Two Years and Already Decided to Sell

Did you stay mostly (or always) in studios? The reason I ask is that the 1 BRs are more "apartment like", with a refrigerator and separate bedroom. That's the big lure for us-no more hotel rooms. But I'll admit that we have been using our points at non-WDW locations (mostly HHI). Sounds like you're doing the right thing for you.

Our first stay was at BWV in a 2BR - we had previous year's points banked and loved it. OKW, SSR and Poly were all studios. We liked Poly a lot, OKW was nice, would stay there again and SSR was not for us.

I think this goes back to the idea that DVC is not for everyone. You must do your research and see if it fits for you.
My guess is, if they had really evaluated things closely, they never would have purchased in the first place. This is one of those things where its easy to get caught up and buy on a whim. Not a good idea.
I think it would be interesting to see how long the average DVC member holds onto a membership.

We actually researched this for a couple of years and were finally in a position to make the purchase. I wouldn't have changed a thing about our process, but appreciate you trying to guess what I was actually thinking and feeling.

We're in year 26 and have no plans to sell anytime soon, most likely our children will take ownership someday.

Posts like this are exactly why its important to remember that people are different and DVC fits adults who have bought into the "Disney Lifestyle" far better than it fits people who buy when the kids are young who won't continue to vacation at Disney once the kids outgrow it. And yes, not all kids do, but many decide that they'd rather vacation other places.

If you are lucky, you can buy when the kids are young, sell in a few years, and get your money and more out of it - like the OP. And if you aren't lucky, you can take a bath like people did in 2009 and 2010. So, like the stock market, its best to buy and hold.

We actually researched this for a couple of years and were finally in a position to make the purchase. I wouldn't have changed a thing about our process, but appreciate you trying to guess what I was actually thinking and feeling.
I have to say I think the other posters comments are quite presumptive.

Tardis did his research, got in at a good time, with a GREAT contract (loaded) and essentially stayed at Disney for free.

I fail to see how this was a bad decision for him.

Big Disney fans - made at least one trip (and sometimes multiple) every year from 2009 to this year. I ran Dopey in 2014 and Goofy in 2017. Did a adult only trip for a milestone birthday for my wife - you get the picture. We like it. A lot. Finally decided to pull the trigger and buy resale in 2016 AFTER the April 4th cutoff for perks. 200 points at Boardwalk at less than $100/pp at the time.

Spent our first trip at BWV in a 2BR overlooking the Boardwalk in May 2017 - great trip. Zero complaints. Went again later that fall for 1 night at OKW and 2 nights at SSR because we had a few leftover points. That trip was just meh - OKW hadn't had the upgrade and I felt SSR was a slightly better themed version of a Hampton Inn.

We spent a week in a studio at Poly for spring break and really loved it. Room was a little tight, but I loved the theme and the bathroom layout worked well. Another great trip.

So, why are we selling? A few reasons:

1. I'm honestly a little Disneyed out. I know they are making changes and upgrades - Pandora is cool, I'm sure Toy Story Land is worth seeing at some point, but we need a break which leads to point #2.
  2. My kids have been so many times and they are getting older. There is so much to see in the world that I'd like to use those vacation dollars elsewhere.
  3. The annual fee is ALWAYS there and will ALWAYS increase. There is no discount because I purchased resale and I don't get the few perks.
  4. Prices increased and we are actually making a little bit of money by selling now.
  5. We are honestly OK staying at Moderate resorts - POFQ being a favorite.
It would have been ideal for us to have purchased in 2009 when our kids were much younger, but, you know, daycare and stuff. Finally could afford it and it was just a little too late.

Everyone has different reasons for buying and selling. This is our story for good or bad.

TB

Edit - corrected to say we stayed in a studio at Poly, not a 1BR. Also corrected a misspelled word (than --> that).

Moderate resorts are incredibly expensive today. I priced out Coronado because my son wanted to try it, but no way am I spending $250 a night when i can be at AKL or BLT in a one bedroom. I bet we are looking at much higher priced after Star Wars opens.

To realize the value of DVC for us, we bought in before we had kids. It meant we had to finance but we paid it off quickly. We bought in with the minimum then, 150. So did focus on Disney until the principal was paid off but that was only a couple years.

Still our best purchase 22 years later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter