Type 1 meal questions

momofdbsdc

momofdbsdca
Hi Everyone-This was our adr plans that I made at our 180 dates. That is before our daughter(9) was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this week. For anyone that has dealt with this problem , could you please help me. I am trying to figure out what changes to make, if any. I have copied and pasted in it's original format.

Also, she is being treated with Lantis and Humalog at this point. Lantis at 7pm every night and humalog at meals.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Well, I finished making all my adr's...until I change my mind again!
Feb, 24 Boma 10:45 am (free day-probably DTD)
Feb. 25 LeCellier 11:30 am (Epcot at RD-leave mid afternoon)
Feb. 26 RFC 11:45 am (AK at RD-using RFC as break)
Feb. 27 Sci Fi 11:20 (HS aka MGM at RD-leave mid afternoon)
Feb. 28 we will be at IOA (Margarittaville here I come!)
Feb.29 WCC 2:40 pm ( we are using this as our break; I thought we would explore WL also. What do you think?!) MK at RD-Spectro and Wishes hopefully!
March 1- off day Dinner at Ohana 5:40 pm (Wishes is at 7pm that eveing, so hopefully we will get to see it again!)

March 2 Garden Grill 2:40 pm (unsure of this one?! ) Arrive at Epcot mid-day and stay for Illuminations. I am considering going to Beaches and Cream or Espn instead...any input would be appreciated!

March 3 IOA/Universal -cs
March 4-off day-DTD -pack/clean
March 5- Check into AS Movies- HS mid day and stay for Fantasmic PTC 2:45
March 6-Chef Mickey's 10:05 am My 40th birthday breakfast!!! Hopefully a P&P party this evening!

March 7-CRT 9:55 (BBB 8:50)-girls only (I know this is early especially after P&P, but it's our last day and we can sleep in tomorrow, so what the heck!)
CP 10:15 -boys only!
Mid-day break?
LTT 5:20 pm-unsure if we will be hungry!
We will stay for Spectro if we are up to it, if not we will go back and veg. Another option was possibly a Wishes Cruise, we will see.

March 8-1900 Park Fare 11:10 am Farewell breakfast! We have never had breakfast here, so I thought we would try it...Maybe I should switch to Ohana?!?!?!

Kim
momofdbsdca

:hug: My middle son was just diagnosed with type 1 last November- Nick uses Novalog for meals and Lantus before bedtime-your food choices are just fine!-

I'm not a doctor- just an experienced Mom- take this advise under your own counsil- this is how we handle the buffs and so on-VERY IMPORTANT for vacation- don't give her her insulin shot until right AFTER her meal- lots of times exercise and heat make kids not hungry- she may think she is going to eat all of her meal but infact, eat a good bit less or fill up on drinks causing you to have to scramble to get enough carbs into her to cover the shot-
-
We have found that we can encourage Nick to eat healthy with his diabetes anywhere we go- we don't mention it- just say things like- wow- that salad looks good- that cheese appe looks good - lets order that- the buff. are the easiest because he can get lots of vegis and load up on his meats- I guess our only hard fast "rule" is he has to fill up on low carb choices then he can have a dessert of his choice- that way- he often has little to no room for the "bad" carb choices- not really much different from most parents saying- eat your dinner before dessert-

Since she is so new to diabetes- she will probably be "honeymooning" and have fair sugar control for your trip- we have found that Nick needs little to no insulin with his meals if he goes lower carb combined with all of the walking in the parks - we have had insulin free days!:cheer2: :yay: :woohoo: Of course, he always gets his bedtime shot but still- exercise for Nick works wonders- another thing you can do is eat your meal- do some walking/riding and then 2 hours later check her sugar level like normal- then have your icecream or sweet snack- walk some more and she will probably have good control during the trip-

I do want to caution you on one thing- make sure you carry a small juice or tube of cake gel- if she goes low on you she will probably not notice -being new and being entertained- it hit Nick really fast and we just gave him juice- he bounced back rather quickly- follow the juice with a snack ( for Nick around 30 carbs or less right now- it fluctuates ) so she will not go high from the juice and then dip low again- the snack will stop that low dip- you want to keep her sugar levels as even as you can on this trip as you will not be as attentive as you may be at home due to the rides and so on too! The gel is for use if she faints- just turn her on her side and squirt a small amount of gel between her cheek and teeth- not too much- you don't want her to choke- if she is passed out the gel will absorbe into the mucus membranes - while you wait for the 911 people to arrive- do you have a perscription for a Glucagon Pen- it's an emergency needle/pen used to bring her blood sugar levels up quickly-

You will be fine and believe it or not, her diabetic care will become second nature for your family- I promise!:flower3:

Thank you for the great suggestions Daydreamer!!! Actually, I took her out to lunch today, and was unsure how much she would eat, so I waited. It worked out great. So far, her only lows have been at 3 am and 8 am. We are still trying to get her dosages set, but of course that may take a while with "the honeymoon period" I keep reading about!

Thanks again for the great advice!
Kim
momofdbsdca

So far, her only lows have been at 3 am and 8 am.
momofdbsdca

Nick has been diagnosed for 10 months and we are still adjusting his meds! Does you DD have a snack before bed to help keep her BG levels stable? - a snack of nuts or cheese with 8oz of milk seems to keep Nick stable the best through the night. Good Luck!

Hi momofdbsdc,
Daydreamer64 has given you lots of great advice. My DS is 16, he was diagnosed on September 21st 2006. DS is on Lantus and Novorapid (not sure if you call that one something else in USA). He always has a snack before bedtime, usually cereal. I hadn't thought to suggest that he has nuts or cheese with a glass of milk, that's a great idea and I am sure it's something he would like for a change.

Things will be easier by the time you go to WDW :hug: , you really do get used to it.

DS is still in his "honeymoon period" , not sure how long it usually lasts for. I was told it was different for everyone.

Have you seen this http://allearsnet.com/pl/diabetes.htm about diabetes at Disney? I found it really interesting.

Take care

Your ADR's look fine. The thing to remember is that a diabetic can eat what ever they want in moderation and as long as they plan for it. I can eat sweet stuff and it will barely affect my glucose level let me even look at a potato and I'm through the roof. The thing to remember while at Disney is to taste and taste often. The excitment, heat, and exercise can drop BS fast. I always keep the little juice boxes with me and drink those if someone notices I'm going low. My parents took me to Disney the day after I was relaised from the hospital after daignosis back in 89. I remember them telling me later how scared they were but were determined not to treat me differently. Take a few deep breaths and enjoy your trip.

Lissa

Thanks everyone! she does get a bedtime snack every evening. She had another dip this evening (65), we gave her juice and it went up to 96. This was about an hour after her evening Lantis dose. I know that it is all just a time of adjustment, and on the overall, I think we are doing good, we just twitch a bit more than we use too!;)

Thanks for looking over our meals for Disney. I was worried about the times that I had chosen (pre-Type 1), but it sounds like we can make it work with planning!

Thanks Again!
Kim

We went do WDW after my son was diagnosed and taking shots. He was using humulin n and humalog and again we went after he went on the pump. He did fine both times. He used less insulin because of all the walking and we had to keep an eye out for lows. The First Aid station stored his insulin in their fridge and it was also a nice clean place to administer his shots. (humulin and humalog are mixed together into one syringe and he got shots twice a day) .

The Calorie King is a great book for Carb counting. It even had funnel cakes which we always have when we go to MK and I wasn't going to take away from him.

A great website that has a great chat room and alot of info is
www.childrenwithdiabetes.com. if you have not seen it, you should check it out.

You will have a great time at WDW. Enjoy:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter