Two Scooters, one party

I visited RIV in June with a relative in a power chair, and we found the Riviera Skyliner incredibly frustrating.

To get off, you have to flag someone to stop the whole line so they can remove your blocks. This is easy enough if you have someone able-bodied, but if not, you're just screaming like a maniac. They won't let you move the doorstops and just scoot off, even though the chair is certainly more capable than a stroller. And they won't let you back in, because no one knows how to drive a rental scooter backwards. So, you're facing away from them. This is stressful, when you know you have to flag someone to get off.

RIV is a midpoint on the Skyliner. So, to get on, you have to wait for an accessible car. These are marked by a red flag on top, or a mickey sticker, or sometimes nothing. In the middle of the day, with many empty cars whizzing past, they made us wait 10 minutes for an accessible car. I can see how this would be a huge problem at peak times. Compare to the endpoints, where they're always there. It's glorious.

The sklyiner won't fit two rental scooters, even if you wanted to do it. I doubt they would let you. I guess it would fit two Whills, but there's only one set of doorstops.

Riviera hallways were surprisingly narrow, considering it is a brand new build. We had to back up and get out of the way of a double stroller and of someone with a bunch of luggage. We have never done that at any other hotel in Orlando.

In general, the Skyliner is AWESOME in a wheelchair. Riviera is the only exception I've encountered.

Last edited:
I can how wheelchairs probably don't need blocks if they have the brakes on, but I'm thinking if someone on a scooter accidently rammed the doors of the gondola there could be a problem? So I'm hoping they still have the blocks in place for scooters!

In June, we were using a high tech chair that definitely didn't need the blocks and asked not to use them. We were told they are required to. My guess is that you could roll backwards and hit your head if your chair was in neutral or was manual.

In June, we were using a high tech chair that definitely didn't need the blocks and asked not to use them. We were told they are required to. My guess is that you could roll backwards and hit your head if your chair was in neutral or was manual.

I believe it might also be so that if the Skyliner was hit by a gust of wind (or had some other issue) that it would prevent an unprepared, unbraked wheelchair user from possibly slamming side-to-side - and causing the car to rock sideways even further…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter