind you coming from the UK I am somewhat acclimatised to being cold!) and you can wear a life jacket if you want. You just slowly float through the reef and it's not a very long distance to swim.

Mind you when we were there, one lady swam the entire length of the pool at top speed with her arms flapping and legs kicking frantically (which you aren't supposed to do), all the while screaming through her snorkel "aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhh I HATE FISH I HATE FISH I HATE FISH I HATE FISH"

If you hate fish, I would suggest the shark reef is best avoided :rotfl2:

The water isn't really cold, it's more like chilly. Like others have said...no colder then the water on a northeastern beach.

I also don't like deep waters. It bothers me when I can't touch the bottom. With that said, I had no problems floating along in the shark reef. First, there is a shallow ledge that you start out on, you don't start out in really deep waters. And second, it's a really short swim. I think you'll be fine.

. First, there is a shallow ledge that you start out on, you don't start out in really deep waters. And second, it's a really short swim. I think you'll be fine.

Yup first 10 ft is only 2-3 feet deep youwalk in and swim off at your own pace.
CM lifeguards are great! Dont miss this!

Couple of things. I come from Michigan and have done Shark Reef a few dozen times. Its cold. Cold enough that it takes your breath away as you go in. However you get used to it very quickly. The key is to let it hapopen and try to relax. The effect is compounded by the fact that you are now breathing thru a tube and your first few breaths sound like you are running a marathon. You have just laid down in the water and are in a shallow point so take a moment. Don't feel rushed. As you leave the shallows there is a short swim using only your arms to a rock where if necessary you can adjust your mask, or anything else. Then there is a 40 yd(?) swim to the end. The scenery is beautiful and the salt water will help you to float. In fact the more relaxed you become the easier it is to float on the water. By controlling my breathing I can actually lie motionless on the water without a life jacket. The small fish are 4-24 inches and they will sometimes swim very close to you. The fish will not get close enough for you to touch them even if you try. The rays and sharks stay near the bottom of the pool. Occasional while completeing a loop one will come upto or near the shallows, but you are not in any danger. I don't know what type of sharks they are but I have seen them eating vegetation placed out for them by the CM's. Think of them as veggie sharks, very small now compared to years past when they had 4-5 foot sharks. Usually, some way you will taste the saltwater and that may also be a turnoff for some. The experience is well worth it!

No, it is part of your admission to Typhoon Lagoon. However it is not open everyday. I am not sure where you would check, usually i believbe they keep this attraction open for most of the busy times of the year.

My review: BRRRRR!!!!!

It was freezing cold(we live in MI) very brief, and we are in no rush to do it
:goodvibesever again. Like everything at WDW, try it once, you might love it. We don't!

Have you ever used a snorkel? If not, having it in and goggles on your eyes may add to the panic. I would practice with some beforehand just to get used to them.

If you go, go early in the day! The lines get long for this one.

I tried this last summer. My problem was not the deep water or the cold(it was chilly, but not freezing, and we were there in July). I have even used a mask a snorkel before, but I totally panicked this time. I never did make it across:rolleyes:. I'm not sure what happened, but I tried several times and just couldn't calm myself down enough once I got that mask on.:confused3 I've gone to Discovery Cove and we spent hours in the coral reef there--enjoy!

If you do decide not to go, there is a tunnel to walk through that has portals looking underwater to see the sharks.

Thank you everyone for the replies!:goodvibes It's good to get descriptions of what everyone thought of this.

We're going the end of the month, so we'll see how warm it is that day! Having fish around me won't bother me. And since I now know they have flotation devices I think the only thing I'll be worried about is the polar plunge part of it! :rotfl2:

I laughed pretty hard about the different Michigan opinions. I really didn't think there was anything colder then Lake Michigan. LOL

Can anyone tell me if you can use the Baby Swap for this activity?

I laughed pretty hard about the different Michigan opinions. I really didn't think there was anything colder then Lake Michigan. LOL

Can anyone tell me if you can use the Baby Swap for this activity?

Just in case I'm getting pegged as a wimp, I grew up on Lake Huron in Northern MI and attended many beach birthday parties as a child in late May/June. It actually knocks the wind out of you and you turn blue for real- no exaggeration! :rotfl2: And Typhoon Lagoon is not even close, but still not enjoyable to me. ;)

Mind you when we were there, one lady swam the entire length of the pool at top speed with her arms flapping and legs kicking frantically (which you aren't supposed to do), all the while screaming through her snorkel "aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhh I HATE FISH I HATE FISH I HATE FISH I HATE FISH"

If you hate fish, I would suggest the shark reef is best avoided :rotfl2:

OMG, this is so funny! Poor woman.

What a great thread, OP. I am so glad to read this. I think DS8 is going to do it with me. I am glad I have a better perspective.

Does anyone know - does it open the same time as the parK? Maybe if we do it first, the coldness of the water won't be as significant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter