Typhoon Lagoon Solo

annemce118

Mouseketeer
I have been going to Disney World for over 40 years but have never been to either water park. I never wanted to take away from park time. This year I bought an annual pass so I was thinking about going to Typhoon Lagoon in August. I will be by myself. I have a few questions:
1. Should I go when it opens, or wait until late afternoon?
2. Will it be unbearable in August? Will it be super crowded?
3. I know there are lockers, but where do you put your locker key to be safe?
4. Is the Magic Band waterproof?
5. Being a Passholder can I get my discount at the park when I arrive?
6. The main thing I want to do is the lazy river. Do you think I will enjoy going solo? I never mind going to the other parks by myself.
Thanks in advance!

I was at TL last week and can answer a few of these...

1. We got there around 11 / 1130ish and had no trouble finding a chair (although not in shade). Crowds were very low though.
3. You set a PIN code for your locker when you purchase it. No key required!
4. Yep!
5. I got my AP discount at the gate
6. Absolutely. Sometimes families/groups may get separated with you ending up in the middle of them, but otherwise I think you'll have fun.

I have been going to Disney World for over 40 years but have never been to either water park. I never wanted to take away from park time. This year I bought an annual pass so I was thinking about going to Typhoon Lagoon in August. I will be by myself. I have a few questions:
6. The main thing I want to do is the lazy river. Do you think I will enjoy going solo? I never mind going to the other parks by myself.
Thanks in advance!
I was a solo visitor last week.

I went shortly after it opened-probably arrived around 11 when it opened at 10 (it was a weekday). I didn’t have issues with the crowds at all but I think it looked like lines built up more as the day went on.

Your locker is a digital number, so you just need to remember it. I kept my sunglasses, water bottle, and phone out and even left them at the chair (phone wrapped in a towel) and didn’t have any issues. I saw a lot of full bags of things left on chairs with no one around.

Magicbands are waterproof. I have an AP slider so that was definitely helpful because I noticed once the band came unclicked, but it stayed on my wrist via the slider.

Lazy river was lovely solo. Because it wasn’t busy, I ended up using 2 tubes so I could stretch out. I probably could have even gotten a double tube to lay on. No issues with going solo, and I just closed my eyes and floated along (I got the second tube to help protect my head from the sides or other peoples tubes). I did plenty of slides-the body slides and more intense rafts (Mayday and Keelhaul) didn’t have any issues as you go down individually. Crush n Gusher has 3 routes and one is ok for single riders; the other two need 2 riders. Miss Adventure Falls needs 2-4 people, thankfully the group of 2 behind me was willing to let me ride with them. I didn’t attempt gangplank Falls because it looked like it was family rafts which would need multiple people and I didn’t want to deal with that.

I’m sure you’ll have a fun time!

Have a great time! I have gone specifically to Typhoon Lagoon during a solo trip to stretch out and relax on the lazy river, and I highly recommend it.

Thanks in advance!

1. Either will work. If you go when it opens, no need to be there 60 minutes early like you would a theme park. For a 10am opening, 9:55am is more than sufficient
2. The water parks are never crowded like the theme parks, even in mid-summer. The only challenge with the crowds is that there is no FP+ and the attractions go slowly (i.e. only a few...or one...people at a time) so some lines can get long mid-day
3. Don't know, I don't bother with them. We don't bring valuables in the park, so if a thief really wants my sweaty, nasty t-shirt and towel, have at it.
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes, I don't go solo, I go with DW. However, we float around and often don't speak. We just relax and float, it's fabulous!

Over the summer TL has night time Glo Parties on Thursday and Saturdays after hours. If you want to go on the rides/slides, that is a good way to do it. It is fun to be there late too.

One thing to note, the rides described as "family raft rides" are group rides and you cannot ride them solo. They will ask other groups if you can join, but if that is awkward for you then I recommend skipping them.

Used to do the waterparks solo a lot on days off when I was a CM, and loved Typhoon Lagoon. I will note, though, that the culture around sharing rafts is much different than sharing ride vehicles in the parks--I always found it very difficult to find any odd numbered parties with someone willing to share a raft for Crush n Gusher. Never even tried the family raft rides since I figured it'd be even more awkward. There's just not the built-in expectation of sharing a "vehicle" like you do at the dry theme parks.

I still found plenty to do there, though, so as long as you don't have your heart absolutely set on those particularly attractions, I'd go for it!

Thanks in advance!

We love TL!! It's our favorite waterpark for sure.

1-We always go when it's open. Best chance of getting a shady spot.
2-The heat will be intense, but the best place is at a waterpark. It will be crowded, but if you get there early, you will be ok.
3-I never rent a locker, but you have good advice above
4-Your MB is waterproof.
5-I am not a pass holder, so I am not sure about that.
6-I enjoy going to the parks by myself as well. The lazy river would be fun solo!

Have a great trip!

I have gone to both Disney WP solo (and Volcano Bay at Universal). I did not have trouble at TL getting paired with random people to do the crush N Gusher but I did not do the other raft ride. I always go early and leave by mid-afternoon.

(And people were very nice at VB sharing a vehicle on the water coaster and raft rides.)

You'll want to go first thing. Afternoon thunderstorms are the norm in August and will shut down the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter